First time to Alaska

We have been on several cruises but this Aug will be our first Alaskan cruise, what are the main things that are different? What do I need to change in packing? Other then obvious clothes, weather, etc!!!

August should be pretty nice weather.  Maybe some showers, but not cold.  Pack a very lightweight water resistant coat.  If you need anything warmer, by it in port.  There is a great store  near the port where you can buy good quality sweatshirts or t-shirts with caps for a really good price.  DO NOT forget to bring binoculars.  Many many many hours of day light ( I think the sundown is close to midnight-ish).  If going thru Inside passage, just wander out side and go from side to side.  Dont really need a balcony, because it will stop you from seeing what's on the other side.

Layers are key. Temps can vary wildly.

If you are going in to Denali National Park...100% Deet for the mosquitos. Those things swarm you and will feed on anything less.  Not sure if any other place has mosquitos that you'll need it for, but good to have just in case.

Take a good camera with a really good long distance lens. My now ex was able to catch a full whale breach from nose up to tail down by using sport mode.

I don't agree about not getting a balcony. Yes, you may miss something on the other side, but it's also a great place to escape and just watch for the wildlife. My mom and I were able to hear the "snap, crackle, pop" of the ice floes as the ship sailed toward Hubbard Glacier. We couldn't hear that up on deck as there were too many people talking. The ship made a full circle at Hubbard Glacier, so everyone was able to get a look at it. 

Biggest thing...if you can afford to spend an additional week inland, do it! Either before or after your cruise doesn't matter...inland views are SPECTACULAR!!! Plus you can't see Denali unless you add a land based portion (very easy to do on your own).

Word of warning though...Alaska will leave you wanting to go back again and again.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, H3one6B said:

We have been on several cruises but this Aug will be our first Alaskan cruise, what are the main things that are different? What do I need to change in packing? Other then obvious clothes, weather, etc!!!

If you have a stop in Juneau, go whale watching. In Skagway, take the train (recommend train one way, bus the other for two points of view, if offered). If Sitka -- Fortress of the Bears and/or otter-viewing boatride of the bay.

For packing: waterproof your shoes and wear wool/wool-blend socks, and take a hat. In the Adirondacks, we would say -- if your feet are cold, put on a hat! Gloves wouldn't hurt, either.

We were in Alaska during the month of September and because the weather had been cold, no mosquitos at all in Denali.  In fact, there wasn't a cloud in the sky for the two days we were there. I totally agree with previous poster...try to end the cruise in Anchorage and add on a week of driving around in a rental car.  It is a gorgeous place and this way you can stop when and where you want.  That's how we got those two clear days in Denali. 

We are headed that way again but in late May.  Our August sails have been amazing - warm enough to be in shorts for sailaway and again in Skagway.  The trick is to pack lightweight layers - coolest day is glacier viewing but last Sept we were in sweatshirts on the top deck for our sail in and out.  A lightweight rain parka is a top layer over whatever you need under.  I find a baseball cap is good as it will keep the rain out of your eyes (don't choose to mess with an umbrella).  I wait until about a week before sailing to look at the long range forecast to make final decisions on packing.  Also really used magnet hooks on the wall or ceiling to let damp items dry.  Unless you are hiking on muddy paths we have never needed more than waterproofed sneakers/walking shoes.  Enjoy every bit of the beauty.

We were there in May 2008.People on CC told me to bring winter clothing which we did.Temperatures were in the 70’s.We did a 7 day land and 7 day cruise.Normal temperatures as we were told by residents were much lower.