World Cruise Trip Protection?

RlyLvn

We are considering the Viking Sky World Cruise from LA to London in January, 120 days. 
We cruise several times a year with 36 days being our longest cruise. 

Does anyone have any tips/resources for the best option for a World Cruise. 

Viking has Trip protection but I would like to compare that with other options and overall coverage amounts. 

Health coverage is priority as well as cancellation protection. 

Any feedback is welcome. 

Thanks a lot,

Dee

6 minutes ago, RlyLvn said:

We are considering the Viking Sky World Cruise from LA to London in January, 120 days. 
We cruise several times a year with 36 days being our longest cruise. 

Does anyone have any tips/resources for the best option for a World Cruise. 

Viking has Trip protection but I would like to compare that with other options and overall coverage amounts. 

Health coverage is priority as well as cancellation protection. 

Any feedback is welcome. 

Thanks a lot,

Dee

It's difficult to find travel insurance for that long a trip. One option is annual trip insurance. 

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

It's difficult to find travel insurance for that long a trip. One option is annual trip insurance. 

Just pulled the policy limits on my annual plan and it caps trips at 90 days. Fortunately, that's about 60-70 days more than I ever would need.

Of course, other annual policies might differ.

Edited by Mike07

Just now, Mike07 said:

Just pulled the policy limits on my annual plan and it caps trips at 90 days. Fortunately, that's about 60-70 days more than I ever would need.

In that case I’m not sure what is possible other than Tripmate? When we went on a WC I believe we had to get Tripmate through Viking but not sure if this is still the case or not?

Check with Steve at the TripInsuranceStore.com.  Many cruisers on this board use him, and I was able to get a policy for our WC, and we'll be onboard for 180 days.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  It looks like Seven Corners will cover up to 120 days.

I will check with TripInsuranceStore.com as well, and look into an annual plan for comparison.

A lot will depend on when you book.  Last year we took advantage of a promo in August for the World Journey leaving in January. We spoke with Steve who was very helpful and after hearing the cost of the Viking Tripmate insurance he agreed that his two options were more costly and didn’t provide any additional coverages.  Of course YMMV. 

I’d suggest giving him a call (or email).

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Annual trip insurance doesn’t work on a world cruise.  We found that out last year when looking for insurance.  We were on the ship 2 days less than 6 months,  

However, we did get a medical policy for our world cruise last year.  It was a Berkshire Hathaway policy bought through the tripinsurancestore.com

Edited by Mich3554
  • Like 1

Thanks again for the feedback  Its my understanding from the Viking Tripmate that if you cancel or interupt for a covered reason you are reimbursed 100% cash back for cancellation or prorated cash for interuption  Cancel for any reason is 100% future cruise credit or prorated future cruise credit.  There policy is less epensive for sure but I would like higher amounts for health coverage.  What I might end up doing is getting the Viking Tripmate and then adding 120 day health only coverage in addition through another insurer.

From my research so far this gives me all the coverage for a much more reasonable price.  The health and evacuation portion without the cancellation and interuption is very reasonable. 

Any Canadians that can comment on Medical/Interruption insurance for a World Cruise?  Our options are much different from those in the USA and we don't qualify for TripMate or Steve's options.

Posted (edited)

CDNPolar, I can't find the threads that contain information, but my search skills on CC seem to be limited.  When we were considering taking the World Cruise that Clay just completed, I read a variety of threads on CC that were written by Canadians and described how they insured their World Cruises.  At lease one thread included that the individuals had to use more than one insurance company to get total coverage.  You might have better luck than me searching individual boards as I believe one of the boards was written by someone who just completed, or is just completing, the Silversea World Cruise.  She lives in the same province as you so her knowledge would be specific to your province, too.

There used to be some Canadian Insurance Brokers recommended for World cruises, but I can't find that information either.  I really miss using Steve for our insurance needs, and have yet to find someone in Canada who could replace him/his knowledge/the company.

Edited by mariners
Add information

9 minutes ago, mariners said:

CDNPolar, I can't find the threads that contain information, but my search skills on CC seem to be limited.  When we were considering taking the World Cruise that Clay just completed, I read a variety of threads on CC that were written by Canadians and described how they insured their World Cruises.  At lease one thread included that the individuals had to use more than one insurance company to get total coverage.  You might have better luck than me searching individual boards as I believe one of the boards was written by someone who just completed, or is just completing, the Silversea World Cruise.  She lives in the same province as you so her knowledge would be specific to your province, too.

There used to be some Canadian Insurance Brokers recommended for World cruises, but I can't find that information either.  I really miss using Steve for our insurance needs, and have yet to find someone in Canada who could replace him/his knowledge/the company.

Thank you for this.  I tend to read all the Viking discussions and the Canadian discussions, and the Insurance discussions but have missed these.

Perhaps they are in the World Cruise forum?

I will look for these - thank you.

World cruising is not on our immediate radar, but it is not far in the future.

In the past, I chose to go to each individual cruise line such as Regent, Seabourn, etc. and searched for World Cruise Insurance.  I then looked for a poster who is/was Canadian to find out what the poster had done or planned on doing. 

I hope this link will work.  For some reason, the search function worked for me this time:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2903138-a-silver-shadow-over-the-world-december-2023-to-may-2024/page/37/?_fromLogin=1

It is on the Silversea board, (page 37, post 902 on the thread), and posted by Mysty.  She provides lots of excellent information on her thread about the World Cruise (and other threads, too).