Is it worth getting Medallion Mailed?

artvlay

13 hours ago, Kat915 said:

No. I don't have plus or Premier.

I just looked on the app and it said the medallion was complimentary. 

It is. Shipping is not. 

Seems like for the most part it's a few minutes, max, but a small percentage of experiences where it is more significant. So really it's entirely personal preference based on your risk aversion.  Not a big risk, but it's not nothing.

I always have mine mailed but I also always get at least plus so it doesn't cost me $10. I would probably pay the $10 for peace of mind if I didn't get plus, but that's just me.  I enjoy getting them a few weeks ahead time...vacation gets very real when they ship/arrive.  There's also something uniquely satisfying absolutely flying through check-in..it almost feels like you don't come to a complete stop.

I feel like the time saved is much more valuable to Princess than it is to the individual.  Even if it's only 2-3 minutes of your time, if a ship carries 3,700 passengers, the amount of man-hours saved on the check-in process starts to add up real quick.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

I feel like the time saved is much more valuable to Princess than it is to the individual.  Even if it's only 2-3 minutes of your time, if a ship carries 3,700 passengers, the amount of man-hours saved on the check-in process starts to add up real quick.

In that case, shipping should be free to everyone since it saves them time & labor at check-in, not only included with the packages.

• Like 1

if you have medallion in hand, green lane - can you get on board any quicker - even a minute or so ( how many passengers does that put you ahead of ) in order to get to the sanctuary, or to get to a specialty dining venue to secure reservations (with OBC)

1 hour ago, 555 said:

In that case, shipping should be free to everyone since it saves them time & labor at check-in, not only included with the packages.

I don’t disagree. They must have decided the time savings wasn’t worth the actual cost of paying everyone’s shipping.

1 hour ago, 555 said:

Ran a few numbers on this just for the fun of it, and I guess I can see why they don't ship it to everyone free of charge....

I'm entirely making numbers up here but even if they're wrong the premise still applies to whatever the real numbers are....

Let's say there's 1500 people on a sailing that aren't on plus/premier.  Let's say those 1500 people are on average traveling as a pair, checking in together, equating to roughly 750 groups to be checked in.  Let's say they save 3 minutes per group. That's 2,250 minutes saved, or 37.5 hours. If they perfectly adjust their staff level for this, at $20/hr, it's a $750 savings. On the flip side, if they paid for these people's medallions to be shipped they'd give up $10 per group since medallions are shipped together, or $7,500 for all 750 groups.  With those numbers, even if you adjust assumptions a little this way or that, they'd be massively out-spending their labor savings.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

Ran a few numbers on this just for the fun of it, and I guess I can see why they don't ship it to everyone free of charge....

I'm entirely making numbers up here but even if they're wrong the premise still applies to whatever the real numbers are....

Let's say there's 1500 people on a sailing that aren't on plus/premier.  Let's say those 1500 people are on average traveling as a pair, checking in together, equating to roughly 750 groups to be checked in.  Let's say they save 3 minutes per group. That's 2,250 minutes saved, or 37.5 hours. If they perfectly adjust their staff level for this, at $20/hr, it's a $750 savings. On the flip side, if they paid for these people's medallions to be shipped they'd give up $10 per group since medallions are shipped together, or $7,500 for all 750 groups.  With those numbers, even if you adjust assumptions a little this way or that, they'd be massively out-spending their labor savings.

My guess it that they can still upsell it to many people who don't have the package.  

Just now, carohs said:

If you have 4 passengers (in one cabin), but only 1&2 have Plus, does Princess charge for shipping the medallion to 3&4?

Not if all the medallions are at the same address. 

• Thanks 1

We cruise a lot ----usually every month or so. Always pick up the medallion at the port. Never had to wait......very easy and one less thing to pack.

20 hours ago, 555 said:

My guess it that they can still upsell it to many people who don't have the package.  

Of course.  It would be free for everyone if no one saw the value in paying for it.

• Haha 1