Orange and Green

I've been following a thread on this board that focuses on how HAL embraces its Dutch roots. The content has centered almost entirely on Dutch cuisine and beverages. Several other threads have addressed upgrading to Club Orange and sometimes to the Orange parties where pax are invited to wear at least one article of clothing that is orange. In my travels in the Netherlands, I've observed that orange is ubiquitously associated with Dutch patriotism, with which HAL is justly proud to align itself.

I have not, however, seen any mention made of the negative associations that some Irish folks have with the color orange. Orange has been a flash point in the sectarian clashes that plagued Ireland (both Northern Ireland and the Republic) during the "Troubles." In the so-called Glorious Revolution that overthrew the Jacobins, William of Orange and his wife were transplanted from the Netherlands to rule Great Britain jointly as William and Mary. In their name the United Kingdom established its hegemony over Ireland and lorded it over the native Irish until the 1917 Easter Uprising led to the establishment of the Republic of Ireland in the south of the island. To this day tensions flare each year on July 12 when the British victory at the Battle of the Boyne is celebrated by the "Orangemen."

I know that here in the U.S. it would be highly offensive -- downright inflammatory -- to show up at a Saint Patrick's Day event wearing orange. I suspect, on the other hand, that nobody would take notice is a passenger wore green at a HAL Orange party.

All this leads me to wonder how HAL presents itself to the Irish market. I have met Irish people on board (not nearly as frequently or in the same numbers as English, Canadian, and Australian pax) and the topic of orange versus green has never arisen. I'd love to hear from Irish folks here on this board.

• Like 1

The color orange is worn and displayed as an homage to the Dutch Royal Family…the House of Orange, Has no references to the Irish or their history.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's all we need a political discussion between orange/ green & the Irish troubles. Those are two different things.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, kirkc said:

The color orange is worn and displayed as an homage to the Dutch Royal Family…the House of Orange, Has no references to the Irish or their history.

Suggest you search for Orange and the Green on YouTube 😜

Posted (edited)

It is a color!  Geez, what have you to say about the white parties several cruise lines host,  what about black tie, then you have an entire European political parties called green.  I know it’s Sunday but 

Edited by Mary229
  • Haha 1

Ha! That's the longest winded and most erudite post attempting to start an argument or caffufle on these boards that I've ever read!! 👏👏 FYI, the Republic of Ireland flag contains green and orange although they're separated by white. Nobody in Ireland takes offence at the Netherlands' use of orange. We loved HAL and Club Orange. The Orange party is just an excuse to sell tat to cruisers and sell more drink etc. My son had a lovely orange and black soccer 'Holland' jersey! Nobody from Ireland will get upset at the colour orange or celebrations of Dutch heritage but most will roll their eyes at the annual parade of pompous bigots of the Orange order and their annual day out on 12th July! Small point but the Irish Rising was in 1916. Good Post though! 😅😅

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, anniegb said:

Suggest you search for Orange and the Green on YouTube 😜

If you are referring to the song from the Irish Rovers 1967 album, "The Unicorn," then that's the first thing I thought of as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just off the Koningsdam and noticed two people in bright, shiny green outfits the night of Orange party. Honestly reminded me of lizard people.  

• Haha 3

Having been out at Irish bars on St. Patrick's Day in the USA quite a few more times than strictly necessary, I can honestly say that I've never seen anyone bothered by the color orange.

That said, I don't frequent Irish Pubs for the easily offended. 🇮🇪☘️🍺

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, CruiseIreland said:

Ha! That's the longest winded and most erudite post attempting to start an argument or caffufle on these boards that I've ever read!! 👏👏 FYI, the Republic of Ireland flag contains green and orange although they're separated by white. Nobody in Ireland takes offence at the Netherlands' use of orange. We loved HAL and Club Orange. The Orange party is just an excuse to sell tat to cruisers and sell more drink etc. My son had a lovely orange and black soccer 'Holland' jersey! Nobody from Ireland will get upset at the colour orange or celebrations of Dutch heritage but most will roll their eyes at the annual parade of pompous bigots of the Orange order and their annual day out on 12th July! Small point but the Irish Rising was in 1916. Good Post though! 😅😅

Thanks! This is exactly the viewpoint I was hoping for. Very reassuring. And it carries a lot of weight.

It sounds like, from a marketing standpoint, HAL's claim on orange is a plus in Ireland.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

Thanks! This is exactly the viewpoint I was hoping for. Very reassuring. And it carries a lot of weight.

It sounds like, from a marketing standpoint, HAL's claim on orange is a plus in Ireland.

I think, at best, most Irish people are oblivious to HAL and most Irish cruisers leave their sensitivities at the gangway!👍

• Like 3

On 5/5/2024 at 3:49 PM, kirkc said:

Correct.

22 hours ago, Petronillus said:

There must be an Irish cruise line out there, look for green ships:

green.jpg.c53ab2300fa2244d96e7b0b52cc60071.jpg

• Haha 3

It’s a Dutch line, not Irish. They would have zero obligation to address any colors that other countries might find offensive. Frankly I find it silly that anyone would feel a line would have to accommodate something that MIGHT potentially offend the Irish. Despite them being able to know it has to do with Dutch heritage and NOTHING to do with the Irish. I feel like you are digging in hopes of some kind of argument. I may not be Irish but I have Irish heritage and will be wearing an orange dress. 🤷🏼‍♀️