Icon - Ocean View Balcony Guarantee

My wife and I want to book Icon with an Ocean view balcony room. What are the odds of getting a room with an obstructed view or a room in the family neighborhood if we go with the cheaper guaranteed price? We are older and would prefer not to be in the family neighborhood. Thanks!

What Biker19 said.  If you will be unhappy with ANY cabin in the guarantee category, a guarantee is not a good choice. 

You may be able to specify (and pay) for an ocean view balcony guarantee vs a neighborhood balcony guarantee when you book your cruise.

M

• Like 1

I'd book an ocean view balcony gty.  I actually booked an o.v. balcony gty on Icon and got my cabin assignment on the 14th floor. no obstructive view, but high up.  That's fine w/ me because I got a good deal. 

You can look at the deck plans, if you are booking a 2 person Oceanview balcony they are generally only on the top floors.  The surfside neighborhood is primarily if not all 3-4 capacity cabins as is the majority of the ship.

2 hours ago, fwman said:

My wife and I want to book Icon with an Ocean view balcony room. What are the odds of getting a room with an obstructed view or a room in the family neighborhood if we go with the cheaper guaranteed price? We are older and would prefer not to be in the family neighborhood. Thanks!

We booked an ocean view balcony guarantee and were assigned a D4 cabin on deck 14 (14322) which we were happy with. Make sure you book the XB category, this is specifically for ocean view balcony (not surf side or Central Park). Looking at the deck plans, most of the ocean view balconies are located on decks 12 and 14 (categories are CB, C3, C5, D1-5). Note that on deck 14 we had an overhang and a small support beam to the one side but I wouldn’t really classify that as obstructed, however you should consider if it might make a difference for you. We also had some occasional noise from the Windjammer above us (which didn’t disturb us).  We’ve done quite a few GTY bookings and have always received a cabin in the category we booked (except one case where my daughters received an upgrade from interior GTY to an oceanview). Look at the deck plans and make sure there are no oceanview balcony cabins that you’d be unhappy with before booking a GTY. Also consider that your deposit will be non-refundable for booking a guarantee cabin. 

7 hours ago, fwman said:

My wife and I want to book Icon with an Ocean view balcony room.

Book a cabin for three (a TBD person as the third passenger which you cancel before final payment) - it is sometimes a lot cheaper than two and maybe cheaper even than a GTY booking.

I just got back from Icon and chose an ocean view guarantee (booked late and it was all they had). We were assigned an infinite ocean view balcony on deck 11 pretty close to midship. While I didn't like it as much as the traditional ocean view balcony, I felt pretty lucky to not get assigned Central Park or Surfside. All luck of the draw

On 4/22/2024 at 4:41 PM, SUgwoz said:

You can look at the deck plans, if you are booking a 2 person Oceanview balcony they are generally only on the top floors.  The surfside neighborhood is primarily if not all 3-4 capacity cabins as is the majority of the ship.

The problem is that they fill a good portion of the double occupancy guarantees with triple and quad occupancy cabins.  The ship has 80% of the cabins designated for triple / quad which is why so many doubles are forced to book guarantees.