Port of Baltimore Opens to Cruises 5/25/24

Interesting. Now that the Key Bridge no longer sets a height cap, will Baltimore be eligible to upgrade from Vision class to something newer than the mid 1990's?

1 hour ago, Zmanjz said:

Interesting. Now that the Key Bridge no longer sets a height cap, will Baltimore be eligible to upgrade from Vision class to something newer than the mid 1990's?

Only if they completely rebuild access roads to achieve significantly higher clearance.

I looked briefly at the Royal page here on CC. Is Vision dropping off passengers in Norfolk and sailing crew only to Baltimore? 

15 hours ago, markeb said:

I looked briefly at the Royal page here on CC. Is Vision dropping off passengers in Norfolk and sailing crew only to Baltimore? 

No passengers aboard at the moment. Vision has been in drydock at Freeport. She is on her way to Baltimore for her cruise beginning on Saturday.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zmanjz said:

There is another bridge between the port and the ocean, so there is still a height limit. Personally, I'm glad. Vision class is perfect.

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Vision class is perfect.

I mean if you're a fan of  ships older than my law students, then #YouDoYou.

Unfortunately, while i derride your prefrence, your other point is devastatingly valid.

The rt 50 bay bridge clearance is 186 feet, which does confirm that baltimore is boned in terms of getting any modern ships. 

Voyager class starts at 206 feet. Which means everything after voyager class is pretty much out (quantum class, oasis class, you name it)

That being said, The "meh" radiance class's 173 foot height (airdraft) does theoretically come close unless they added height with equipment after the original designs. But that's just trading a mid 1990s ship for a late 1990's ship. 

Guess the drive to Bayonne will continue to be a thing.

4 hours ago, Zmanjz said:

The rt 50 bay bridge clearance is 186 feet, which does confirm that baltimore is boned in terms of getting any modern ships. 

Unless, of course, Silversea, Regent, Viking, Seaborne, or the like (which offer 2020 and later builds) decide to tap the upscale mid-Atlantic market.

On 5/16/2024 at 7:52 PM, mskaufman said:

Carnival is also reporting that they are going back to Baltimore in late May.

They are finishing a current Cruise and docking in Baltimore on the 26th.  It sailed out of Norfolk to start the Cruise.  That would be a pain if you drove to the Port, but so it goes.

On 5/21/2024 at 3:31 PM, markeb said:

It has been in Drydock in Freeport since b4 the bridge incident.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 10:49 AM, Zmanjz said:

Unfortunately, while i derride your prefrence, your other point is devastatingly valid.

Voyager class starts at 206 feet. Which means everything after voyager class is pretty much out (quantum class, oasis class, you name it)

That being said, The "meh" radiance class's 173 foot height (airdraft) does theoretically come close unless they added height with equipment after the original designs. But that's just trading a mid 1990s ship for a late 1990's ship. 

Well, we all know about “Opinions” don’t we.  

11 minutes ago, dennbr9 said:

They are finishing a current Cruise and docking in Baltimore on the 26th.  It sailed out of Norfolk to start the Cruise.  That would be a pain if you drove to the Port, but so it goes.

So what's Carnival doing? It would be a PVSA violation to move passengers from Norfolk to Baltimore unless they went to somewhere in Central America that qualified as a distant port. Which would kind of screw over your passengers. Maybe both sets if people were planning on a flight to Norfolk since they didn't give much advance notice. Or are they moving an empty ship?

10 minutes ago, dennbr9 said:

It has been in Drydock in Freeport since b4 the bridge incident.

I'd forgotten that. But I recall it now.

9 hours ago, markeb said:

So what's Carnival doing? It would be a PVSA violation to move passengers from Norfolk to Baltimore unless they went to somewhere in Central America that qualified as a distant port. Which would kind of screw over your passengers. Maybe both sets if people were planning on a flight to Norfolk since they didn't give much advance notice. Or are they moving an empty ship?

I'd forgotten that. But I recall it now.

Carnival Ship sailed from Norfolk on a regular 7 day or whatever Cruise, disembarking passengers in Baltimore and providing free buses.  Do not know all the details, just saw this in a news article.

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Vision is on her way to the dock at Baltimore.

Cruise Ship Tracker shows it at the Dock in Baltimore this morning(5/24)

On 5/22/2024 at 10:49 AM, Zmanjz said:

Deride is a rather harsh word to use for other people’s opinions, but maybe not so much when spelled wrong🤔🤪

• Like 1