Food

z111

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

So people are not confused….

nearly all the items on the Restaurant menu are offered at World Cafe.  WC has a wonderful salad area.  We enjoy many of the salads including the Salad nicoise you mention.  So you don’t have to go to the Restaurant to find great salads.  😀. And yes, we always augment salads with something (like a piece of salmon!).  You can also make your own salad.

Plus WC has the best views on the ship!  Especially if the weather is great and you eat outside!

And doesn't WC have more "two tops" available versus the larger tables in the restaurant?  Looking forward to Venus in January...first time on Viking ocean ship.  Though we adored our river cruising last year.  🙂 

11 minutes ago, island lady said:

And doesn't WC have more "two tops" available versus the larger tables in the restaurant?  Looking forward to Venus in January...first time on Viking ocean ship.  Though we adored our river cruising last year.  🙂 

We had no issue getting seated for 2 or dining with new friends in The Restaurant.

WC, we almost always ended up at larger tables, but that was part of the fun was chatting with folks.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, z111 said:

We had no issue getting seated for 2 or dining with new friends in The Restaurant.

WC, we almost always ended up at larger tables, but that was part of the fun was chatting with folks.

Thanks!  We enjoy our socializing over other venues...but dinner at night....that is "our time". 

Very happy to hear we can enjoy a two top in the restaurant. 🙂 

We don't tend to linger over dinner, and never order dessert or after dinner coffee.  Would feel like we are being impolite if we were eating with others and left them early.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  We enjoy our socializing over other venues...but dinner at night....that is "our time". 

Very happy to hear we can enjoy a two top in the restaurant. 🙂 

We don't tend to linger over dinner, and never order dessert or after dinner coffee.  Would feel like we are being impolite if we were eating with others and left them early.  

We have never had issues getting a 2 top, but we are generally always in the Restaurant right at 6pm when they open.  The Restaurant tends to fill up a bit later, but I think that you are mostly ok.

WC does have a lot of 2 tops, but the window seats are more 4's and 6's and we will take an empty 4 top and we are alone for our meal.  The WC does not fill as quickly for dinner as the Restaurant - IMO and experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We have never had issues getting a 2 top, but we are generally always in the Restaurant right at 6pm when they open.  The Restaurant tends to fill up a bit later, but I think that you are mostly ok.

WC does have a lot of 2 tops, but the window seats are more 4's and 6's and we will take an empty 4 top and we are alone for our meal.  The WC does not fill as quickly for dinner as the Restaurant - IMO and experience.

Thanks again!  🙂  Yes, we are early diners as well, and will be like you....going early when they open and asking for a "two top".   Would like to try the specialty restaurants as well, including the Chef's Table.  Looking forward to it!

On 5/31/2024 at 10:52 AM, island lady said:

We ate at a two-top every night on our ocean cruise, always in The Restaurant. We went around 7 pm.

Also always ate at a two-top for breakfast and lunch in the WC, either aft near the bar, or outside. I think outside may be four-tops but we always ate alone. Mamsen’s also has two-tops. And the Pool Grill. The only place I think I had to wait for a table was in Wintergarden for afternoon tea.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, May B said:

We ate at a two-top every night on our ocean cruise, always in The Restaurant. We went around 7 pm.

Also always ate at a two-top for breakfast and lunch in the WC, either aft near the bar, or outside. I think outside may be four-tops but we always ate alone. Mamsen’s also has two-tops. And the Pool Grill. The only place I think I had to wait for a table was in Wintergarden for afternoon tea.

Thanks...looking forward to it.  🙂 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks again!  🙂  Yes, we are early diners as well, and will be like you....going early when they open and asking for a "two top".   Would like to try the specialty restaurants as well, including the Chef's Table.  Looking forward to it!

If you are presenting as 2 at the host stand, you don't even have to ask, as they will just automatically seat you at a 2 top.  

However, if you are going in at 6pm, you should ask for a window 2 top, because there is one side that has a bank of 2 tops - I believe on the Port side - that are like "inside cabins" and not as prime in their location in our opinion.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

If you are presenting as 2 at the host stand, you don't even have to ask, as they will just automatically seat you at a 2 top.  

However, if you are going in at 6pm, you should ask for a window 2 top, because there is one side that has a bank of 2 tops - I believe on the Port side - that are like "inside cabins" and not as prime in their location in our opinion.

Thanks!  Sounds wonderful....now just need to push the time up to be on board!  😉 

• Like 1

I am trying to decide on a Great Lakes cruise and am looking at Viking Expedition ships. This would be our first Viking cruise, have mostly cruised Celebrity. From my research, I read that you need to make reservations in the Restaurant and Manfredi's and that in the lower cabin categories you wait longer for your opportunity, and then only get one reservation in each restaurant. My husband does not like to eat at the buffet because he has some cognitive difficulty and much prefers sit down table service. Some posters seem to say that they eat in the Restaurant every night, and just show up "when it opens." Are you talking about the sit down (table service) restaurants or the World Cafe (buffet)? Thank you for your sharing your experiences.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Shami said:

I am trying to decide on a Great Lakes cruise and am looking at Viking Expedition ships. This would be our first Viking cruise, have mostly cruised Celebrity. From my research, I read that you need to make reservations in the Restaurant and Manfredi's and that in the lower cabin categories you wait longer for your opportunity, and then only get one reservation in each restaurant. My husband does not like to eat at the buffet because he has some cognitive difficulty and much prefers sit down table service. Some posters seem to say that they eat in the Restaurant every night, and just show up "when it opens." Are you talking about the sit down (table service) restaurants or the World Cafe (buffet)? Thank you for your sharing your experiences.

The two Viking expedition ships are quite different in their approach to dining than the larger Viking Ocean ships.

On the Ocean ships, there are 2 specialty eateries - Manfredi's and Chef's Table. Both require reservations. On Ocean, the Restaurant (table service main dining room) or the World Cafe (buffet) do not take reservations - just show up. Most of the comments you see on CC regarding restaurant reservations will be associated with Viking Ocean and the 2 specialties.

On the expedition ships, there is only one specialty eatery - Manfredi's. However, on an expedition ship, Manfredi's and the Restaurant are both quite small, and both require reservations. The primary dining area on the expedition ships is intended to be the World Cafe (buffet), which has a number of upgrades in food availability compared to the Ocean ships.

I'll need to leave it to someone who has spent time on the expedition ships to weigh in on whether you can easily dine every night in the Restaurant, but hope this clarification assists a bit. 🍺🥌

Edited by CurlerRob
Correction
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was frustrated not to be able to eat at The Restaurant each night. I ordinarily do not care for a buffet for dinner. After I tried the World Cafe, I ended up enjoying it very much!

I do think the Viking Expedition ships are wonderful. If you do (Shami) decide to try them, I think you will find it will work for you either of the following two ways.

#1-try the World Cafe and see if you spot a server you already saw at lunch. Ask that server if he might help you serve your husband. There might be a printed menu of what’s available. Husband could tell you what appeals to him, and while you are getting your dinner, would a server help you get hub’s dinner. It might actually work very easily by sitting down, ordering your drinks first, and then proceeding.

#2-make your Restaurant reservation for the first night. When you get there, or on your way out, explain that your husband will be so much more comfortable if he can dine at The Restaurant each evening. Ask if you can come at opening time and wait for a table to become available. It might work better if you are willing to share, although that would not be my own personal preference.

And make your Manfredi reservation for early in the cruise as well. If you both like it, ask on the way out for any available future reservations.

I do think you are aware of how it works, and I also think it is very likely to find a way for it to be comfortable for your husband.

Edited by May B

45 minutes ago, Shami said:

Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses.

I’ll just add that the expedition ships’ food is by far the best I’ve had on any Viking ship. The World Cafe was so great we cancelled our restaurant reservations. Every night there is a seafood section, sushi bar, grill with aged steak meat case and lobster, bakery, fresh pasta, carving station, and tremendous deserts. Most everyone eats there so restaurant reservations should not be an issue. 
IMG_4720.thumb.jpeg.56cd9402ef8a9b3a5562ba4f014d5c43.jpeg

IMG_4719.thumb.jpeg.d4e7f462d4ca0e4053f1e46411a44e4e.jpeg

IMG_4759.thumb.jpeg.11ab3f421b64a603e0786d002114fa39.jpeg

IMG_4730.thumb.jpeg.5b9e78b366f046e4062a3576068f009f.jpeg

IMG_4728.thumb.jpeg.dd108c450d5943e83ccc00096a3818d2.jpeg

IMG_5306.thumb.jpeg.89d980a566148ec1d4c5f3244f846a38.jpeg

IMG_4610.thumb.jpeg.56ccb1bfcc4e9d95090b56a82945e85d.jpeg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Shami said:

I would email tellus@vikingcruises.com and tell them of your husbands situation and how you would like to secure a restaurant booking at a consistent time daily.  You never know, they may work with you on this.  We have always found Viking to be very accommodating.  

• Like 1

We had the same four top table for just the two of us on our recent transatlantic cruise every night.  It was nice to have the extra space.  I don't want to hear everyone's adventures from other passengers.  We always get a table for two.  Going on vacation to meet other people doesn't appeal to me.

• Like 3

I'll add my observations:

As has been stated, the SOP when there are allergies or sensitivities is for the catering department to track you down each day and provide menus which you can review to understand which best meets your needs - and track you down they will!

At Chef's Table there is a vegetarian option, but not a range of vegetarian options - and not options that you can customize.

We found several aspects of food and service lacking on our last Viking Ocean cruise, and once we had brought it to the attention of the GM we were overwhelmed by the resulting attention. A full court press of Service Managers and Chef's to hear our feedback and promise better moving forward. In the World Cafe we were told to speak directly to anyone in a Chef's coat if we had a special request or concern. We had a vegetarian Indian meal scheduled and prepared just for us, and there was a "secret tub" of Rum & Raisin ice cream made for me and kept in the storage freezer at the Gelato station.

While that ensured that service was excellent, and food was well prepared, it didn't change the fundamentally cautious nature of Viking offerings. Most things were well made, but few were exciting - unlike our recent experience on Virgin Voyages where we had multiple dishes, in multiple venues, that were exceptional.

The food on my one Viking cruise was the one disappointment. I expected better most was not terrible (although a few items were) but just below expectations for a premium line. My husbands low salt was confirmed that they had it but was ignored. Most of the rest of the cruise was great. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, anaky1229 said:

The food on my one Viking cruise was the one disappointment. I expected better most was not terrible (although a few items were) but just below expectations for a premium line. My husbands low salt was confirmed that they had it but was ignored. Most of the rest of the cruise was great. 

Agreed. The food is decent, but not amazing for the tier Viking prices itself at.  There would have to be a substantial revision to their recipes across the company to make improvements.

We disembarked from the Neptune last week and the food was very good to excellent in most instances. We ate most dinners at Manfredis or Chefs' Table with a few in The Restaurant and enjoyed all of them.Breakfast and lunch was usually at the World Cafe although we also had some meals at Mamsens and The Pool Grill.I didn't think they were quite as good but still enjoyable.All in all I would rate the food on this cruise as a step above the food on our ocean cruises in 2022 and 2023.

• Like 1

We were very disappointed with the food on Viking Jupiter on our circumvention of South America. Lovely ships, and although we are not foodies, we do consider good food an important part of cruising. We just finished a 2 week cruise on new Crystal and the food was excellent.

• Like 1