NCL Air

Cobbnana52

Norwegian will be booking our flights from Atlanta to Rome in September.  Has anyone done this route before and what times and layovers did you have? Wondering if it would be better if we arranged for our own flights and paid the extra. TIA

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

What routings or schedules might have occurred in the past, are just that...in the past. The cruise lines get whatever the cheapest and easiest routes for the cruise line. What the might have been able to book last summer may not be available at all, or at a reasonable price this year.

• Like 1

It's like what they say on the mutual fund commercials.  “Past Performance is Not Indicative of Future Results”.  Even for the same cruise, what another person gets has no bearing on your tickets.

Is it better if you arrange your own flights?  Only you can make that determination, along with whatever is YOUR definition of "better".  Suffice to say, you won't get a pig in a poke and will have full control over your travel details.  Perhaps at a lower price, perhaps at a higher.  All cases are different, so there is no singular blanket answer.

• Thanks 1

Knowing what I know about NCL air, that is you have ZERO control over ANYTHING unless you pay to deviate, book your own.  You could wind up connecting 3 times each way and arriving at weird times.

Their "free" air is "free" because you're taking what they have.  They're getting cheap air cheaper so chances are it's not going to be non stop or easy.  Just because you're starting in ATL doesn't mean you get a nonstop flight to FCO.

IF it were me, I'd book my own.

Posted (edited)

There is a pinned thread just above this that has a ton of background information explaining what and how cruise lines work their air programs. The thread is a bit older but still has valid information even today to help you make an educated decision. Cruise Air "can" save you money. But, there can be some drawbacks. You have to decide the level of risk you're comfortable with.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1