Princess appears to have pulled a swifty with Plus/Premier drinks value limits

For those who booked with Princess Plus or Premier before December 2022, it looks like Princess has pulled a swifty over drinks value limits.

Using Plus as example:

Princess originally offered the Plus Fare at Standard plus $40pp per day with a drinks value limit of $16 (AUD). In all fairness to Princess this probably was a bit on the low side so they increased it to $50pp per day extra. The drinks value limit didn’t change.

In December 2022, Princess released a new version of Plus, at $65pp extra, and including speciality desserts, fitness classes etc. The drinks value limit was raised to $22 and this new limit applied to earlier versions of Plus although those weren’t eligible for the extras. At the same time prices for most drinks increased. This was certainly the case when we cruised on Grand Princess in March 2023 and we enjoyed the $22 value limit on that cruise.

However it appears that Princess have now reneged on this drinks limit increased for Plus packages bought before December 2022. No notification of this change has been announced to my knowledge. I only became aware of it during an online discussion.

I checked the website under Drinks Packages and there are now two links for T&Cs:

PrincessPlusLinks.JPG.ec139c9ec5bea7f5f8a86adc138e45e2.JPG

For packages bought before December 2022 it states this at the beginning of the T&Cs:

PrincessPluspreDec22.JPG.45aa0c9521036ea54acd287a74f7314d.JPG

Packages bought after that time have this at the beginning of the T&Cs:

PrincessPlusNew.JPG.5a24d3b8475b77dc39a03a4b519a33be.JPG

Princess have also added a “weasel” clause which I don’t recall ever seeing before under drinks packages T&Cs, but I might be wrong on this.

PrincessPlusModify.JPG.0e6b5c3ec000c0652a4b914c62c251c0.JPG

Similarly Premier Fares booked before December 2022 have had their drinks value limit reduced back to $22.

I suspect this change was introduced recently when they brought out the latest versions of Plus/Premier.

I haven’t been able to easily find current drinks price lists, the latest I have is from March 2023, so I’m not sure how this will affect the range of drinks available under the older Plus fares. However if you choose a drink over the limit you still only pay the difference so that’s some consolation.

Interestingly following email landed in my inbox today. Although it mentions all the new stuff it does not mention the change back to the original Plus drinks value limit.

Important Information About Fare Inclusion Changes.

We wanted to let you know about updates we’ve made to our cruise experience to help you make the best choice for your upcoming voyage.

·         We've introduced new prix fixe casual dining options at some of our favorite restaurants like Planks, Steamers, Alfredo's, Gigi's by Alfredo, Ocean Terrace, and Kai Sushi (availability may vary by ship). Prix fixe cover charge is AU $22.99 per guest, with a la carte items also available for purchase.

·         A diverse array of exceptional culinary choices are available at no cost, ensuring a top-tier dining experience throughout your journey. Choose from multicourse meals in all main dining rooms, buffet-style delights at World Fresh Marketplace and Horizons Court, treats at the International Café, pizza and other poolside offerings at Slice, Coffee & Cones and more, as well as our traditional stateroom breakfast available using the classic door-hanger menus.

·         OceanNow® delivery: A nominal one-time access fee of AU $22.99 per guest per voyage will now apply to access unlimited OceanNow delivery.

·         Room service fee: An AU $7.50 delivery fee per order will be charged for all room service orders (except complimentary stateroom breakfast orders).

·         These new enhancements have been added at no charge to guests booked on new Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages that have been purchased since 14 December 2022.

While you currently are booked on a package that does not include these new benefits, in light of these changes, Princess Cruises is providing an onboard "AU/NZ regional spending credit" of AU $25~ to those on Standard cruise fare or Plus/Premier bundles purchased prior to 14 December 2022. This will be issued on the first day of sailing and is not combinable with the new Plus & Premier packages (purchased since 14 December 2022).

Should you prefer to upgrade to a Princess Plus or Princess Premier package to take full advantage of these new perks, you can easily upgrade using the Cruise Personalizer® tool.

2 Cruise Package Options. Click here to find out more

To upgrade, please contact your travel agent, or visit Cruise Personaliser here

• OzKiwiJJ changed the title to Princess appears to have pulled a swifty with Plus/Premier drinks value limits

My other question is the $7.50 room service charge applicable to all orders  (except breakfast)regardless if you have activated the Ocean New fee? This question is for the old package! What about for Suites?

I just dug out my original paper work and it states the confirmation for the cruise  as 20th December 2022 but this is apparently old package?

So many questions now to get answered quickly!

I was on the Coral from 12 to 26 February and the Service Desk gave me a pocket guide, which was clearer & more comprehensive than anything else I have seen on this topic.  It sets out exactly what you get on the old plus, old premier, new plus and new premier.  Old plus says $22, old premier $30, new plus $22, new premier $30.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, resordanis said:

I also got this email today so with no mention of drink on the old plus package. in February 2024 the horrible de bortelli  SSB was $14 a glass.

This is the latest drinks list on Coral at the moment. Two of the red wines are now over the $16 limit - the only two I can drink! 🤬

PrincessPlusDrinksListMar24.thumb.jpg.6165c940ebeedba4ef72a7dbe6c55016.jpg

Anyway I've already budgeted to buy wines by the bottle at the 25% discount you get with Plus. I just hope I can still get my favourite cocktails and after dinner drinks.

I will be on board in less than 2 weeks, so will be interesting!

OzKiwiJJ when you said you bid for a suite on your world cruise it gave me an idea to put in a bid for our upcoming 21 night Royal Princess cruise. I bid (not overly high) on the cheapest forward facing suite and got an aft facing penthouse! That’s why I am asking whether room service is included. Fingers crossed for you!

Now to sort out the wine problem😩

4 minutes ago, resordanis said:

My other question is the $7.50 room service charge applicable to all orders  (except breakfast)regardless if you have activated the Ocean New fee? This question is for the old package! What about for Suites?

I just dug out my original paper work and it states the confirmation for the cruise  as 20th December 2022 but this is apparently old package?

Originally they announced the room service charge would only apply if you phoned Room Service but who knows what they really mean. 

How much did you pay for the Plus fare. If it was $65pp per day I think you'll get the lot. It's the $40 and $50 versions that they are restricting.

The thing that really irritates me is that they hiked the drinks prices, to the point of ridiculousness in some cases, when they bought in the first $65 version. That's why they originally allowed all versions to have the new $22 limit.

We have no intention of upgrading our Plus fare as we would be paying an extra $25pp per day for just the higher drinks limit. We aren't interested in all the other rubbish. If we want a drink above the limit we'll just pay the difference. However we will probably try to get a meeting with one of the senior food and beverage people about this plus the fact they still haven't fulfilled their promise of 25 wines by the glass under Plus.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

This is the latest drinks list on Coral at the moment. Two of the red wines are now over the $16 limit - the only two I can drink! 🤬

PrincessPlusDrinksListMar24.thumb.jpg.6165c940ebeedba4ef72a7dbe6c55016.jpg

Anyway I've already budgeted to buy wines by the bottle at the 25% discount you get with Plus. I just hope I can still get my favourite cocktails and after dinner drinks.

On Majestic in February I think most cocktails were under $15 roundabout!

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Originally they announced the room service charge would only apply if you phoned Room Service but who knows what they really mean. 

How much did you pay for the Plus fare. If it was $65pp per day I think you'll get the lot. It's the $40 and $50 versions that they are restricting.

The thing that really irritates me is that they hiked the drinks prices, to the point of ridiculousness in some cases, when they bought in the first $65 version. That's why they originally allowed all versions to have the new $22 limit.

We have no intention of upgrading our Plus fare as we would be paying an extra $25pp per day for just the higher drinks limit. We aren't interested in all the other rubbish. If we want a drink above the limit we'll just pay the difference. However we will probably try to get a meeting with one of the senior food and beverage people about this plus the fact they still haven't fulfilled their promise of 25 wines by the glass under Plus.

I am just trying to work out what we actually paid. It definitely wasn’t $65. At the time we got extra $300 OBC for taking the plus package. . I think I paid $40, but when I booked I could actually get a nice a Pinot Grigio for $11 certainly not the Willowglen crap they now flog for $14.

our cruise planner some months ago says it would cost another $400 each to upgrade, certainly not for us! First phone call Monday for me! 

They are not the only line to diddle people who bought a drinks package for their cruise that included a range of drinks that are now no longer included by the time they sail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, resordanis said:

I will be on board in less than 2 weeks, so will be interesting!

OzKiwiJJ when you said you bid for a suite on your world cruise it gave me an idea to put in a bid for our upcoming 21 night Royal Princess cruise. I bid (not overly high) on the cheapest forward facing suite and got an aft facing penthouse! That’s why I am asking whether room service is included. Fingers crossed for you!

Now to sort out the wine problem😩

We only bid for a mini-suite, and it was a fairly low bid. We got an email today saying we had been outbid and did we want to increase our bid. Nope, we only have a certain amount we can spend on an upgrade as it's the world cruise. We have a BA balcony so that will have to do us.

There is only one way around the wine problem unless you want to haul wine onboard with you and pay $30 per bottle corkage. Buying wine by the bottle at the discount seems the best option to me and they do have some decent wines by the bottle. Seriously overpriced though.

2 hours ago, resordanis said:

I am just trying to work out what we actually paid. It definitely wasn’t $65. At the time we got extra $300 OBC for taking the plus package. . I think I paid $40, but when I booked I could actually get a nice a Pinot Grigio for $11 certainly not the Willowglen crap they now flog for $14.

our cruise planner some months ago says it would cost another $400 each to upgrade, certainly not for us! First phone call Monday for me! 

We paid $40pp per day and it was before cruising actually restarted here. Unfortunately by the  time cruising did restart they had switched to the new wine list with all the rubbishy de Bortoli wines. I hit the roof when I saw the poor selection of wines they were offering under Plus. They have never honoured the 25 wines by the glass as promised. Now two of the reds are over $16 which leaves me with one drinkable wine on the list - the rose.

44 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Pincess keeps thowing up reasons for me to keep looking elsewhere.

Ditto!

We have significant FCCs from the world cruise itinerary change. Once we've used those up it will probably be "Bye, Bye, Princess".

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We only bid for a mini-suite, and it was a fairly low bid. We got an email today saying we had been outbid and did we want to increase our bid. Nope, we only have a certain amount we can spend on an upgrade as it's the world cruise. We have a BA balcony so that will have to do us.

Thats interesting. Are they turning it into an auction now? I thought your bid was either accepted or not. End of.

Posted (edited)

I think you are going off half cocked and there is a miscommunication over a set of T&C that hasn't updated.

We have cruised on an old ($85) premier package. The cap for drink prices was $30, as is the case for the current $95 package.

We didn't get priority seating, fitness classes, Alfredo's, Ocean now delivery, fat desserts in our $85 fare. However, we did get $25 OBC and drinks up to $30.

Your recent email says nothing about changes to drink price caps. Your wine menu shows Plus by-the-glass inclusions. They have one menu, not an old plus menu & a new plus menu.

There is no weasel clause in action, apart from Ocean Now & Prix Fixe charges being imposed to something that was free at the time of booking, as they did a year ago. You are just allowing the inconsistencies of Princess documentation to play on your insecurities. I can assure you that you can drink shitty glasses of wine to the value of $22 on your old plus package.

Edited by arxcards

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

Thats interesting. Are they turning it into an auction now? I thought your bid was either accepted or not. End of.

Definitely not, it is an auction. In February we were asked to pay an extra $78 for a premium deluxe balcony. We declined but got the premium deluxe balcony anyway.,we are extremely happy with our bid and what we got on this upcoming cruise.

Edited by resordanis

17 minutes ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

It always was an auction, but it was meant to work as a silent auction.

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I think you are going off half cocked and there is a miscommunication over a set of T&C that hasn't updated.

We have cruised on an old ($85) premier package. The cap for drink prices was $30, as is the case for the current $95 package.

We didn't get priority seating, fitness classes, Alfredo's, Ocean now delivery, fat desserts in our $85 fare. However, we did get $25 OBC and drinks up to $30.

Your recent email says nothing about changes to drink price caps. Your wine menu shows Plus by-the-glass inclusions. They have one menu, not an old plus menu & a new plus menu.

There is no weasel clause in action, apart from Ocean Now & Prix Fixe charges being imposed to something that was free at the time of booking, as they did a year ago. You are just allowing the inconsistencies of Princess documentation to play on your insecurities. I can assure you that you can drink shitty glasses of wine to the value of $22 on your old plus package.

Hope so Geoff, all will be revealed I guess. As I said recently as long as I can get a drink and not to pay extra, we will be happy. Certainly not worried about extra desserts or extra restaurants.

3 hours ago, resordanis said:

Your door card for breakfast doesn't incur a charge, true.

Phone and app orders to cabins (including suites) incurs a $7.50 per order charge, unless you use your OBC to activate Ocean Now delivery for one of you.

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

Your door card for breakfast doesn't incur a charge, true.

Phone and app orders to cabins (including suites) incurs a $7.50 per order charge, unless you use your OBC to activate Ocean Now delivery for one of you.

So if I activate the Ocean Now that includes room service? We will do it for one as we have the $25 added to our cruise summary ( you actually brought this to our attention Geoff some months ago) Thank you!

1 minute ago, resordanis said:

So if I activate the Ocean Now that includes room service? We will do it for one as we have the $25 added to our cruise summary ( you actually brought this to our attention Geoff some months ago) Thank you!

Via the app, yes. 

Via the phone, I think yes but can't be sure as I didn't test it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

Via the app, yes. 

Via the phone, I think yes but can't be sure as I didn't test it.

Thanks, as it is a 21 night cruise, I think I will have it sorted out by the end!🤣

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

No, I've heard of a few instances where they've played the outbid card.