It pays to get the platinum princess insurance

Knickearth

2 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Would like to know where you got that from. It does not say that on any of the insurance paperwork I have gotten from them. Also was not an issue when we made a claim a few years ago.

1. Vacation protection insurance: You may have the option to purchase vacation protection insurance offered through the cruise or tour Supplier. If you decline any such vacation protection insurance, you will assume all risk of recovery of your costs and Chase Travel will be unable to assist you. Refunds and coverage are subject to the policies of the individual travel insurance provider.  This is in the travel disclosures for CRUISE AND TOURS SUPPLIER TERMS.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, justjan2 said:
  1. Vacation protection insurance: You may have the option to purchase vacation protection insurance offered through the cruise or tour Supplier. If you decline any such vacation protection insurance, you will assume all risk of recovery of your costs and Chase Travel will be unable to assist you. Refunds and coverage are subject to the policies of the individual travel insurance provider.  This is in the travel disclosures for CRUISE AND TOURS SUPPLIER TERMS.

Where did you find that. There is no cruise and tours supplier section in the  insurance guide to benefits.

Note the Chase Travel reference in your paragraph, not a reference to insurance coverage.

The paragraph you are quoting appears to be Chase travel and is similar to language used by most TAs that sell tours and cruises as a disclaimer to their customers that they need to buy travel insurance if offered.

Yep found the exact paragraph. It is a Chase Travel disclosure. Nothing to do with Chase Travel Insurance Coverage.  Chase Travel is basically a Travel Agent and nothing to do with the insurance coverage  Standard Travel agent disclaimer about do not expect them to help you after the sale, it is up to whatever insurance you have or do not have.

Edited by TRLD
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, justjan2 said:

With Chase Sapphire Preferred, if the cruise line offers travel insurance, then the Chase Sapphire card cannot be used for insurance.

I had never heard that so I googled it.  According to https://upgradedpoints.com/credit-cards/reviews/chase-sapphire-preferred-card/travel-insurance-faq/

Does Chase Sapphire Preferred Card Travel Insurance Cover Cruises?

This part is a bit confusing, but yes. Chase’s benefits guide for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card states explicitly that cruise lines aren’t included in the definition of a “common carrier.” However, cruise lines are included in the definition of a “travel supplier.”

Why does this matter? Many of the trip cancellation and trip interruption benefits only apply to travel with a common carrier, which doesn’t include cruise lines. However, some benefits do apply to cruises. These include stolen luggage benefits or even canceling a trip if delays mean you’ll miss at least 20% of the trip or that you’ll miss the departure of your cruise ship.

The travel accident and injury benefits also apply while you’re cruising, but it’s worth noting that returning late to your cruise ship, only to find it’s left for the next island without you, isn’t a covered expense. You’ll be on your own for the costs of catching up to your ship.

Posted (edited)

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Thank you. I called Chase for a specific question concerning pre-existing conditions ( I am being treated for lung cancer). They confirmed that as long as I have a doctor's statement, I would be covered. Thank you again. You have saved my $700.

Edited by justjan2

4 minutes ago, justjan2 said:

Thank you. I called Chase for a specific question concerning pre-existing conditions ( I am being treated for lung cancer). They confirmed that as long as I have a doctor's statement, I would be covered. Thank you again. You have saved my $700.

Glad to be of help.

Travel insurance is such a quagmire of coverages and exclusions it is nice to help someone get a bit of a win.

Good luck on your treatment.

• Thanks 1

submitted claim on Saturday 4/27

claim documents under review

call AON for claim status

4/30 - claim approved - cruise fare to be refunded

look for email in next couple of days to request payment process

direct deposit or check mailed

pre-cruise slip and fall

On 4/28/2024 at 3:06 PM, NavyVeteran said:

If you have adequate documentation from medical professionals that you are unable to sail for the medical condition, you should be covered. A slip and fall should not be considered a pre-existing condition. With Princess Vacation Protection, you should receive a refund for everything you paid Princess except for the cost of the insurance. You will not receive anything for any non-refundable expenses you paid directly to airlines, hotels, or excursion operators not through Princess.

But it is explicitly excluded by the Princess coverage if you had been drinking or taking drugs.

on a different issue - my NY friends cannot buy Princess coverage.  It isn’t allowed in NY.  Anyone know why?

On 4/26/2024 at 11:16 AM, LoveBoatLvr said:

Such an interesting perspective, although it only seems to address the issue of needing to cancel. What about medical coverage ON the ship? Genuinely asking- since the ships are registered overseas, would your regular health insurance or credit card cover that? And what if you needed to be flown home from a poAs for the ships medical coverage it has saved me a fortune.  Over the years I caught the flu 3x including this last cruise.  Each time it is considered a foreign port and my home

15 minutes ago, Knickearth said:

on a different issue - my NY friends cannot buy Princess coverage.  It isn’t allowed in NY.  Anyone know why?

From a post on the Cruise Critic Travel Insurance board (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/😞

New York does not allow Cancel for Any Reason insurance because the state regulators do not consider it to be insurance. It does not protect against a risk, only the choice of the policyholder.

I would suggest consulting a third party insurer.  We have used the Trip Insurance Store (www.tripinsurancestore.com) for years.  Steve (the owner) and his staff are very knowledgeable and will work with your friends.

Just an update.  Got email that for our trip home delay we are being reimbursed all but 30. Dollars.  Now just need to deal with the medical end reimbursement for seeing the doctor while onboard.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2024 at 8:44 AM, voljeep said:

submitted claim on Saturday 4/27

claim documents under review

call AON for claim status

4/30 - claim approved - cruise fare to be refunded

look for email in next couple of days to request payment process

direct deposit or check mailed

pre-cruise slip and fall

update - got the claim approved 'e-mail' and updated on website.

still waiting for next email to pick payment method - full cruise fare

we had already received the port fees and taxes when cancelled.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 7:35 AM, voljeep said:

update - got the claim approved 'e-mail' and updated on website.

still waiting for next email to pick payment method - full cruise fare

we had already received the port fees and taxes when cancelled.

update - got the email - select direct deposit to visa debit - credit already pending in account

should post tomorrow.  total time from claim filed to money in account - 10 days

now, just have to decide about going forward on SUN P - final due end of July...

• Like 1