Carrying drinks onboard (I know it says it is not allowed)

wgeddings

10 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

We break rules all the time. Please don't tell me you've never walked on the pool deck without flip flops on.

I am a rule abider to the point it makes all of my friends and loved ones crazy. I remember the first time I went to Toronto and stood on a street corner with about two dozen other people who all patiently waited for the light to change to cross the street. I thought to myself "these are my people!"

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I am a rule abider to the point it makes all of my friends and loved ones crazy. I remember the first time I went to Toronto and stood on a street corner with about two dozen other people who all patiently waited for the light to change to cross the street. I thought to myself "these are my people!"

I understand that ..but people say they follow every rule. They don't mean that. They mean they follow the rules that suit them on the whole. 

In the nicest way, you don't/won't follow EVERY rule. Most rules? Yep, not every rule.

I also follow rules, but I pick certain rules to not follow. Nothing major, not to hurt anyone. I'm not sure I believe anyone who would say they follow every rule.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

I understand that ..but people say they follow every rule. They don't mean that. They mean they follow the rules that suit them on the whole. 

In the nicest way, you don't/won't follow EVERY rule. Most rules? Yep, not every rule.

I also follow rules, but I pick certain rules to not follow. Nothing major, not to hurt anyone. I'm not sure I believe anyone who would say they follow every rule.

I follow rules when it comes to the welfare of people and companies..bringing drinks on board affects sales on the ship..govern yourself accordingly. 

Not sure what flip flops has to do with anything..

Edited by PTC DAWG

9 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I follow rules when it comes to the welfare of people and companies..bringing drinks on board affects sales on the ship..govern yourself accordingly. 

🤣 You mean, you follow rules that suit you to follow and that you're happy to follow.

13 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Their rules are pretty clear... 

The problem is - some of say "we will bring a bottle of wine with us" and some people say oh that's shocking, you should follow the rules.

Then you show them the rules and they say ahhh but that doesn't apply to me, ahhh but that's different.

Stones and glass houses...

Screenshot_2024-06-05-17-10-53-543_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

I will admit, I’m much more of a rule follower than not..I also think karma is real.  

is there a Rule about wearing flip flops by the pool?  I have missed that one if true.   🙂

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

I will admit, I’m much more of a rule follower than not..I also think karma is real.  

is there a Rule about wearing flip flops by the pool?  I have missed that one if true.   🙂

I agree with you - and I'm the same. I follow just about every rule, would always be polite and would always try to help others. I'm happy to bring my own drink - within reason - to try and save a bit of money. 

I also don't wear flip flops by the pool often. 

Sometimes we know rules too and decide not to follow them - if everyone knew the flip flops rules it would still be seen as a bit daft so most of us would still not follow it all the time.

I'd recommend wearing flip flops by the pool for straight-up safety, if no other reason. My wife just about passed out walking barefoot across the deck of the bamboo pool after exiting the hot tub. It had been baking in the sun so long that you could have fried an egg on it.

Some people bring their own drinks, usually soda, because the ship does not have their favorite flavor.  Coke, not Pepsi, diet this or that.  Perfectly understandable.  I just drink iced tea.  EM

2 minutes ago, MonsterJoe said:

I'd recommend wearing flip flops by the pool for straight-up safety, if no other reason. My wife just about passed out walking barefoot across the deck of the bamboo pool after exiting the hot tub. It had been baking in the sun so long that you could have fried an egg on it.

Yep, definitely some decks are lethal for it! Not had it on MSC before but had it on RCL and it was a shocker

All I'm saying is - it is very unfair that some people say "oh it's shocking not following the rules" to the rules that they don't break, whilst they break other rules.

As long as it's within reason and not having an impact on others I'm quite happy for others to do it. What "within reason" means is different for anyone I guess

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

All I'm saying is - it is very unfair that some people say "oh it's shocking not following the rules" to the rules that they don't break, whilst they break other rules.

As long as it's within reason and not having an impact on others I'm quite happy for others to do it. What "within reason" means is different for anyone I guess

I don't really care either.  It's not something I would do but have at it. 

I do get mildly annoyed when people try to break the rules, then get indignant when they are called on it.

Wow - I didn't mean to ruffle feathers.   And while I choose to follow rules, I have at times, and probably will in the future, break some rule.  I never said I don't break rules, I said I choose to follow them.  

I think more I was taken aback by the "I know the rules say - but"  attitude and basically asking for validation from others to intentionally and knowingly break rules.  But hey, whatever floats one's boat.  People make decisions and have to live with the consequences of those choices.

But -  where do we set the line or the limit?   Since it's okay for the OP (and according to the thread - others) to break the rule to bring sodas on board then I guess it's okay for someone to light up a cigarette in the MDR.  It's a rule, but if they choose to break it, that's just their choice and their right, right?

Once again, it's not really a OP thing or anyone else who chimed in saying they saw someone else do it, or they were going to do it - it's just an overall view of people in general today.   Is it something new - probably not.

But... back to the original progamming!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Sharon_and_TC said:

Wow - I didn't mean to ruffle feathers.   And while I choose to follow rules, I have at times, and probably will in the future, break some rule.  I never said I don't break rules, I said I choose to follow them.  

I think more I was taken aback by the "I know the rules say - but"  attitude and basically asking for validation from others to intentionally and knowingly break rules.  But hey, whatever floats one's boat.  People make decisions and have to live with the consequences of those choices.

But -  where do we set the line or the limit?   Since it's okay for the OP (and according to the thread - others) to break the rule to bring sodas on board then I guess it's okay for someone to light up a cigarette in the MDR.  It's a rule, but if they choose to break it, that's just their choice and their right, right?

Once again, it's not really a OP thing or anyone else who chimed in saying they saw someone else do it, or they were going to do it - it's just an overall view of people in general today.   Is it something new - probably not.

But... back to the original progamming!

No photo description available.

Some people care about others following the rules as a matter of principal.  Others care only to the extent that it negatively impacts the experience of others (that's how I feel)...and still others just plain don't care.

I think as far as the drinks thing goes - it's not a safety issue, so it's of no impact to anyone. It has to get through security and if security lets it through, I'm assuming the company doesn't care either, so it's not negatively impacting them.

[edit to add]

and just to be clear - when security confiscated our various tequilas in Mexico - we were expecting it, not trying to sneak them through. We were happy to not have to babysit them for the rest of our cruise and had purchased them specifically to bring them home.

...and just for fun...this was our suitcase full of tequila when we landed back in Boston.  Amazingly - all the bottles were still present and intact.

Edited by MonsterJoe

2 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

Some people care about others following the rules as a matter of principal.  Others care only to the extent that it negatively impacts the experience of others (that's how I feel)...and still others just plain don't care.

I think as far as the drinks thing goes - it's not a safety issue, so it's of no impact to anyone. It has to get through security and if security lets it through, I'm assuming the company doesn't care either, so it's not negatively impacting them.

[edit to add]

and just to be clear - when security confiscated our various tequilas in Mexico - we were expecting it, not trying to sneak them through. We were happy to not have to babysit them for the rest of our cruise and had purchased them specifically to bring them home.

...and just for fun...this was our suitcase full of tequila when we landed back in Boston.  Amazingly - all the bottles were still present and intact.

I think that's a great point... 

Although on their website MSC say Flip flops should be worn in pool areas, are they really going to stop you when you don't wear them? Of course not.

Although you shouldn't light a cigarette in the dining room, will they stop you? I believe they would.

It's up to MSC to 1. Make rules and 2. Decide which ones actually matter in practice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I can report back now.  I had no problem whatsoever carrying 2 12 packs of diet soda on board (one for me and one for DW).  I had them in carry-on rollerboard.  At security, they noted the can and just asked what the cans were.  They were only interested that it was not beer.  They even joked with me about the sodas and i was very surprised.   

So, at least at Port Canaveral for my day it was no problem to bring a 12 pack of canned soda onboard.   24 cans at $4.13 per can (onboard price with mandatory tip) = $99.12.   24 cans from grocery store = $7.50.  Savings of $91,62.   Definitely worth it.  

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, wgeddings said:

Okay, I can report back now.  I had no problem whatsoever carrying 2 12 packs of diet soda on board (one for me and one for DW).  I had them in carry-on rollerboard.  At security, they noted the can and just asked what the cans were.  They were only interested that it was not beer.  They even joked with me about the sodas and i was very surprised.   

So, at least at Port Canaveral for my day it was no problem to bring a 12 pack of canned soda onboard.   24 cans at $4.13 per can (onboard price with mandatory tip) = $99.12.   24 cans from grocery store = $7.50.  Savings of $91,62.   Definitely worth it.  

wow! Great to know that, thank you!

I'll probably try 6 soda and 6 beer divided by 3 bags.

Just out of interest - any idea what would be the outcome if you put it in your "checked" luggage.

I know that if you put it in your checked luggage with Carnival, they would confiscate it.  Had that happen with sodas.  I would not recommend trying to bring beer.  Carnivals rules saw you can bring a 12 pack of canned soda per person in your carry on.   My guess is that the security guards (who work for the port I believe, not the cruise line) do not know that some lines do not allow any beverage to be brought aboard.   Rather than carry the 12 pack, I put them in a small roller bag so it is easy to take onboard.   I suggest you not try to put anything in your checked luggage but if it works, do let us know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wgeddings said:

I know that if you put it in your checked luggage with Carnival, they would confiscate it.  Had that happen with sodas.  I would not recommend trying to bring beer.  Carnivals rules saw you can bring a 12 pack of canned soda per person in your carry on.   My guess is that the security guards (who work for the port I believe, not the cruise line) do not know that some lines do not allow any beverage to be brought aboard.   Rather than carry the 12 pack, I put them in a small roller bag so it is easy to take onboard.   I suggest you not try to put anything in your checked luggage but if it works, do let us know. 

Thank you!

Will just do carry on. If they say no then my car is only 5mins away to put it back. 👍

1 hour ago, wgeddings said:

When you show the savings it's crazy!

7 hours ago, wgeddings said:

So let me be sure I understand your post.

You are stating, on this public form, the you knowingly violated MSC's Terms and Conditions thus depriving MSC of revenue they are entitled to, deprived MSC staff of gratuities they were entitled to and your happy with this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1