Question about getting a group portrait done on the ship

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone!

I am going on a Carnival cruise (Firenze) with my adult siblings and their children, in 3 days. This is the first time we've all been together in many years, and my sister-in-law was recently diagnosed with a terminal illness. We want to potentially book the Dreams Studio to get a group photo together. 

Question- Have you booked the studio, especially for a group family photo, and is it worth it? Is the package per room, or can we get a group photo package and split it? 

Lastly, is there digital only options? I really dont want to have to carry a canvas print off the ship, I'm just hoping to get a usb and print at a print shop on canvas papaer when I return home. 

Edited by firenzeenjoyer
ship name
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, firenzeenjoyer said:

Hello everyone!

I am going on a Carnival cruise (Firenze) with my adult siblings and their children, in 3 days. This is the first time we've all been together in many years, and my sister-in-law was recently diagnosed with a terminal illness. We want to potentially book the Dreams Studio to get a group photo together. 

Question- Have you booked the studio, especially for a group family photo, and is it worth it? Is the package per room, or can we get a group photo package and split it? 

Lastly, is there digital only options? I really dont want to have to carry a canvas print off the ship, I'm just hoping to get a usb and print at a print shop on canvas papaer when I return home. 

You really don't need to book Dream Studios for a group portrait, but they do a beautifuljob. Pixels photographers can do it. The ones in front of the staircase are best for group photos. I did a Dream session once by accident. Someone walked up to us asking if we wanted to take nice pictures, didn't disclose it was Dream. The pictures were AWESOME but it was over $1500 for everything. After several no thank yous they dropped it to $700. It was 30 digitals & 1 canvas. I gave in because it was my son's graduation cruise. But nope I wouldn't do it again

• Like 2

The dreams sessions are free, you just pay for the photo package afterwards. The packages are expensive. If it's a once in a lifetime cruise, which it sounds like it is for you, I would definitely recommend booking a sitting. You are under no obligation to buy anything afterward but obviously the whole point is to buy a package and they do sell you pretty hard.

We have done 2 Dream Studio sessions and both were amazing! Having said that, state what you are comfortable spending after the photo session. I stayed firm with what I wanted and eventually we came to a number I was comfortable with.

I love the photos I received and it was totally worth it.

They had digital options on Mardi Gras but it costs the same as a print. I would second doing different poses for the regular photographers. If you got the digital only one person would have to buy them, then have them printed when you got home (just make sure you get a release to do that).

You can book a mini Dreams session. One outfit in the Dreams studio, only takes about 30 minutes. The Dreams packages are more expensive than the regular ship pictures. However as others have said if you say No thank you enough times you can agree on a number and package.

Yes, they will provide you the digital images.

My wife is a professional photographer, so I hear this discussion on a regular basis.

Yes, the Dreams packages are more expensive, but the quality is that much better. The photos are retouched by hand and do not just have a soft filter on them. The cost is similar to what a professional would charge if you were on land. The benefits of the Dream Studio is that everyone will be together.

I recommend getting a mini session done, the investment is only 1 hour. 30 minutes for the photo shoot and 30 minutes later to review the photos. No out of pocket expense or commitment to buy.

If you don’t find something you like or the price does not work, there are plenty of other options to get a group shot.

• Like 1