For cruisers who were recently on the Emerald

Knickearth

We are going on the Emerald and I recently noticed the cruise is sold out.  If any of you have been on a sold out Emerald cruise I would like to know the experience.  Were there long lines or events you couldn’t participate in?  How was it using the buffet or getting seated in MDR.  Any info appreciated.

2 hours ago, Knickearth said:

We are going on the Emerald and I recently noticed the cruise is sold out.  If any of you have been on a sold out Emerald cruise I would like to know the experience.  Were there long lines or events you couldn’t participate in?  How was it using the buffet or getting seated in MDR.  Any info appreciated.

Our cruise over Christmas and New Year's on Emerald in 2023 was close to sold out - Explorer's Lounge and Princess Theater, Piazza were packed, but that's how it is on most sailings, guests flock to the popular events. Buffet was very busy, but if you head to the back of the ship, we were able to get seating. We were also on the following sailing (did a B2B) with 1,000 less guests, and it was chill. Just pack your patience. 

FWIW, as the cruise industry has bounced back most cruises are sailing full or very close to capacity.  The post-covid days of ships sailing at 50% capacity are long gone!!!

• Like 1

We were on the Emerald in August of last year. Ship full, over lower berth capacity. Many kids on summer vacation. Should have known better. The ships are going to be crowded for now.

All I can tell you is what you already know. When crowds gather, there will inevitably be the inconsiderate few who are selfish, impose on others, or just drunk.

I felt the crew should have handled some situations better, chair hogs, card playing in the buffet at mealtime... but on this sailing, to my view, they didn't, and the ship being so very crowded, it's harder to just look the other way and go on with your vacation. Agree with startedwithamouse, pack your patience.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

It really depends. Panama cruise in January we were at all cabins occupied per staff (I did see some cabins without a name on them) but only 2800 guests onboard. Must have been a lot of solo occupancy cabins

No venues ever felt over crowded

Edited by fpsphil

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Knickearth said:

Was just on the Emerald for 29 days.  With one of the cruises sold out and the one prior to that pretty close to be sold out. 

Pretty much the same as any other Princess cruise.  Need to get to the theater early for seats, especially with the production shows.  Same with the other entertainment events those in Explorers also tended to fill up and one should plan accordingly.

Biggest problem with the Buffet and Lido is the number of people that occupied the outdoor tables on Lido for hours (basically saving them just like people were saving lounges by the pool).  Both of these where warm weather cruises (Panama Canal and Circle the Caribbean).  That put more pressure on the inside table space for the buffet, but was usually able to find a table.

MDR seemed to be pretty efficient in seating folks, at least at the times when we ate there.

Basically things are pretty much back to pre-covid, though I have never seen as many people saving lounges and tables on Lido.

Edited by TRLD

We are booked on the Emerald for Panama in January, we decided on January because kids are in school but with cruises being back to full capacity - it doesn't really matter. You just need a little bit of luck on your particular sailing...

Try to pick events ahead of time and plan accordingly.

On 3/19/2024 at 9:30 AM, LACruiser88 said:

FWIW, as the cruise industry has bounced back most cruises are sailing full or very close to capacity.  The post-covid days of ships sailing at 50% capacity are long gone!!!

I'd say that the ships are more packed than in the pre-Covid days. People are still traveling like their lives are depending on it, and cruises are cheaper in price per day than flying somewhere and staying at a hotel/eating at local restaurants.

I'll be on the Emerald for the eclipse/PC cruise, and expect it to be roughly like my recent sailings on the Discovery and Regal, maybe slightly better overall due to the lower capacity, but possibly slightly worse in the buffet since that's quite a bit smaller. Book your specialty restaurants early, get to the big theatre shows early, eat at times when every single body else isn't also eating, etc.

We got off the multy showed Emerald March 6

What stood out to me was the hovering hoard waiting to pounce on the few blue covered seat in the Princess theatre 5 min. before production show start.

Premier package people gave up their right to a blue seat just prior to show time. Late comers without that package hung out next to the wall like vultures cause the rest of us had filled all seats early.

By the way Kevin our eloquent CD mentioned the ship was full...2954 SOB.