Avalon’s Classic excursion in Budapest

sboh

I’m doing Avalon’s Danube Dreams cruise next September. Can anyone who has done this excursion describe it-basically what you saw, how long it lasted and about what time it got done.

CLASSIC EXCURSION 

Enjoy a Guided City Sightseeing, including the iconic Heroes’ Square.

I’m starting to look at options for my free time in the afternoon, so far thinking of taking the 45-minute tour of the Parliament building (will need to book a specific time slot) and taking in the Szechenyi thermal baths.

Also, I’m assuming an evening cruise on the Danube to see the lights wouldn’t be necessary since we’re docking overnight, right?

After an horrendous accident the Budapest lights cruises were stopped. They have now restarted so your vessel may do a there and back itself, top deck weather permitting and glass in hand with maybe a camera. It’s well worth it. Enjoy.

We skipped the included tour and went to the Szechenyi thermal baths instead - we had been in Budapest several days before the cruise. I would check with the cruise director as to the order of the tour as the Szechenyi thermal baths are about 500 meters from Hero's Sq - so you may be able to leave the tour there (if it's at the end) to save backtracking. We also overnighted (June 2022) on the ship and sailed at 6pm following evening -before the lights came on. 

Again check with the CD.

We did this cruise with Avalon recently (early April). The excursion lasted all morning, and was coach based to start with, driving round both sides of the river and pointing out points of interest. We stopped in Hero's Square for a walk around, and the guide from the bus did a talk (but obviously you could just walk round and look yourself).

Our tour ended at the Basilica, where we got out on foot and we were given some brief history about that (if you wanted to go in it's an extra cost), then had free time, but that could be because we were on a wine lovers themed cruise, and we had a wine tasting experience booked at a wine cellar 5 minutes walk away from there. Our free time only ended up being about 45 minutes.

I don't know if our tour differed to what is usually offered by Avalon due to the wine tasting. We found it really interesting though, having never been to Budapest before (and have decided we definitely want to go back to spend a long weekend there).

We were docked overnight for the first night of our cruise, and our Captain did take us on a 2 hour evening cruise showing the buildings and bridges all lit up. We were told it was because it was such beautiful weather (we were extremely lucky the week we sailed, the weather was really good, especially for early April!). It was an absolutely fantastic experience. the parliament building especially looks stunning lit up.

We did the Blue Danube Discovery starting with a Budapest pre-cruise in September. We started with a bus ride to the Castle district, a walk along the streets and a viewing of St. Matthias (stood on the corner across while the guide described the Church). No viewing of Fisherman's Bastien although if we had walked around the corner we would have been there. Then back to stand and view "scenic" country side just over where the bus dropped us off.  Not sure if that was because we were a little early and had to wait for the bus to come pick us up, but was very disappointed with that bit as I would have loved to see across the river from the Castle district. Once back on the bus, we drove along the river to see the Parliament Buildings, then across to drive around them and (as we were sitting on the right side of the bus) a drive by view of the Shoes on the Danube. Then it was off to St. Peter's Square where the guide gave us a good description of what the statues meant and then wander over to a park across from the Zoo to get a Chimney Cake and drink - cake was free, it was quite hot so we purchased the water. Then back through the town to the Marriott where we were staying, with the guide showing us sites from the various revolutions held in Budapest. 

Our cruise left at 5:30 or so, so since we knew ahead, we booked our own night cruise on the Danube and I was so glad we did....not something to miss. We also went to see the Basilica, and it was impressive. Would have loved to go back across to the Castle District, but ran out of time.

Hope that helps, I would ask about the evening cruise upon boarding, the tour boats aren't that far and it was well worth seeing.

Posted (edited)

I probably should have mentioned that I am sailing eastbound from Vilshoven to Budapest. I may skip going into the Parliament (because it requires a timed entry ticket) and just do the included morning tour and then go to the baths. That way I could still do an evening river cruise since we are docked overnight. I disembark the next morning. A quick look at Budapest but that’s okay with me for now. Thanks.

Edited by sboh

I don’t mean to hijack this but I tried to create a new post and when I copied and pasted , no text showed up. Any advice? Thanks!

We are doing the Danube Dreams with 2 nights in Prague starting in Budapest next May!  We will spend a few days in Budapest on our own prior to getting on the ship.  Would love to know more about the Szechenyi thermal baths as well as any recommendations for a night cruise to see the lights?  Any other suggestions for things we must do while in Budapest?

9 hours ago, dtenel said:

Would love to know more about the Szechenyi thermal baths

Australia08 visited the baths on her current trip, read her report and if you have questions ask her as she is posting very day on the cruise underway now.