HELP! First NCL Cruise Since Covid - Gratuity Question

Hi All!

I have used this board for years but have never contributed.  Now I really need some advice!  My family is currently on the NCL Epic on a transatlantic cruise that originated in Orlando and is ending in Rome.  Although we have done 7 or 8 NCL cruises over the years (plus more on all of the other major lines) this is our first cruise since covid.

This cruise has simply been terrible.  It is so shockingly different from any of the other cruises we have done that I find myself scratching my head trying to figure it all out.  First and foremost, the food is simply gross.  Much of it borders on inedible.  Every meal on this ship we have taken a bite of something that we either had to spit out into our napkin or simply choked the bite down and sent the dish back.  The garden cafe (the buffet) has had the same menu for each of the twelve days we have been on the ship.  I thank God for the pizza because that has been the one consistently ok thing to eat.  The specialty dining has been fine but all of the other meal options have been adequate at absolute best.  In my family's opinion, the meat has significantly declined in quality with steak that is full of tendons and very rubbery chicken.  I would like to add that this low quality meat has been served in all of their restaurants.

The other thing that has really surprised us is how rude the staff is!  Once again, something that I never thought that I would write.  The crew on cruise ships has always been shockingly polite.  In fact, I have always found that they are almost too polite as I have seen guests treat staff members poorly.  I feel like the staff is trying to get revenge on this particular trip!  The staff is shockingly rude to a point that some members are looking at guests with disdain.  For example, I went to the front desk to ask a question about the food and I simply asked the girl working "has the quality of the food gone down a bit since covid".  The only reason I asked was because we were trying to figure out if we wanted to purchase more of the "cruise next" vouchers and if the food was like this on all of the cruises we really aren't interested.  The young lady working looked so irritated and rudely replied, "ask them at the restaurants".  This and several other issues have actually had me questioning whether I should leave the "service charge" or contest it.  I have never not left the full amount.  In fact, I have always left additional money for particular employees that I felt went above and beyond. 

All in all, the food sucks.  This is the dirtiest ship we've ever been on.  The gentleman that cleans our room has left dirty dishes in our room more times than I can count.  The staff is rude.  Oh, and 3 times I've been told someone will call me back from the front desk and no one ever has.  There is so much more I could add, but in the interest of brevity, I will leave it at that. Is this what cruising post covid is like?  

Thank you all for any advice you can offer. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rlpboy said:

Hi All!

I have used this board for years but have never contributed.  Now I really need some advice!  My family is currently on the NCL Epic on a transatlantic cruise that originated in Orlando and is ending in Rome.  Although we have done 7 or 8 NCL cruises over the years (plus more on all of the other major lines) this is our first cruise since covid.

This cruise has simply been terrible.  It is so shockingly different from any of the other cruises we have done that I find myself scratching my head trying to figure it all out.  First and foremost, the food is simply gross.  Much of it borders on inedible.  Every meal on this ship we have taken a bite of something that we either had to spit out into our napkin or simply choked the bite down and sent the dish back.  The garden cafe (the buffet) has had the same menu for each of the twelve days we have been on the ship.  I thank God for the pizza because that has been the one consistently ok thing to eat.  The specialty dining has been fine but all of the other meal options have been adequate at absolute best.  In my family's opinion, the meat has significantly declined in quality with steak that is full of tendons and very rubbery chicken.  I would like to add that this low quality meat has been served in all of their restaurants.

The other thing that has really surprised us is how rude the staff is!  Once again, something that I never thought that I would write.  The crew on cruise ships has always been shockingly polite.  In fact, I have always found that they are almost too polite as I have seen guests treat staff members poorly.  I feel like the staff is trying to get revenge on this particular trip!  The staff is shockingly rude to a point that some members are looking at guests with disdain.  For example, I went to the front desk to ask a question about the food and I simply asked the girl working "has the quality of the food gone down a bit since covid".  The only reason I asked was because we were trying to figure out if we wanted to purchase more of the "cruise next" vouchers and if the food was like this on all of the cruises we really aren't interested.  The young lady working looked so irritated and rudely replied, "ask them at the restaurants".  This and several other issues have actually had me questioning whether I should leave the "service charge" or contest it.  I have never not left the full amount.  In fact, I have always left additional money for particular employees that I felt went above and beyond. 

All in all, the food sucks.  This is the dirtiest ship we've ever been on.  The gentleman that cleans our room has left dirty dishes in our room more times than I can count.  The staff is rude.  Oh, and 3 times I've been told someone will call me back from the front desk and no one ever has.  There is so much more I could add, but in the interest of brevity, I will leave it at that. Is this what cruising post covid is like?  

Talk to the General Manager and address your concerns with him.

I know staff varies from cruise to cruise, but I've not seen that type of rudeness across the board anytime I've sailed the Epic or any other ship.

• Thanks 1

Following @OrcaGirland her live trip report on the same cruise. She doesn't seem to be having the same issues. Wonder how she's managed to eat the "gross, inedible" food.

Everyone has their own perspectives and not everyone has the same experiences, even on the same cruise. But the two experiences seem to be vastly different. Sorry yours seems to suck so much.

Like they say when reading reviews...throw out the really good comments and the really bad comments...the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rlpboy said:

Hi All!

Food quality is highly subjective.  We have sailed the Epic multiple times and sailed 4-5 times post pandemic.  We have never had any issues,  The steak in Cagney's for example is excellent.  IMHO you asking 'has the food quality gone down' was pretty rude and obnoxious.  What kind of answer did you expect to get?  Someone telling you to ask in the restaurant was probab the best advice you could have gotten.  You shoudl have spoken to the food manager, but you decided to be passive aggressive with guest services instead.  If your steak was not to your liking all you needed to do was let them know and ask for a new one.  As far as the calls, check the phone in your cabin.  They do not always call while you happen to be in the room.  They will call once and leave voice mail.  Hope on your next cruise you can stop looking for reasons to complain and rather actually have a good time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rlpboy said:

Hi All!

Don’t waste your time on the front desk or complaining on CC. Go to the GM on the ship with your concerns

• Like 3

I'll echo what @schmoopie17 has said.  @OrcaGirl is also on the Epic right now and has written very favorably about the cruise.  She has contributed frequently to Cruise Critic over the years and her reviews seem to be well balanced and favorably received.  Yes, there sometimes are shortcomings on cruises, and those deficiencies do seem to be more noticeable since the restart of cruising following the COVID shutdown.  It really seems, however, that your case may be a one-off.  I hope things get better for you as the cruise continues.

• Like 3

At the guest services, there is a box to put a letter in to the GM.

Also ask for Food and Bev Directors number.

But as others have said...there are a couple other reviews on Cruise Critic right now with people on the same ship and all is good.

Instead of writing here...write a note/letter to GM while on board..he will contact you.

Good luck. Enjoy.

• Like 5

I'm amazed at how one person can have a bad experience, like the OP, and another can have a great experience on the same exact cruise, like @OrcaGirl.  OP, if you get a chance, take a look at her live review and see where the differences are.

While I know this was 6 months ago, I did a Mediterranean sailing on the Epic.  It was clean and in good shape, then.  So, not sure what happened in the interim.

But, to answer your questions....Somewhere there will be a listing of the Director of Housekeeping and the Director of Food and Beverage.  Their contact numbers might be listed in the Daily.  But, if not, Customer Service will give you their number.  Two separate depts....so one is not likely to help with the other.  Contact them both separately about your concerns in their specific depts.

Let the Housekeeping Director know where and what you saw as far is the ship being dirty.  That will allow them to address it.

Let the Food and Beverage Director know which food was inedible and where you were when dining.  They will address that particular venue(s).  I do know steak that's well done can be tough.  But, chicken that's overcooked can be tough, too.  Personally, I don't like their pizza, and you do.  So, it's a subjective topic.

Telling the Cruise Next desk you don't like the food is sort of like telling the Captain the weather's bad.  While both are true, neither and do a thing about it.

While I get in trouble for this, I'll put this as delicately as I can.  If there was a person who was rude to you, find out who they report to.  Tell that person your concerns and what exactly happened.  But, gratuities, for some unknown reason to me, seem to be more of a hot bed issue across all cruise lines.  Just a general "I don't like the food (or as you put it, "it's inedible") really won't net much as far as some sort of rectification.  Same goes for a broad and general statement like "the ship is dirty".  Tell the Director WHERE it was dirty and when you observed it.  I guarantee you they'll do their best to fix it.

Tell the Directors in the Depts you chat with that you'd like to reduce the gratuities for the specific reasons you can outline with them.

We can't help you since we're not on the ship, nor do any of us have any sway with NCL (at least I don't).

• Like 3

In my opinion, after Covid food on NCL went downhill. However, I've never found the food to be inedible.  I've also always had good food at O'Sheehan's.  Right now my favorite cruise line for food is Carnival, especially with the addition of Emil Lagasse selections on the menu every night in the main dining room.

While I never saw rude staff on NCL I did feel the staff seemed indifferent to the passengers.

• Like 3

I am currently on the Epic, 12 night TA.

I have not had a bad meal. All of the staff that I have met have been very nice. 

I have eaten at all of the venues,  except the Italian and teppanyaki restaurants. 

No problems,  except missing Gibraltar. 

• Like 3

I'm glad everyone is having a great time on this cruise!  I just read orca's post and she has eaten at a few places we haven't tried yet so we will try to his those the next couple of days.  Hopefully we have better luck moving forward.  I appreciate all of your comments.  You've all been a huge help.  Thank you!  🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yes.  Most of us keep cruising because we've lowered our standards accordingly.

If you don’t have standards you will never be disappointed. 

• Haha 8

To address the topic of yoru thread - gratuities, theer are no gratuities to pay on NCL otehr than the 20% on your FAS items.  As the FAQ clearly states, gratuities are 100% optional.

The ONLY correct answer about gratuities to is to tip anyone you want, any time you want, any amount you want and move on.  No one is going to turn down free money that you hand them!

6 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

"The man who wants nothing is invincible."  I know the movie and actor, just can't find the video clip.

ttps://clip.cafe/once-upon-a-time-in-mexico-2003/a-man-wants-nothing-invincible-cabr-n/
I wasn't sure if we could post links.  so add the "h" to the begging of this (so it says https) and enjoy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

The ONLY correct answer about gratuities to is to tip anyone you want, any time you want, any amount you want and move on.  No one is going to turn down free money that you hand them!

However, they may not end up keeping it. On our Jade cruise a few weeks ago, we had a favorite bartender, Shane in the Martini Bar. He took great care of us for 14 days and we tipped him every night. However, after thanking us, he promptly put the tips into the shared tip jar behind the bar. 

On the last night, we gave him an extra lump sum tip...again he graciously thanked us, but explained he needed to share this tip. as well. Into the tip jar it went.

Our intention was to reward him for his outstanding service, attention and personality/showmanship. But if he had to spread the wealth, so to speak...so be it. All of the bartenders in that bar were great. Maybe not up to Shane standards, but pretty great.

40 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

However, they may not end up keeping it. On our Jade cruise a few weeks ago, we had a favorite bartender, Shane in the Martini Bar. He took great care of us for 14 days and we tipped him every night. However, after thanking us, he promptly put the tips into the shared tip jar behind the bar. 

On the last night, we gave him an extra lump sum tip...again he graciously thanked us, but explained he needed to share this tip. as well. Into the tip jar it went.

Our intention was to reward him for his outstanding service, attention and personality/showmanship. But if he had to spread the wealth, so to speak...so be it. All of the bartenders in that bar were great. Maybe not up to Shane standards, but pretty great.

Sharing tips is common practice in the service industry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Once Upon a Time in Mexico.....

Haven't seen that in a long time.  I think I know what I'm doing tonite. 😉

Well…that post made no sense.  I put it in the wrong thread!  Sorry!

PS…it’s still a good movie!  🎥 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Well…that post made no sense.  I put it in the wrong thread!  Sorry!

PS…it’s still a good movie!  🎥 

no, this is the correct thread.  @ChiefMateJRK was asking it a few comments back

• Haha 3

Food is subjective. Some people will call any food that is not chicken fingers and mac&cheese bad. Last year, there was a guy screaming about how bad the pizza was to the person behind the counter because he wanted a good ole sausage pizza and all they had was bbq chicken and a primavera pizza. He claimed it to be the worst food ever.