Credit Cards for Best Travel Insurance

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

My main reason for the card is free travel. I have not paid for a flight in a long time. Transferring points to Hyatt or booking Hyatt through Ultimate Rewards has been great. I have the Freedom card and Freedom Flex. This quarters category’s are restaurants and hotels. It stacks so I am getting 7% when I eat out. 

Do you earn points on your Freedom Flex that you can transfer to your CSR or is it just cash back? I might have to look into getting that card as well to maximize my points even further!

Edited by JamieLogical

11 hours ago, mnocket said:

CSR is a great travel card, but you need to understand what it is, and isn't, good for.  If you're often looking for trip cancelation insurance for trips that fit within the $10K person/ $20K maximum limit, it's a great solution.  These limits fit the needs of much of my travel, and in those rare instances where it doesn't, I can either buy an additional policy or self-insure the excess.

Where if falls short is medical (and possibly evacuation) coverage.  As mentioned, $2,500 is really inadequate for covering all but the most basic medical incidents.   Therefore if you don't have a health insurance policy that covers out-of-country care (note: while Medicare does not, some Medicare Advantage policies do), it's wise to purchase medical coverage for international travel.  I've used GeoBlue.  These policies typically offer $500K - $1M evacuation coverage whereas CSR is only $100K.  

So I find CSR to be a great solution for my trip cancelation needs, and since I've gotten a Medicare Advantage policy that covers me during international travel - I'm pretty much set.  Plus the points I've earned are very nice too🙂

Thanks for the trip cancellation part of CSR. I also have regular trip insurance. I have an issue regarding mobility that really could make travel brutal. I'l try to do PT and make it but if not do you think CSR easier than the one I have booked through USAA. TIA.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Thanks for the trip cancellation part of CSR. I also have regular trip insurance. I have an issue regarding mobility that really could make travel brutal. I'l try to do PT and make it but if not do you think CSR easier than the one I have booked through USAA. TIA.

To be honest, I haven't looked into how CSR handles pre-existing conditions.  I (fortunately) don't have that concern (yet).  Hopefully, someone here can chime in.

15 hours ago, mnocket said:

To be honest, I haven't looked into how CSR handles pre-existing conditions.  I (fortunately) don't have that concern (yet).  Hopefully, someone here can chime in.

From what I understand, if the injury/illness occurred after buying the insurance then you're fine.