Amsterdam Hotel Suggestions

We’ll be needing a hotel for 2 nights in Amsterdam prior to an ocean going cruise.

Hoping not to have tp pay more than $200 per night in early July  and will need one with an elevator (which would be next to impossible to find in a B&B). 

Wondering about areas where other cruisers tend to stay (?). To qualify that, I mean not a $900 per night Marriott, for instance. (I actually saw that on the TA hotel list today) I’ve also seen other relatively nice looking hotels for under $200 a night  but they are likely far away from where we need to be. I realize I am a little late in search but the date of our mine trip just recently changed.

I’m having a little difficulty figuring out the names of areas that would be within a fairly short taxi ride of 10 -15 or so minutes from the port. It’s not always easy to tell what the name of the area is that a listed hotel is actually in. (The search features on this site do not list the port or Central Station).  We’d like to stay someplace where there are moderately price restaurants around that is considered a fairly safe area. We’ve spent a couple of days visiting this city before and did get around a bit by tram, so being not super far from it would be a plus. 

DH is somewhat disabled and will use a folding travel scooter. He can usually walk short distances and climb s flight of stairs (when there is a bannister),  but I’ll be handling our two 26”  suitcases & a carryon, lugging them myself. . Since the scooter fits into a car trunk snd can be folded like a rolling suitcase, that’s why we’re planning on getting a taxi to the ship instead of using some other method. 

I would love to hear some suggestions and get some input from those in the know or who have had similar hotel needs. Thanks for any helpful information!

3 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

We’ll be needing a hotel for 2 nights in Amsterdam prior to an ocean going cruise.

Hoping not to have tp pay more than $200 per night in early July  and will need one with an elevator

Those needs sound very unlikely in your hoped for price range, which is extremely cheap for central Amsterdam. Is $200/night a genuine budget constraint or just what you think you should be paying? Amsterdam is now regarded as one of the most expensive tourist cities in the world, I'm afraid.

Which hotels have you found? You can get some views on their location (and facilities) if you let us know. 

I’m afraid @Cotswold Eagleis right - $200 won’t get you much in central Amsterdam.

The cheapest hotels tend to be in the south of the city, in the area south of the A10 ring road and Amsterdam Zuid station, or in the modern Amstelkwartier nearby.

They’re both some distance away from the historic and tourist areas but they’re perfectly safe, easily accessible via tram or metro and only 15-20 minutes by cab from the main cruise terminal.

I appreciate all of the information above and don’t have time right now to look up hotels that I saw that were more reasonably priced just to prove they are out there. However,I did realize that those were not that close to the city center based on travel time listed to the airport. Was hoping there were some in that range closer in, though.

We will have to take a cab from the airport to the hotel, but I was hoping we wouldn’t have to spend a fortune getting from the hotel to the port by taxi. I know a couple of those hotels were in the area marked Noord (so northern area I guess). I’m not really opposed to the southern district either, but just want to make sure of the names of the areas I should be looking at and to find an area that isn’t pretty “sketchy”. The only sightseeing I am hoping we get to do is possibly visit the Zaanse Schans (sp?) area and maybe do a late afternoon or evening canal cruise, though we have done one before. (Always a pleasant thing to do.) So staying in a place which would not be very difficult to get to where we can access those things would be helpful. 

As far as the price, I’m hoping not to spend more than necessary as the stay in Amsterdam is basically just to wait until time to embark on our cruise. Decided to do an extra night’s  stay just to adjust to the time a little bit before we get on our ship.

Thanks to everyone who took the time and made the effort to reply. Anymore suggestions welcome!

Could one of the hotels have been Hotel NH Amsterdam Noord? I can see some decent rates for there in July. That could be a definite candidate. 

Noord Amsterdam is not too far out - but it's the other side of the canal to the main sights, the station and the cruise port. There's a free ferry from the back of Central Station, which makes it walkable, but there are also pubic transport options.

Hopefully some of our Amsterdam experts will be along to give opinions, but I know that some of Noord is pretty nice - a 'village within a city' as they say.

• Like 1

A quite random Google on neighborhoods; https://amsterdamguiden.nu/en/neighborhoods/

image.thumb.png.c9264311f43b8ebfe794e633dae9e4ec.png

Noord is across the large IJ canal, with free ferries. Look into https://www.amsterdamsights.com/about/ferries.html

The cost of a taxi from Noord is general higher than one from the Centre as your taxi has only three car tunnels to cross the IJ.

About the sketchiness, almost any neighborhood has their fair part, some more than others. In general avoid Nieuw West, Oost but you probably won't find any lodging there too. Westpoort is industrial harbors. Oud Zuid is fancy. Your best place would still be anything inside the canal belt with your limited mobility.

Public transport in Amsterdam is very efficient, even with a scooter. See https://www.gvb.nl/en/accessible-public-transport

If you like, could you share your actual dates so we can really help with finding a deal? Priceline.com might have a deal or use a site like Trivago to compare the different prices.

On the other hand, if I re-read your post; why not stay outside the city in a small/smaller town? Like north of Noord, or anything in a 15 min car radius from Schiphol airport?
our taxi costs would be higher but with lower B&B (perhaps one with ground floor bedroom?) pricing your lodging would be way less. And restaurants will have more moderate pricing. Just a thought that I had! :classic_smile:

Cotswold Eagle, yes,  that was one of the hotels I had seen. There were several others. I recall once started with XO in the name. There was a Mercure did the south and another modern hotel in that area but it sounded like there was a 10 minute walk for transportation. Something called the RAI is in that area. There are a number of others but the locations aren’t as great as being in the city center of course. I had planned to spend some time looking tonight, but too many things have come up and I haven’t gotten to it.

FreestyleNovice, thanks for the great link! It certainly names several areas. Sometimes hotel descriptions do not say the name of the community or area they are actually located in. I did get a Frommers Guide at the library and there is a great map yet simple map tucked into the back flap, as well as a number of maps on pages in the book, which are much more helpful than anything else I’ve seen.  However, I would never expect someone else to do that legwork for me! People on here are so good about sharing information that it’s all adding up together to help me get a better handle on finding someplace.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mlbcruiser said:

started with XO in the name

XO is a small chain of hotels in Amsterdam, so important to note which one you’re looking at when you get time for more research!

47 minutes ago, mlbcruiser said:

Something called the RAI is in that area.

RAI is a convention centre complex, so there are a bunch of hotels serving that. Rates no doubt will vary according to what events are on. Good variety of quick connections to the centre via train, tram or metro. 

Sounds like you are looking in the right areas, so good luck with your search! 

Don't forget that Taylor Swift is going to be in Amsterdam with three shows - Thursday through Saturday.  I'm that is also contributing to the higher prices you're seeing.

We've booked at the IBIS, but we'll also be there for five nights as we're coming early to do some sightseeing.

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2024 at 1:46 PM, tomcherv said:

Don't forget that Taylor Swift is going to be in Amsterdam with three shows - Thursday through Saturday.  I'm that is also contributing to the higher prices you're seeing.

When her tour schedule included Edinburgh concerts, hoteliers (and indeed all accommodation providors)  were heavily criticised  for increasing prices by at least 2 to 3 times- and they still sold.

mlbcruiser, If she is indeed performing on your dates, you could struggle to find anything in Amsterdam with pricing closer to the norm..  Won't be easy but I think you may need to decide between location and cost. Could you perhaps consider a nearby town instead?  One with easy access to Amsterdam. I am thinking Leiden or Utrecht, both with many trains daily and only a short distance to travel.  You could book one close to the train station.

Or perhaps one of the Dutch based members could suggest an alternative, although some suggestions have already been made in earlier posts to this thread..

Edited by edinburgher

Taylor Swift is turning out to be the reason for the extreme pricing on the hotels in Edinburgh. I only found that out last night. The same thing happened to us in Edinburgh, which I’m not sure maybe I have mentioned. Our trip was originally going to start in Scotland. That is not the reason we are not going to be in the U.K. this trip now, though. However, at the time I had decided we were going to stay in Glasgow instead to Skye from either city.

I actually have found a number of accommodations that would be suitable. Booked something last night with the ability to cancel, if necessary and the total price is about $100 more in total than I wanted to pay initially. Base price is fine. It’s those extra fees….

The ideas of booking slightly outside of town are good ones but after thinking it over, we decided since we’d likely enjoy being in the center of things a bit more, we might as well,  since the price is very reasonable considering the situation.

Really appreciate all the advice and help!

Thank you!

• Like 3

I find it helpful to use Google Maps.  You can search by map area, so make sure the map is showing the area near the port and then search that specific area.  You can also sort by the date you want to stay and set filters for price as well.

I'd be happy to take a look and see what I can find for you.  I know early July...if you don't mind sharing the dates I will take a look. 🙂

1 minute ago, love2crews. said:

I find it helpful to use Google Maps.  You can search by map area, so make sure the map is showing the area near the port and then search that specific area.  You can also sort by the date you want to stay and set filters for price as well.

I'd be happy to take a look and see what I can find for you.  I know early July...if you don't mind sharing the dates I will take a look. 🙂

A quick search took me to Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-North Riverside.  Their website states they have a lift to all floors.  Breakfast buffet is included and it's about an 8-10 minute drive to the Amsterdam Passenger Terminal.  It looks like prices for early July are around $200 (give or take a little, not sure of your exact dates). 

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/gb/en/amsterdam/amsmk/hoteldetail/amenities?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-EX-_-NL-_-AMSMK

16 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

Thank you for the info.  We are already booked elsewhere but I know many people like the Holiday Inn Express. 

Care to share where you have booked, Thanks

Posted (edited)

Ibis Amsterdam Center Stopera.  

better price than most and pretty good reviews. Certainly close to the center of things and transport, etc.  Plus not real far from the port.

I realize all hotels in 18 are not always of the same quality etc. but we stayed in an ibis in France less than two years ago and it was very good on all counts.

Edited by mlbcruiser

Posted (edited)

We stayed at a very cool place last fall, called Pension Homeland. It was very reasonable. There is a small, but slow, elevator. The restaurant there is amazing, locally sourced food, its own brewery and home baked sourdough to die for. Taxi to cruise ship cost 8 euros. It is small so might be booked up, but it's worth a try.

Edited by grannyshell

22 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

Ibis Amsterdam Center Stopera.  

better price than most and pretty good reviews. Certainly close to the center of things and transport, etc.  Plus not real far from the port.

I realize all hotels in 18 are not always of the same quality etc. but we stayed in an ibis in France less than two years ago and it was very good on all counts.

Thank you. We have stayed at Ibis in 2 different  cities before, and have felt we got good value.