Dover port

Carol28

We were chatting with a couple from Wales last night on board our Caribbean cruise. We shared that one of our ports on a British Isles cruise in June is Dover. They said we might not be able to get into Dover because of all the immigrants coming into that port. Does anyone have more knowledge about this? What they said is that the captain might choose not to go there. And if that were so, what would be the alternative? We are sailing on the silhouette June 24, I believe is the date from Rotterdam 

Carnival has only one ship in Europe this summer, and it sails out of Dover for its Northern European itineraries. I doubt they would plan their European operations around a problematic home port.

Same situation last summer - Carnival had multiple cruises out of Dover.  I was on 3 of them, and there was never any indication of any issues related to immigrant traffic affecting port operations.   Nor was any such incident every mentioned on the Carnival CC board.   I'd say you will make your port stop in Dover unless weather or mechanical issues cause your ship to miss it. 

Have a great cruise. 

Absolute rubbish, there have not been any cases of a cruise ship not docking at Dover due to immigrants. Dover is one of the busiest ports in the World and has around 40 ferries a day to France, so 1 extra cruise ship will not make any difference.

Andy.

6 hours ago, Carol28 said:

We were chatting with a couple from Wales last night on board our Caribbean cruise. We shared that one of our ports on a British Isles cruise in June is Dover. They said we might not be able to get into Dover because of all the immigrants coming into that port. Does anyone have more knowledge about this? What they said is that the captain might choose not to go there. And if that were so, what would be the alternative? We are sailing on the silhouette June 24, I believe is the date from Rotterdam 

total rubbish - illegal crossings have no affect on the port whatsoever.

37 minutes ago, bluwes said:

Make sure you do an excursion,  Dover itself is a dump. We sailed out of there a few years ago on the Carnival Legend. Never again

Depends on your interests for any one interested in British history and especially WW11 Dover Castle is a must see. Further afield Canterbury with it's Cathedral is the number 1 attraction while the fishing town of Whitstable ( the Boss and I were born and raised there) makes a great stop for lunch - lots of choices especially fish restaurants near the harbour but our favourite is the Royal Naval Reserve Pub in the High Street - booking recommended.

Fans of the British series "Call the Midwife" can visit the set in Chatham which also has an Historic Navel Dockyard.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

We are sailing out of Dover next May and need to discover the best way to get there from London.  Will fly into LHR at least a day prior.  

If the rail strikes are over (no sign of it after well over a year) then the train.

Bus/coach from Victoria Coach Station gives you a guaranteed seat and bags at a reasonable cost. Book early for the best prices.