Cruising the Mexican Riviera...beach day?

terri-eddie

My husband and I will be cruising in March. What would be the best port to find a beach? I prefer one that is sandy, not rocky, and doesn't have that six or ten inch trench under the water a few feet in from the beach [I have bad balance and that gets me every time!] We'll have stops in Cabo San Lucas, La Paz, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta. Thank you in advance!

If you have not been to these ports before, I'd make Cabo the beach day.  There are too many things to see on a first visit to the other three ports to give those up for a beach day.  Cabo has the least to do, and the beach is near and convenient!

Enjoy!

• Like 1

All of these ports are new to us...we've cruised many times, but always on the other coast. 

We're not big beach-goers, but I want just one day. Do you have a favorite beach in the Cabo area?

4 hours ago, terri-eddie said:

Do you have a favorite beach in the Cabo area?

I second @Mike45LC's Cabo suggestion and would recommend Medano Beach as it is close to the cruise tender port.  Even though it starts on the opposite side of the marina, it is still walkable.  The end closest to the marina is pretty quiet and as you move to the east you'll find the beachfront bars and restaurants.  Have fun!

15 hours ago, SelectSys said:

I second @Mike45LC's Cabo suggestion and would recommend Medano Beach as it is close to the cruise tender port.  Even though it starts on the opposite side of the marina, it is still walkable.  The end closest to the marina is pretty quiet and as you move to the east you'll find the beachfront bars and restaurants.  Have fun!

Thank you for the recommendation! Do you know about the water entry issue I mentioned...in the Carribbean, a lot of the beaches have a sort of trench underwater a few feet out from the beach, that is difficult for me to step over. 

4 minutes ago, terri-eddie said:

Thank you for the recommendation! Do you know about the water entry issue I mentioned...in the Carribbean, a lot of the beaches have a sort of trench underwater a few feet out from the beach, that is difficult for me to step over. 

The part of the beach nearest to the marina doesn't have any sort of trench as far as I remember.  The slope of the beach is kind of steep but there aren't really any waves to deal with.  Many families use this part of the beach for swimming.

• Like 1

Just an FYI: The sand is very course in Cabo. Definitely not white and powdery soft. Don't really know about a trench just past the waterline but know that the water does get very deep VERY FAST as you walk in. Most beaches in Cabo are non-swimmable due to constant (and strong) rip currents. Medano Beach is the primary exception (Chelano and Santa Maria are also generally good but further away). And Chelano & Santa Maria don't have much in the way of public services. I've included a link to a map to the main activity area of Medano Beach. In that area are multiple beach bars/restaurants that include "The Sand Bar", "The Office at the Beach", "Mango Deck", etc. As long as you are eating/drinking a little, their chairs/loungers are free to use. Figure about 1.5 miles to walk it.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/sRUYJUMZSveHXCBQ9

A closer/smaller beach (again no services) is Playa Publica (primarily a locals beach). It was where the old tuna cannery was located at.

Personally - if I wanted some beach time on that cruise, I would probably consider Stone Island in Mazatlan. I've never been there, but it is just a quick ferry ride from the cruise ship area. I'm guessing you could explore the downtown historic area (Old Mazatlan) a little and then spend some time at Stone Island.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/b5kTQ6xyLHavuFVbA

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, SDPadreFan said:

"The Sand Bar", "The Office at the Beach", "Mango Deck", etc. As long as you are eating/drinking a little, their chairs/loungers are free to use

My only issue with beach in front of these places is that the level of vendor activity can be quite overwhelming.  I will no longer sit on the beach here and only up in the restaurant/bar spaces off the beach.  

With the info on your map, my preferred place for the Medano Beach is actually called  "Playa El Farito."  I never knew it had a distinct name.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SelectSys said:

My only issue with beach in front of these places is that the level of vendor activity can be quite overwhelming.  I will no longer sit on the beach here and only up in the restaurant/bar spaces off the beach.  

Completely agree - the constant vendors are a hassle. They do have to stay beyond the rope lines and that helps a little. I just make sure to avoid any direct eye contact with them and they move on. It's the same way even in front of the resorts (they also have roped off areas for their guests). We will sometimes have lunch at Cilantro's (part of Pueblo Bonito Blanco - a sister resort to ours). And on the beach, we do the same thing, avoid eye contact with the vendors.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

With the info on your map, my preferred place for the Medano Beach is actually called  "Playa El Farito."  I never knew it had a distinct name.

The names change a lot as you walk further. I've been down there once after Breathless was built. But I'm not a fan, as the slope of the beach walking down is pretty steep and hard on the legs. But that would be true walking in either direction.

Cabo is touristy and the beach is okay, but not at all like the Caribbean. Vendors will leave you alone for the most part, but there are a lot of them. If they catch you even looking at the stuff they will approach, but a "no ty" is usually all it takes for them to move on. We did walk back from it to the port, but if it's a warm day I recommend taking a water taxi. 

I agree there's a lot more to see/tour in Mazatlán or Puerto Vallarta. Although we've only been once, we can't wait to go back. One of the excursions offered that we've been considering on our next cruise there is to La Caletas in PV. The beach looks so much nicer there than Cabo, but not worth missing out on PV if you aren't planning another trip on this itinerary. 

I overlooked the fact that you are also visiting La Paz.  The ship docks a long way from town, and there is a free bus from the dock to town.  Halfway between, the bus stops to let people off at a local beach.  I hope someone with experience on this beach will chime in.  I've only glimpsed it from the windows of the bus.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, carohs said:

One of the excursions offered that we've been considering on our next cruise there is to La Caletas in PV. The beach looks so much nicer there than Cabo, but not worth missing out on PV if you aren't planning another trip on this itinerary. 

If you are talking about the nighttime show (Rhythms of the Night) at Las Caletas, it is definitely worth it. It's pricey but a great show. It's one we will definitely repeat in the future. Can provide more info/tips if you wish.

Edited by SDPadreFan

Padre Fan recommended Stone Island in Mazatlan.  I enjoy Stone Island, and I visit it most of my port calls to Mazatlan, but for a first time visit to Mazatlan, there is the Cathedral/Market area and Golden Zone to visit.  And the lighthouse to climb.  I think I'd save Stone Island for a subsequent visit.

15 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I overlooked the fact that you are also visiting La Paz.  The ship docks a long way from town, and there is a free bus from the dock to town.  Halfway between, the bus stops to let people off at a local beach.  I hope someone with experience on this beach will chime in.  I've only glimpsed it from the windows of the bus.

Yes, we are on the 8-day itinerary of the Carnival Panorama, so La Paz is one of our stops. 

I second Stone Island in Mazatlan. Cabo is so touristy plus the water gets deep quick! Stone Island it’s much more gradual . Lots of good beach restaurants where you can get a lounge chair and umbrella. 

If you do go to the beach in Cabo, the walk is easy, but can get hot. A water taxi from the tender dock (Cabo is a tender port) to the beach only costs a few dollars and are available near the dock. We usually walk there, and water taxi back. On the taxi ride, they will go by the Cabo rock arch if you ask. Walking, about 2/3 the way there, there is a indoor mall. Great place for a free bathroom stop if needed. There are also bathrooms near the tender dock. Bring your camera to the beach since you will get great photos of your ship from the beach. 

• Like 1