“Modesty” dress code in Italian/Spanish cathedrals?

Hi there!

First time cruiser to the Mediterranean in a couple weeks. I have chronic illness and “run hot”, and when I get hot it turns into nausea which can turn into worse.

For that reason, I usually wear lightweight airy clothing. We are going to a few cathedrals in port which require: no shorts, no exposed shoulders, no midriff, dresses must fall to mid thigh. 
i will probably wear either a dress or capris , both with sleeveless top part. I have a scarf I picked up , I also have a lightweight but long sleeved cardi, but I’m considering purchasing a chiffon kimono style over shirt. 
however, they are very translucent. Would it still satisfy the requirement of “no exposed shoulders” if their outline can be seen through a light top? 

thank you!

-Tara

While I haven't been to Europe in several years, in Italy (including St. Peter's Basilica) the requirement was only to cover the shoulders and the knees. It didn't matter the type of material. In Vatican City outside St. Peter's there were many vendors selling thin shawls/pashminas for women who came unprepared. A few euros later and they had a solution.

• Like 2

Pick up an inexpensive oversized linen button down shirt.  Lightweight and easy to carry if need be.  I ran around with 2 of them 2 years ago in Italy and France when the temps were over 100F.  I got my first one in France in a little store in Aigues-Mortes (I LOVED that barge cruise) and then picked up another in the San Lorenzo Market in Florence.