How long is the cruise into Flam and Geiranger?

We don't want to miss these fabulous fjords but the cruise line doesn't necessarily tell you when they are entering the fjord. So I'm looking for information here. If we are in Flam at 8 AM when will the ship start the fjord? If we are in Geiranger at 8 AM when will the ship enter the fjord? Are there notable sights not to miss - like the Seven Sisters waterfall and how about how far are these into the fjord?

It takes about 6 hours - I recommend being on the upper decks 3 to 4 hours before arrival - around sunrise (4:30am depending on the date).

Seven Sisters waterfall is close to Geiranger - approx. 45 minutes before arrival.

It is the same fjords when entering and leaving, but in the evening there is dinner and often many other activities - so best in the morning - there are very few guests on the upper deck in the morning.

• Like 2

Both Flam and Gerainger are many many miles from the sea (Flam is on Sognefjord which is almost 130 miles from the coast at the furthest point!) as soon as you leave the North Sea you are therefore entering the fjord and will usually be cruising overnight, although depending on time of year it may not be dark for long.

Get up as early as possible.  Head to buffet, coffee and enjoy the slow cruise to the port.

• Like 1

This information is tremendously helpful. Thank you so much. If I didn't know this I might choose to sleep in and get up around 7:45 and "go into town" instead of being on deck early to SEE WHAT WE CAME TO SEE: NORWAY!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

This information is tremendously helpful.

A little dependent on the weather, but it is breathtaking to sail slowly through the magnificent fjords.

This is the entrance to Geiranger early morning and the Seven Sisters Waterfall-

all good advice....   Note that our cruiseline (Cunard) said nothing to us about FJord schedules, etc.   I was the only person on deck at 5 am.   It was likely the most beautiful part of the trip.  Of course you sail out as well but the evening sail out could be worse (or better) due to weather, winds, sun, and of course dinner plans....

• Thanks 1

Mogens (hallasm),

Thanks for posting your video.  I plan to be on deck at about 5 am to view the sail-in to the fjords.  Your video was from the same early June time frame that my RCL cruise is this year.  I know the weather can be quite variable, but what do you remember the conditions to have been for temperature and spending hours out on deck?  Maybe 10 C (50 F)?

39 minutes ago, CaptJerry51 said:

I know the weather can be quite variable, but what do you remember the conditions to have been for temperature and spending hours out on deck?  Maybe 10 C (50 F)?

Yes, June 4 - sunrise at 03:50. The weather was very fine that day, but a little chilly and windy on the upper decks so early in the morning. The temperature was above 50ºF.

I wore a North Face windbreaker.

I like to be on deck taking photos in the morning, and being on an upper deck makes it easier to switch between sides of the ships to get both views. For the sail-out, I like to relax in an upper-deck hot tub (especially when the temperature outside is a bit chilly) to relax from a day of exploring, and because the view looking upwards is a fun and different perspective.

• Like 1

@Thejuggler & @hallasm Thank you for the great tips.  I also would have been out much later than I should be.  Now I know better🙂  @hallasm  Thank you for the video.  

I will be on the Jewel early July 2024 for the Arctic Circle Cruise.

@BuckeyeMark  Thanks for posting the questions.  I have been researching and watching tube video's, I continue to find useful info.

26 minutes ago, Cherful59 said:

I will be on the Jewel early July 2024 for the Arctic Circle Cruise.

Enjoy the midnight sun and the North Cape. be prepared that it may be somewhat colder north of the arctic circle.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, hallasm said:

Enjoy the midnight sun and the North Cape. be prepared that it may be somewhat colder north of the arctic circle.

Thank you so much for posting this, it beautiful!

Posted (edited)

We've done North Cape in July twice .. a light jacket was plenty both times ....

take advantage of the opportunity to become a Blue Nose if your ship offers. This was on Viking Ocean .... they turn a hot tub into an ice bath ... those blue bags are all ice and they replenish frequently!  Following your dip, a certificate, a dab of blue frosting on the nose and some aquavit ...  

Edited by Capt_BJ