Dress up for specialty restaurants

Hi,

My husband and I will be doing a Iceland/Norway cruise. We have two specialty dinning reservations - La Cocina and Cagney's.

Do we need to dress up for those?

I think this cruise will be more casual in dressing, cold weather, so I need a little help with this one 🙂 

Would rather fill the space in luggage with warm clothes than with dresses and additional shoes, if this is possible. 

What do you think?

• Like 1

From NCL's FAQ pages.

All Decked-out: Smart Casual

Dress smart casual in our more upscale speciality restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

1 minute ago, Mike Senior said:

For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

I wear slippers, sweats and untucked chino shirts.  100% comfortable (priority one) and compliant (priority 53).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

There are only a couple of places where shorts wouldn’t be fine (Le Bistro, Ocean Blue and the aft dining room on some ships).

There is no specific dress code in either La Cucina or Cagneys on any ship.

This is from a recent freestyle daily.

IMG_0724.jpeg

Edited by KeithJenner

Restaurants on NCL are either "Cruise Casual" or "Smart Casual", never "Formal". The ship's dailies will tell you which restaurants are "Smart Casual".

Cruise Casual: the Freedom of Freestyle Cruising

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required.

Please Note: We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

All Decked-out: Smart Casual

Dress smart casual in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear shorts in all our restaurants.

Just to expand on the last post, whilst the restaurants that are designated as Smart Casual does change from ship to ship, I have never seen it applied to anything other than the Aft dining room, Le Bistro and Ocean Blue (or equivalent).

On many ships some of those venues don’t have the stricter dress code (although Le Bistro seems to be fairly consistent), but I’ve never seen additional ones included.

People will likely comment about being allowed in (or seeing others allowed) to Le Bistro with shorts, for example. The application of these rules is fairly inconsistent, but that doesn’t mean the rules aren’t there.

Here is the placard from Pr1ma. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b2a4cf9dc48a8a10eba58630c2691f45.jpeg

Pr1ma doesn't have a La Cucina, but I have most definitely dined in La Cucina on Joy and Getaway with shorts and a t-shirt on multiple occasions. I do not dine at Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, Palomar, or any other restaurant that requires pants/collared shirt.