HELP! First NCL Cruise Since Covid - Gratuity Question

On 4/27/2024 at 9:34 AM, Sailing12Away said:

If you consider someone giving you an answer you don't want to hear them being 'rude', well there's not much we can do here to help you but to point out you're wrong. For the rest of the trip, speak to the correct people to get resolution to your issues, before before you do please choose your words more carefully.

Referring to a grown woman as a "girl" can come off as condescending. Asking a question with a hidden criticism to something that person isn't even personally responsible for immediately puts them on the defensive. Making broad blanket statements about cleanliness, rudeness, etc isn't productive, helpful or going to get anything resolved. It just comes off as whiney and ungrateful.

I was on the Epic last month, and didn't notice anything dirty about it, didn't recall the food quality being inedible where buffet pizza was the best thing to eat (I don't usually step foot in the buffet ever), and don't recall staff being vindictive or rude. Did they tell me things I didn't want to hear - yes, but that doesn't make them rude. And it doesn't mean you remove the daily service charge to cheat out the people who are doing their jobs behind the scenes that you don't even know about.

If you're at a restaurant on land and the waitress bringing your food is lovely and attentive, but you don't care for the taste of the dish - you don't skip out on leaving a tip for her, right? You don't fault the server if you don't like the taste of the food, the server has nothing to do with that. By you threatening to remove the service charges you yourself are being vindictive and taking revenge on the people who rely on those service charges even though for most of them they did nothing wrong to warrant your actions.

Your interpretation of your trip experience is your own, but please do not act petty and take revenge yourself on the wrong crew members just because you got a bad steak. Next steak you get when you cut into it and see a tendon, flag someone over, show them, and get a different one then and there. You don't remove the DSC for the laundry, housekeeping, food & beverage, and everyone else that goes into making the trip happen.

I like your post except for one thing.  The fact a server is 'lovely' is irrelevant.  Now it may be that ->I<_ misunderstood the way you intended lhe word lovely, but attractiveness has nothing to do with tipping IMHO.  Thanks...

BTW if you did not mean it that way I apologize for reading more into your post than what was intended.

1 hour ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

I like your post except for one thing.  The fact a server is 'lovely' is irrelevant.  Now it may be that ->I<_ misunderstood the way you intended lhe word lovely, but attractiveness has nothing to do with tipping IMHO.  Thanks...

BTW if you did not mean it that way I apologize for reading more into your post than what was intended.

Lovely as in the experience and service they provide was lovely and enjoyable. Gets the order correct, anticipates needs for refills or clearing of plates, nearby when we're ready to flag them down for the check...

Nothing at all to do with their looks, I don't recall ever in my life using the word lovely to describe someone's appearance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Lovely as in the experience and service they provide was lovely and enjoyable. Gets the order correct, anticipates needs for refills or clearing of plates, nearby when we're ready to flag them down for the check...

Nothing at all to do with their looks, I don't recall ever in my life using the word lovely to describe someone's appearance.

I comprehend.  Sorry for misunderstanding what you were saying.  I actually should have known based on the rest of the ppints you were making.  Hope that you get to crusie soon and have a lovely time! 🙂

15 hours ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

I comprehend.  Sorry for misunderstanding what you were saying.  I actually should have known based on the rest of the ppints you were making.  Hope that you get to crusie soon and have a lovely time! 🙂

yes, "lovely" wasn't meant to refer to the servers look here.  But let's not act like attractiveness doesn't play a part in tipping.  I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong, but it is what it is.

9 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

yes, "lovely" wasn't meant to refer to the servers look here.  But let's not act like attractiveness doesn't play a part in tipping.  I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong, but it is what it is.

I've certainly been guilty of tipping an attractive server more...not proud of it, but it has happened in the past.

21 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

"... a lovely daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...." 😲

4 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

It does not to me.  I tip all of my servers (for example) in the same manner.  Male, female, tall short, thin. not so thin, all irrelevant.  I do have one favorite monthly hang out where I go to see a local bluegrass band play.  Every year in December I ask my server how many people total are working that night including everyone and I leave a $20 tip for eacn in addition to my normal tip for service.  Heck I don't even see most of them but its just my way of thanking them all for making my visits there enjoyable all year long.

Anyway I think I may have side tracked or derailed the conversation a bit.  That was not my intention.  Apologies to the OP for  steering the discussion in a different direction.  Now lets all get back to cruising and having a great time doing so! 🙂