How do virgin cruises differ from carnival, rcl, etc?

AandBmom

15 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

We don't really use the pool and people were complaining about beds on Princess for years and we never had an issue with them or any other line.

If you don't care about the pools, then obviously that is not a deciding factor for you. 

I have also cruised many lines and while I don't find all the beds extremely comfortable, I think the beds on VV are the most uncomfortable of any line I have sailed on (I have been on 9 different lines).  They are barely 4" thick and hard as a rock.  If that is your thing, it might not be an issue.  For myself, I will often sleep in the hammock at night, because at least I don't wake up with every part of my body in pain.  

Like I said, it is definitely worth giving VV a try.  I will sail them again.  I just won't sail them exclusively.  

27 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

If you don't care about the pools, then obviously that is not a deciding factor for you. 

I have also cruised many lines and while I don't find all the beds extremely comfortable, I think the beds on VV are the most uncomfortable of any line I have sailed on (I have been on 9 different lines).  They are barely 4" thick and hard as a rock.  If that is your thing, it might not be an issue.  For myself, I will often sleep in the hammock at night, because at least I don't wake up with every part of my body in pain.  

Like I said, it is definitely worth giving VV a try.  I will sail them again.  I just won't sail them exclusively.  

Thanks for the details. No line is perfect. We like some things on some lines for example the rooms on Celebrity and Royal are much better than the rooms on Princess. What it boils down to is the itinerary and the price. VV seems to have a unique experience compared to the 3 we sail and I would be willing to pay more for that experience. 

32 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

What? The mattresses are a fairly standard thickness, just very firm. Personally, I think they are the most comfortable beds around. Extra firm mattresses are the best for my back and I slept like a rock. Everyone has different preferences, but saying "barely 4" thick" is just inaccurate.

Hint for the beds--order a mattress topper from Amazon.  They cost about $20 and come vacuum packed so take very little space. If luggage and flying is a problem, see if your hotel will accept a delivery for you and pick it up there.  At the end of the cruise, take it home or give it to your stateroom host. (they like comfort too!)

I already have one…maybe I will check my carryon and carry on the egg crate.  Might be worth it for five nights.  However, it they would give me an extra half dozen pillows, I might survive.  EM

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2024 at 2:45 PM, Essiesmom said:

I am considering a cruise on VV and would like to know generally how people dress onboard…other than theme parties?  I’m a casual, coordinated person but I do like to dress up on occasion.  EM

Guys. Shirt and smart jeans or chinos. Rarely see anyone in a sport coat

On 4/29/2024 at 4:44 PM, AandBmom said:

This is all very helpful so far everyone. What is the crowd like? I just got off a bliss Cruise where I found everybody to be very outgoing and social but that's a very unique demographic. Are people like that on virgin?

I've been on 2 Virgin Cruises (more soon hopefully!) and for me, personally, the crowd is much less social on Virgin compared to Celebrity. I feel like Virgin attracts a lot of younger and also first time cruisers and they aren't used to mingling with strangers the way the "old school" cruise ship crowd usually does.  Also, while the free wi-fi is great - that does mean more guests are staring at phones instead of talking to each other in restaurants and lounges.  

That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's a different vibe and there is something truly peaceful about the Virgin ships... it's just so laid back without the upsells, announcements, and children running around. 

I like Virgin and Celebrity - they are both great for different reasons.  I really don't like the design of the rooms on Virgin, they feel too cheap and IKEA like to me, and they are not well designed. I love the cabin designs on Celebrity by comparison.  

The dining reservations is very annoying to me on Virgin, I much prefer Anytime Dining on Celebrity but.... the food is better on Virgin thats for sure. 

And finally, I have found service on Celebrity to be 10x more consistent - while most of the Virgin Crew are fine, I've had a few strange encounters that were borderline rude.

Of course, Virgin has lots of things I love that Celebrity doesn't have - the quality entertainment being the number one as well as quality of food and drinks (Celebrity doesn't know how to make anything with espresso!), and the laid back, quiet, and peaceful vibes. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 9:07 AM, rebeccac said:

For myself, I will often sleep in the hammock at night, because at least I don't wake up with every part of my body in pain.  

I was curious if you were a back sleeper? I'd like to try sleeping in one next time (as sometimes my snoring bothers my wife) but I'm a side sleeper and concerned I couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep 5-6 hours in one. Any suggestions?

On 6/15/2024 at 8:23 PM, steve thfc said:

I am considering a cruise on VV and would like to know generally how people dress onboard…other than theme parties?  I’m a casual, coordinated person but I do like to dress up on occasion.  EM

Any way they want.  Daytime, mostly shorts and ts, evenings, a little more "dressed up," but suits/jackets or evening  dresses are rare.  Overall, it is more casual than other lines.

On 6/16/2024 at 9:15 PM, Cloud9 Bob said:

I was curious if you were a back sleeper? I'd like to try sleeping in one next time (as sometimes my snoring bothers my wife) but I'm a side sleeper and concerned I couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep 5-6 hours in one. Any suggestions?

In a regular bed, I am a side sleeper, but on the hammock that is not possible.  You pretty much have to be mostly on your back.   The lack of any real pressure points really helps to make it comfortable.  It is certainly worth trying out.  Maybe a daytime nap first to see how it goes???

• Thanks 1