Credit Card Points Redemption for Onboard Credit

If you cash in points from the Norwegian Credit Card for Onboard Credit spending, how long does the process take?  Worded differently - how far in advance of my cruise do I need to work on this?  I sail Aug 21st 2024

I don’t know how long it takes, but I would never use the points for onboard credit.  You’re much better off using them to upgrade a cabin.  Or simply take a card credit.  The value for a statement credit is the same as cashing in for onboard credit and is much more flexible,

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, wealwayswander said:

I didn't know you could cash in for statement credit!    

Yup.  A penny a point.  You get 3 points for anything charged to NCL.  It’s basically a 3% discount on anything you spend with NCL.

2 hours ago, wealwayswander said:

I didn't know you could cash in for statement credit!    

i had asked some of these same questions earlier this year, start around Post #6014 Page 241 (hopefully this link will get you there). 

3 hours ago, wealwayswander said:

If you cash in points from the Norwegian Credit Card for Onboard Credit spending, how long does the process take?  Worded differently - how far in advance of my cruise do I need to work on this?  I sail Aug 21st 2024

The top thread in this forum has thousands of posts on the subject of earning and redeeming points with the NCL Master Card.  The long and the short of it is this, your rate of return is many times greater if instead of cashing in 10,000 points for $100 OBC, you hold on until you have 30,000 points and then use them to upgrade from an Inside to an Ocean View or an Ocean View to a Balcony.  Depending on the price differential between the cabin categories on your cruise, your ROI can be 30% or more.  That sure beats the 3% return on your money when you get OBC.

If you don't want to use your points for an upgrade, take a statement credit - then you will also get points for the money you spend onboard - and can also get a statement credit for those expenses.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, julig22 said:

If you don't want to use your points for an upgrade, take a statement credit - then you will also get points for the money you spend onboard - and can also get a statement credit for those expenses.

THIS - earn the 3% on the on-board spend and then also get the $100 statement credit when you cash in the points.

I'm currently building my points for a cabin upgrade though.  I THINK I'm there, for an OV to balcony upgrade..

I've got enough points for a $1,000 statement credit.  I will probably book a nicer balcony ( I don't want the upgrade option because I don't know where they might put  me) and use the credit to off set the cost.

1 hour ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I've got enough points for a $1,000 statement credit.  I will probably book a nicer balcony ( I don't want the upgrade option because I don't know where they might put  me) and use the credit to off set the cost.

No guarantees but you can always ask for the cabin you want- it's not always a case of not knowing where they might put you. For my upcoming cruise I requested a specific cabin and they worked with me to book the OV I needed in order to get the balcony I wanted. Actually saved me about $400. Others have posted similar experiences.

• Like 1