A silly question (well, maybe not silly, but a question, nonetheless)...about Platinum+ dining reservations

So...I see that Platinum and above can book Specialty Dining reservations at 125 days out. Fine.

But final payment isn't until 120 days out.

They actually let you book dining before you've fully paid? I assume, so since people have done it. It just seems counter-intuitive.

We're coming up on our first Platinum cruise in September, so haven't ever thought about this before.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

So...I see that Platinum and above can book Specialty Dining reservations at 125 days out. Fine.

They actually let you book dining before you've fully paid? I assume, so since people have done it. It just seems counter-intuitive.

We're coming up on our first Platinum cruise in September, so haven't ever thought about this before.

You do understand it correctly!  Just remember to book any "for fee" restaurants first (any/day time you want, but make them the first you enter!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

You do understand it correctly!  Just remember to book any "for fee" restaurants first (any/day time you want, but make them the first you enter!)

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner answer here! I confirm it is correct based on our experiences. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

They let you book loads of things before final payment. Why should dining be any different?

Also, final payment date is different around the world. We have always booked meals well before final payment date (currently nearly two months before). This is a question which only occurs to people in a few countries, primarily the US.

• Like 1

Can you please clarify what you mean by "for fee" restaurants.   I have SDP and the Platinum status.  We typically prefer to dine at Cagney's, Ocean Blue and Teppenyaki.  Although we may try Food Republic on our next cruise. Didn't realize that it's better to book certain ones first.

12 minutes ago, megreedy said:

Can you please clarify what you mean by "for fee" restaurants.   I have SDP and the Platinum status.  We typically prefer to dine at Cagney's, Ocean Blue and Teppenyaki.  Although we may try Food Republic on our next cruise. Didn't realize that it's better to book certain ones first.

I believe Tepenyaki and Moderno are the two that meet that definition.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, megreedy said:

They are ones that are charged at a flat rate, rather than per item.

As above it is Moderno and Teppanyaki (or whatever it’s called on Prima/Viva).

Book these ones first to avoid being charged.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

They actually let you book dining before you've fully paid?

As others have said, they sure do! And FYI, EU final pay is 30 days and I think UK is 70 days so not allowing things to be booked until final pay wouldn't be great.

17 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Splendid! Another opportunity for me to surprise you.

Congratulations on attaining Platinum status.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Splendid! Another opportunity for me to surprise you.

Congratulations on attaining Platinum status.

But now that you told me, it won't be a surprise.

As for attaining Platinum status, with all of the NCL promotions where people could get an extra night or two for many bookings, it seems like everyone and their brother/sister is Platinum or above.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

As for attaining Platinum status, with all of the NCL promotions where people could get an extra night or two for many bookings, it seems like everyone and their brother/sister is Platinum or above.

Used to be that Platinum meant you had reached the top level (like getting an "A" in school). Now, with three levels below, and three levels above, Platinum is squarely in the middle (like getting a "C" in school). It seems to me that "seems like everyone and their brother/sister" is a fair assessment.

• Like 2