Safes on pearl

Do I need a card with a magnetic strip to lock the room safe on pearl? Also, are the lights controlled with a magnetic strip card?

Posted (edited)

I have never seen a safe on any NCL ship that required anything other than a code keyed into a pad.

Not sure on the room lights.  I was on the Pearl in 2016 and don't believe I needed a card then, but I am sure there has been at least one dry dock since then.

Edited by DorothyB

Posted (edited)

if your stateroom has an energy saving mechanism to require card insertion, you will not need an NCL keycard or a card with a magnetic stripe or any special card at all. your keycard is not coded to make the electricity in your room work.

what allows the electricity to flow in your cabin is the blockage of light from that switch. any thick piece of paper will do that, provided it is long enough for you to eventually pull out of the slot. you can use a library card, or a keycard from a hotel that you forgot to return or you can use a souvenir keycard from a prior NCL voyage or a key card from any other cruise line! again, any card will do... and, for the record,  NCL keycards do not have magnetic stripes!

Edited by UKstages

3 minutes ago, superoma said:

Thanks for replies. Very helpful. We generally use a McDonald’s gift card when we need one. 

That will work with NCL systems fine. Have a great cruise. 

We were last on the Pearl in '22.  The safe uses a code that you enter to lock, then unlock when you need to access it.  The lights didn't use a card.

2 hours ago, superoma said:

Thanks for replies. Very helpful. We generally use a McDonald’s gift card when we need one. 

If you ask me (and I know you didn't)...that's a better use of a McDonald's gift card than actually going to McDonald's. 

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

If you ask me (and I know you didn't)...that's a better use of a McDonald's gift card than actually going to McDonald's. 

My thoughts as well! 😄 

Chickie nuggs all the way..... 

The safe in the closet will look similar to this (might not be exactly this one). You create your own 4 digit code to use and that will lock/unlock it. We tend to keep our passports and main wallets in there and not even bother to lock it, just keeps it in a well known spot for us in case of emergency.

image.png.31d868dcb4264451ae299beb3f78cd58.png

• Like 1