Tortola Island Tour Excursion

We are trying to find some options of island tours other than the Princess excursions.  We will be arriving on May 23.  Our time is 9-6.  We like scenery, history and learning about local culture.  Any suggestions, or should we just do the Princess excursion?

Thank you for your thoughts!

31 minutes ago, 2806 said:

We are trying to find some options of island tours other than the Princess excursions.  We will be arriving on May 23.  Our time is 9-6.  We like scenery, history and learning about local culture.  Any suggestions, or should we just do the Princess excursion?

This CC thread will assist,,,,,, good info

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 2806 said:

Unfortunately that attached thread can be confusing and contains info on other destinations…But if you decide to look into other excursions that and other threads are helpful.

For Island tours you have a couple great options. Tortola is the most beautiful island in the group, in our opinion, and an island tour (with a nice beach stop) is a great idea…

You can just hop one of the shared safari taxis that provide various island tours, you will see them identified, or you can ask the nice ladies at the information area for guidance. 
The typical tours include spectacular views and photo ops from high up, and some interesting highlights. Other longer tours include a beach stop, typically Cane Garden Bay which you can read about in the Gorgeous Beaches of the BVI post.

A private tour gives you a much nicer experience and you can choose your itinerary with help from the driver. The people of Tortola are wonderful, and meeting locals off the beaten path just give a much more personal experience…Just gives you the opportunity to stop at a less crowded beach, or see areas your fellow passengers will not. You’d have more to share at dinner! 😉

If interested in the latter, AC’s Taxi would be our choice.
http://www.info-res.com/actaxibvi/

Edited by blue_water

Do you like hiking? We did a tour that was a lot of fun with history that was pretty amazing and how various plants are used for medicinal purposes and trees that explode and so on. It was a great tour. They also stopped at various places along the way to tell us about different things. But, it is a hiking (easy) tour. I would highly recommend it (and there's several different tours you can do with them depending on your interests). 

HERE is my review with tons of pictures if you are interested. You'll have to scroll down the page to where it starts. 

2 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Do you like hiking? We did a tour that was a lot of fun with history that was pretty amazing and how various plants are used for medicinal purposes and trees that explode and so on. It was a great tour. They also stopped at various places along the way to tell us about different things. But, it is a hiking (easy) tour. I would highly recommend it (and there's several different tours you can do with them depending on your interests). 

HERE is my review with tons of pictures if you are interested. You'll have to scroll down the page to where it starts. 

We do like hiking but my husband has a bad back so we need to find easier hikes. Do you think this would work for him?

8 hours ago, 2806 said:

We do like hiking but my husband has a bad back so we need to find easier hikes. Do you think this would work for him?

I have a bad leg (4 years ago I broke my leg and ankle to the point where my foot was on backwards. After 3 surgeries and several blood clots, including being in a wheelchair for awhile, I can finally walk right again since last year. I still have a lot of swelling and pain, but can walk) and I found the walk to be very easy and on level ground...EXCEPT for a small area at the beginning where you go down a small hill. It was fairly easy enough, but I held my husbands hand. Otherwise, it's a super easy walk. They also have another tour that goes to the pineapple field as well and it is supposed to be easy too. 

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

I have a bad leg (4 years ago I broke my leg and ankle to the point where my foot was on backwards. After 3 surgeries and several blood clots, including being in a wheelchair for awhile, I can finally walk right again since last year. I still have a lot of swelling and pain, but can walk) and I found the walk to be very easy and on level ground...EXCEPT for a small area at the beginning where you go down a small hill. It was fairly easy enough, but I held my husbands hand. Otherwise, it's a super easy walk. They also have another tour that goes to the pineapple field as well and it is supposed to be easy too. 

Thank you so much. Great information!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2024 at 8:14 AM, mitsugirly said:

I have followed your reviews in the past, when getting ready for a new cruise.  Can you advise which company you booked the Bamboo Meadows cruise through?   Thanks, 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Derbie said:

I have followed your reviews in the past, when getting ready for a new cruise.  Can you advise which company you booked the Bamboo Meadows cruise through?   Thanks, 

Acknowledge the invitation on Antigua to post on this thread for Tortola.

One has stated many times that the beach experience is to be found on Brewer,’s.

With regard to tours, could you state interests, wish to see, etc., because then one, plus CC, can assist.  There is so much to see/do, so it’s best to prioritise one’s bucket.

Also, one invites @blue_water to join (and follow) these exchanges, as they appear to have a finger on the pulse of all that’s good and currently happening in BVI

Edited by PORT ROYAL
BVI

19 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Acknowledge the invitation on Antigua to post on this thread for Tortola.

One has stated many times that the beach experience is to be found on Brewer,’s.

With regard to tours, could you state interests, wish to see, etc., because then one, plus CC, can assist.  There is so much to see/do, so it’s best to prioritise one’s bucket.

Also, one invites @blue_water to join (and follow) these exchanges, as they appear to have a finger on the pulse of all that’s good and currently happening in BVI

Thank you very much!  I would appreciate @blue_water offering up any advice.  Also, I will dig a bit, and come up with our "must do" list. 

On 4/5/2024 at 4:21 AM, Derbie said:

Hike BVI.  Sorry just seen this