Rotterdam: Review my Pre-Cruise Sightseeing Plans?

We're sailing out of Rotterdam this August 2024 and were hoping for a bit of a sanity check with what we're planning.  We have never been to Rotterdam but have been to Amsterdam and vicinity a few times.

The plan is to take the train after a couple of days in Paris (long story but that's where we're flying into) and arrive in Rotterdam in the early afternoon the day before our cruise departs.  We're planning to stay at the Marriott across from Rotterdam Centraal.  Is it realistic to visit these places and neighbourhoods (on foot) that afternoon and evening:

Markthal

Cube Houses

Hoogstraat

Beurstraverse

Lijnbaan

Witte de Withstraat

We want to keep the pace fairly leisurely and not too ambitious.  Also want to make sure the areas are active and fairly safe into the evening (ie Back to the hotel by around 10pm'ish?)

And the morning of departure, I was hoping to confirm we could check-in our bags at the terminal and exit so that we could explore the area near the terminal a bit: Hotel New York, Fenix Food Factory, etc.

Sounds perfectly reasonable. I guess you will be having dinner somewhere along that route, I would suggest an easy outdoor dinner on one of the terraces at the Oude Haven (next to the Cube houses): https://www.cityrotterdam.com/en/visit/areas-rotterdam/oude-haven/.

There's a pedestrian bridge between Hotel New York and the Fenix hall. I am sure you can drop bags and roam around before coming back.

Rotterdam centre is relative safe at night, just like any other big city. You will be fine at 10pm in the centre with maintaining normal to high tourist caution. The city centre's clubs and bars, student associations form the nightlife crowds, also the Centraal Station generates some foot traffic for the night trains to Amsterdam etc., don't worry about them. 

General rule of thumb but you seem seasoned: After dark keep on the main streets, don't flash anything of value, don't be to obvious a tourist, keep walking, don't interact or respond to potential troublemakers, etc. all the common sense. 

Enjoy Rotterdam! :classic_happy:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

I guess you will be having dinner somewhere along that route, I would suggest an easy outdoor dinner on one of the terraces at the Oude Haven

I think we were planning to just snack throughout the day but the Oude Haven looks like a fantastic waterfront area. We may have to stop for a bite here too while visiting it.  Thanks for the tip!

3 hours ago, Swash Buckler said:

Depending on your starting time, I would do the shopping streets, ea Lijnbaan,  first, those are more less deserted at night. End at Markthal for a bite and maybe getting some snacks. 

We're still debating the order along similar lines of thought.  We considered visiting Markthal closer to the end as it is also probably the furthest point on our route.  But it's also one of the key places we want to visit and I want to make sure we're there early enough that most of the vendors are still open. I think their website shows they are open until 8pm (with only some restaurants with separate entrances open later).  And I suppose we could also visit the morning before we board.  So, yup, need to work on the timing.  

• Like 1

We are flying into Amsterdam in October for the transatlantic cruise, which is sailing out of Rotterdam. We have been to Amsterdam for two other cruises so we thought we would go straight to Rotterdam Central from the airport by train.  This will be our first time taking the train but everyone makes it sound simple so we are going to give it a try.  We would like to stay close to the cruise port but my concern is when we get to Rotterdam Central are taxis available or will I need to call one when I get there?

19 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Sounds perfectly reasonable. I guess you will be having dinner somewhere along that route, I would suggest an easy outdoor dinner on one of the terraces at the Oude Haven (next to the Cube houses): https://www.cityrotterdam.com/en/visit/areas-rotterdam/oude-haven/.

There's a pedestrian bridge between Hotel New York and the Fenix hall. I am sure you can drop bags and roam around before coming back.

Rotterdam centre is relative safe at night, just like any other big city. You will be fine at 10pm in the centre with maintaining normal to high tourist caution. The city centre's clubs and bars, student associations form the nightlife crowds, also the Centraal Station generates some foot traffic for the night trains to Amsterdam etc., don't worry about them. 

General rule of thumb but you seem seasoned: After dark keep on the main streets, don't flash anything of value, don't be to obvious a tourist, keep walking, don't interact or respond to potential troublemakers, etc. all the common sense. 

Enjoy Rotterdam! :classic_happy:

Some good information, thanks for posting. We are staying two days pre cruise on the old SS Rotterdam in Aug. 

Sunset around August 3rd in Rotterdam is around 21.30. So it will be "dark" around 22:00.  Perfect time to be back in your hotel.

If I remember well, we brought our luggage last year to the cruise terminal around 09:30 in the morning.  You can then perfectly visit the surroundings, even come back for the check-in, visit your cabin for a moment and go back ashore (maybe to cross the bridge and visit the old quarters on the left hand side (as seen from the m.s. Rotterdam or the Cruise Terminal) .And maybe take a watertaxi back to the Hotel New York location next to the terminal and ship?   Enjoy your stay.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, shipshapegirl said:

my concern is when we get to Rotterdam Central are taxis available or will I need to call one when I get there?

There will be a line of taxis waiting outside the train station. Just follow the signs for taxi. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up question!

We will be in Rotterdam on a Tuesday and see that the the Markt Binnenrotte seems to be happening nearby the Markthal.  We've pulled up some youtube videos and reviews on it but was hoping for some additional commentary to determing if it's worth it for us to try to arrive into Rotterdam earlier to visit it.  Thanks!

10 hours ago, Milhouse said:

Follow up question!

We will be in Rotterdam on a Tuesday and see that the the Markt Binnenrotte seems to be happening nearby the Markthal.  We've pulled up some youtube videos and reviews on it but was hoping for some additional commentary to determing if it's worth it for us to try to arrive into Rotterdam earlier to visit it.  Thanks!

The Tuesday market is a real 'market'. So more food (cheese, meat, bread etc) for locals to do their groceries. In my opinion not a tourist attraction. But combining it with the cube houses and the Markthal, its fine to add 30 min or so.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Milhouse said:

Follow up question!

to determing if it's worth it for us to try to arrive into Rotterdam earlier to visit it.  Thanks!

Forgot to answer the actual question: I would not bother or skip other things prior to your arrival in Rotterdam (if that's the case) to see the street market, it's close by and does not take hours. Wandering around the street market will perhaps take 30 minutes off your Markthal visit if it's not done in 10, the Markthal definitely is the more attractive place.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We're debating which train to take to get us into Rotterdam at different times:  11:32am, 1:32pm, or 3:32pm.  There's a slight/neglible price difference but we're also trying to factor in how early we want to wake up and balancing a bit of the morning in Paris versus enough time to see a bit of Rotterdam.  ie How much time/priority to give to Markt Binnenrotte; which is likely falling low on the list based on the feedback.

We did see the Euromast on various lists.  But it didn't make the first cut because it was a bit further out from where we wanted to initially explore.  If we're able to get up early and explore the next morning before we board, we might jump on the metro and go a bit further afield and visit the broader areas of the Euromast, Delfshaven, and Heemraadspark.  It's really going to be dependent on how we feel (might still be a bit jetlaggy).  

Edited by Milhouse
add: Markt Binnenrotte comment

I would leave the Markt Binnenrotte for what it is, if you go by foot you can plan your route to walk along or over the market towards the Markthal (route: Rotterdam Marriott hotel, Weena/Hofplein fountain, Cool Singel/City Hall) unless you are really looking forward to the street market experience but it's just local hustle. I personally would not sacrifice an easy morning in Paris for it! :classic_happy:

Your 3:32PM arrival might sound a bit late for your leisurely pace but still doable to me, it still gives you >6 hours for a 10:00PM end. An earlier train might give you some extra time or leverage but it would be a second or one drink at dinner thing in the end I think! On the other hand: perhaps the 1:32PM arrival biggest benefit is that it still gives you enough time even if it runs late for some unforeseen reason.

• Thanks 1

I can see from the maps where everything is & it gives us a good idea of what we can see & do. Thanks to every one for posting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klinkschakel said:

If you like architecture, don't forget to have a good look at the Central Train station!

It could be your starting point or end stop if you follow FreestyleNovice route.

We are arriving & departing Rotterdam by train.

• Like 2