Accessible vs Regular Cabins

mamafun

My husband has mobility issues due to a head injury.  He currently uses a wheelchair for anything but very, very short distances.  We are considering getting him a Rollator to try to give him a little more independence.  We currently have an accessible inside cabin booked for our November cruise, but in the event he gains more steady mobility, I'd hate to take that cabin away from someone who needs it more.

Can anyone weigh in on whether a folded Rollator could fit through a normal cabin door?  And, he definitely will need a shower chair and hold bars in the bathroom (shower and toilet), so I don't know if that is even a possibility in a regular cabin. 

I will be asking this on the disabled travel forum, but they don't get a lot of traffic and it's obviously not Princess-specific.  If anyone can weigh in, that would be great.  I think he would be most comfortable in the accessible cabin, but again, I know there are folks who might need it more.  Maybe I'm overthinking things?  TIA

1 minute ago, mamafun said:

@reedprincess thank you!  I knew deep down that I was, but it's nice to have it confirmed.  We haven't been on a cruise in y-e-a-r-s and I want it to be as easy as possible for him.

The accessible cabin will help make that happen!

Happy sails... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mamafun said:

My husband has mobility issues due to a head injury.  He currently uses a wheelchair for anything but very, very short distances.  We are considering getting him a Rollator to try to give him a little more independence.  We currently have an accessible inside cabin booked for our November cruise, but in the event he gains more steady mobility, I'd hate to take that cabin away from someone who needs it more.

Can anyone weigh in on whether a folded Rollator could fit through a normal cabin door?  And, he definitely will need a shower chair and hold bars in the bathroom (shower and toilet), so I don't know if that is even a possibility in a regular cabin. 

I will be asking this on the disabled travel forum, but they don't get a lot of traffic and it's obviously not Princess-specific.  If anyone can weigh in, that would be great.  I think he would be most comfortable in the accessible cabin, but again, I know there are folks who might need it more.  Maybe I'm overthinking things?  TIA

How kind of you to think of others, but it sounds like your hubby needs the accessible room to be safe and comfortable. He may not be totally handicapped as some other guests, but it sounds like he needs the accessible bathroom with hand-rails so he can shower more safely. The last thing anyone needs is to fall and injure themself while taking care of everyday health and hygiene, at home or on vacation. Please enjoy the chosen room without guilt, your husband needs that extra care and comfort right now. No worries and safe and happy travels.

Lorie

• Thanks 1

Keep your cabin. We cruised with my 95 year old father in an accessible cabin. At the time he could walk with a walker but we rented a wheelchair for the trip. He used the walker in the cabin but we used the wheelchair anywhere else on the ship and when we left the ship. The accesible bathroom was amazing. Regular cabin bathrooms just don't have the room needed for someone with mobility issues. Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

The bathroom is the big issue with a normal cabin unless you are in a full suite. A mini-suite has a shower in tub which would probably be difficult. A balcony, outside, or inside has a very small shower - it has grab bars but wouldn't have room for a seat even if they would provide one.

Other than the bathroom, a normal cabin would probably be OK. If he could use a cane instead of a rollator inside the cabin, he would be OK. A folded rollator or even a collapsible wheelchair would fit through a normal door if he can walk to the hallway and he has someone else to roll the folded rollator or wheelchair out the door for him.

DW has some mobility issues and we do not book a mini-suite on Princess because of the shower in tub. She doesn't need an accessible cabin, but we will book either an outside, a balcony, or a full suite to get the walk-in shower.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks to all of you for reassuring me that I wasn't selfishly "taking" a cabin from someone who needs it more than we do.  Yesterday's doc visit with my husband actually cemented for me that we will definitely need the accessible.  THANK YOU