Shopping for souvenirs in the Caribbean

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

For me that would be caps & T-shirts.   I seem to always need a new supply of those.  

What do you do with the old ones?

12 hours ago, clo said:

Did you see my #20?

I've also read tons of things that say "your kids don't want your stuff, get rid of it."

I did and I've seen that advice before.  I think it is a highly individual thing, so to me it sounds presumptive.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, clo said:

What do you do with the old ones?

I guess most are destined for the Rag bin or trash bin.  

My Dad always said, "Stuff is junk you keep, and junk is stuff you throw away."

??????????

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Host Kat said:

??????????

I love that!!!!!! And some of our "stuff" might one day become "junk" that we get rid of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2024 at 11:52 AM, Host Kat said:

??????????

But, I might need it someday.  Hahah

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2024 at 9:29 PM, ldubs said:

For me that would be caps & T-shirts.   I seem to always need a new supply of those.  

I have 70 tee shirts that I bought on cruises and 28 tee shirts from land vacations .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have 70 tee shirts that I bought on cruises and 28 tee shirts from land vacations .

And your family is going to have to trash that stuff so that it doesn't get sent to China to be destroyed,

2 hours ago, clo said:

And your family is going to have to trash that stuff so that it doesn't get sent to China to be destroyed,

I live in an appartement community for seniors. We residents say the only way you leave here is moving in with one of your kids, into an assisted living or nursing home, or in a hearse going to the funeral home.

So often when we have lost a resident in one of those ways, their kids fill our dumpsters to the brim with all their parent's "stuff" & "junk" including furniture, kitchenware, etc. It is so sad, but it seems so many of today's kids do not want to deal with their parent's belongings. It also seems no one is at least trying to recycle before it all gets dumped into the dumpsters.

35 minutes ago, Host Kat said:

I live in an appartement community for seniors. We residents say the only way you leave here is moving in with one of your kids, into an assisted living or nursing home, or in a hearse going to the funeral home.

So often when we have lost a resident in one of those ways, their kids fill our dumpsters to the brim with all their parent's "stuff" & "junk" including furniture, kitchenware, etc. It is so sad, but it seems so many of today's kids do not want to deal with their parent's belongings. It also seems no one is at least trying to recycle before it all gets dumped into the dumpsters.

As an aside, we're working towards moving into a senior living place this year! (Hopefully in Flagstaff AZ) Our daughter is a major environmentalist and will deal with our "stuff" and "junk" accordingly...when we go to our "great reward." But we're trying already to make her job not so hard. 

1 hour ago, Host Kat said:

My parents died in 1979 and 1981.I still have many of their possessions:phoniograph records,hundreds of pictures,clothes,etc.My children will keep many of the possessions of my wife and I.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, clo said:

100 tee shirts? You must have a REALLY large family.

I have about 10 tee shirts (only worn as undershirts or sleepwear) and 10 grandchildren - but no link between the two categories. When badly worn the tees are demoted to cleaning cloths and finally go into the recycle bin.  

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have about 10 tee shirts (only worn as undershirts or sleepwear) and 10 grandchildren - but no link between the two categories. When badly worn the tees are demoted to cleaning cloths and finally go into the recycle bin.  

I think we're related 🙂 Bob is wearing a tee right now that he got from our builder when we did a massive remodel/addition to our house over 15 years ago. He would NEVER leave the property in it.

18 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

That' awesome!  I go through T-shirts like crazy.  I always have a few prized ones that I try to preserve, but even they eventually get sentenced to the bin.   I think I have shared with you before my current favorite is my #24 Clippers World B Free T shirt.  In fact, I only wear it when we are on a cruise.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, clo said:

100 tee shirts? You must have a REALLY large family.

After my BIL passed, bless his soul, he probably had over 100 caps he had collected over years of travel.  Family was happy to happy to have them (we do have a huge family).  

14 hours ago, clo said:

As an aside, we're working towards moving into a senior living place this year! (Hopefully in Flagstaff AZ) Our daughter is a major environmentalist and will deal with our "stuff" and "junk" accordingly...when we go to our "great reward." But we're trying already to make her job not so hard. 

Problem I had is, unless they are in good shape and can be donated to the second hand places, they can't be recycled.  At least not in my area.  I got slapped on the wrist for mistakenly putting some old clothes in the recycle bin.  Guy says they have to go in the garbage can for the landfill.  

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My parents died in 1979 and 1981.I still have many of their possessions:phoniograph records,hundreds of pictures,clothes,etc.My children will keep many of the possessions of my wife and I.

Now that you mention it, we have things that belonged to the parents of Mrs Ldubs or me.  Some keepsakes and some in everyday use.   

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Problem I had is, unless they are in good shape and can be donated to the second hand places, they can't be recycled.  At least not in my area.  I got slapped on the wrist for mistakenly putting some old clothes in the recycle bin.  Guy says they have to go in the garbage can for the landfill.  

Ah, you live in SFBA. We have similar rules here in SEA. We even have a yard waste/food bin. It's actually against the law to put food in the garbage!

42 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Now that you mention it, we have things that belonged to the parents of Mrs Ldubs or me.  Some keepsakes and some in everyday use.   

We have photos that we recently took out of albums to save space. And some kitchen things of Mother's that I still use. And a very few, under five, knick knacks.

1 minute ago, clo said:

Ah, you live in SFBA. We have similar rules here in SEA. We even have a yard waste/food bin. It's actually against the law to put food in the garbage!

Yup, same thing implemented earlier this year.  Food waste now goes in the yard bin.  They gave us this little bucket like thing with a lid.  Idea is to collect it in the kitchen then dump it in with the leaves and other yard stuff.  

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yup, same thing implemented earlier this year.  Food waste now goes in the yard bin.  They gave us this little bucket like thing with a lid.  Idea is to collect it in the kitchen then dump it in with the leaves and other yard stuff.  

Yep, we have the same but had to buy it ourselves. We also have compostable plastic bags to put in it. I actually like the whole process a lot. I'm a bit of a tree hugger having lived out here almost 50 years.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Yep, we have the same but had to buy it ourselves. We also have compostable plastic bags to put in it. I actually like the whole process a lot. I'm a bit of a tree hugger having lived out here almost 50 years.

I'm far from a tree hugger, but have no issue this change.  Except for the money grab part of it.  In our area a 19+% increase to our waste services fees were approved to "support" this new requirement.  

• Like 1