Let's do the time warp ...

Posted (edited)

On top of the curious International Date Line references, that's not Symphony in the photo but rather looks like a Freedom class (can't tell which, the photo is too blurry).

Edited by joepeka

You know, I have long thought that RCI hires some of the best ship architects, designers, builders and so on. So, how can their IT dept be so consistently and even comically poor. Where do they recruit from, who does the hiring etc?   It is almost as if they just don’t care about that aspect of their business. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joepeka said:

On top of the curious International Date Line references, that's not Symphony in the photo but rather looks like a Freedom class (can't tell which, the photo is too blurry).

Looks like Independence with that trampoline ball on the back. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 8:23 PM, onthewater51 said:

You know, I have long thought that RCI hires some of the best ship architects, designers, builders and so on. So, how can their IT dept be so consistently and even comically poor. Where do they recruit from, who does the hiring etc?   It is almost as if they just don’t care about that aspect of their business. 

If I had to guess, I would imagine it is all outsourced.

I've been in the software development field since the late 90's and can't count the number of times I've seen it seen software development and IT infrastructure viewed as an easy chance to save $$$.  A company might decide to outsource the work to India or Mexico, Vietnam, etc. or they may fail to make the proper investments to modernize their systems.  It always comes back to to bite them though, either a little each day (which they'll ignore) or in a big way (look at the Southwest Airlines issue a while back.)

The reality is that properly operating, well designed systems reduce costs. 

• Like 1