Disembarkment

I’m only a month out from my first cruise and getting very excited!!  We disembark in Rome. I want to book a private shuttle to take us to our hotel in the center of Rome. Disembarkment is at 6:00 AM but I understand it doesn’t actually start for 2 hours. We plan to carry our own luggage off the ship. What time should I order the shuttle for? Thank you 

8 hours ago, doolfan said:

I’m only a month out from my first cruise and getting very excited!!  We disembark in Rome. I want to book a private shuttle to take us to our hotel in the center of Rome. Disembarkment is at 6:00 AM but I understand it doesn’t actually start for 2 hours. We plan to carry our own luggage off the ship. What time should I order the shuttle for? Thank you 

Disembarkation will actually start at around 6am.

It starts with haven guests, higher latitudes levels and people with MCL transfers, before others are called, but that shouldn’t take too long. If you are willing to carry your bags off yourself then you will be able to get off soon after 6.

So it depends on how keen you are to get into Rome and how much effort you are willing to put into getting off early. We usually go for somewhere between 8 and 9 to make for a fairly relaxed morning.

@OrcaGirl had a live blog on the Epic last week.  Page 5 dealt with her disembarkation in Civitavecchia and also the shuttle to the outer port.  It sounds like it started shortly after 6:30 and went quickly for self carry.  I’d suggest reading that.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, doolfan said:

Disembarkment is at 6:00 AM but I understand it doesn’t actually start for 2 hours. 

Are you talking arrival time or disembarkment time? On cruise itineraries I have only seen arrival times...never have I seen disembarkment time posted until the day before disembarking on the colored sheet they hand out. Certainly not a month in advance.

Our September Rome cruise arrives at 6:30. I'm planning on carrying our stuff off around 7:00-7:15ish.

Edited by schmoopie17

Thank you all!  It’s my very first cruise so I’m not really sure if the procedures, maybe 6AM is when we dock?  I thought I read something about disembarkment starting 2 hours later??  Are we allowed to stay in the ship longer?  Like if they did start letting us off at 6 could we just decided we’re going to get off at 9 and have a leisurely morning?  I realize they would have to end it at some point…but maybe if I just planned on disembarking at 9 and having the shuttle meet us at 9:30? Is 30 minutes enough time to get off and through customs??

(1) They will want all passengers cleared probably around 9:00 to 9:30 A.M.

(2) I would contact your shuttle company and ask their advise.  

(3) If you are staying at the NCL partnership hotel in Rome, you should be able to get a transfer from the ship to the hotel.

Do you have somewhere you need to be? If not, take your time and enjoy your last morning! You need to be out of your room by 8:00am, so why not let the system work for you. Have some breakfast and let the maniacs fight for position as they try to get off the ship and catch an 8MAM flight back to the US!

I would plan for a 9:30am shuttle. Bear in mind that whoever you use knows what disembarkation is like and will be flexible on time. I guarantee that, even though it may be your first cruise, they've done it plenty of times before!

Cruise lines often pad the time to set expectations for passengers and allow for the variable time for customs & immigration to clear the ship to begin.  Almost every cruise I have been on docked an hour before the stated time, and began disembarkation as soon as 10 minutes after the stated time and not later than a half hour after.  What was more variable was the procedure for getting through customs & immigration. I have breezed off the ship and I have stood in line over an hour. Taking your luggage with you is good and improves your time, and being ready to move the moment your category or group is called!

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

Cruise lines often pad the time to set expectations for passengers and allow for the variable time for customs & immigration to clear the ship to begin.  Almost every cruise I have been on docked an hour before the stated time, and began disembarkation as soon as 10 minutes after the stated time and not later than a half hour after.  What was more variable was the procedure for getting through customs & immigration. I have breezed off the ship and I have stood in line over an hour. Taking your luggage with you is good and improves your time, and being ready to move the moment your category or group is called!

There will almost certainly be no customs or immigration to deal with in Rome.