Does the need to be quick off the mark to book dining and entertainment put you off

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Having closely looked at what my parents paid and got back in return from Saga in November the price difference is HUGE I assure you Fannyliz

It's scary what saga have created in terms of perceived value and what they get away with charging IMO

But my parents enjoyed the cruise so that's good at least

But it's what the individual wants to do with their own hard earned money that counts, surely.  

You like spending an absolute fortune on meals out which many might consider equally obscene as paying for Saga or Cunard Grills is to you.  They don't challenge your right to do that so why challenge them on their cruise choice?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Having closely looked at what my parents paid and got back in return from Saga in November the price difference is HUGE I assure you Fannyliz

It's scary what saga have created in terms of perceived value and what they get away with charging IMO

Surely though, in the light of the original question in this thread, the difference between what Saga charge and what - say- P&O charge, represents how much people are prepared to pay extra for a total care package.  Possibly I could have two cruises per year on any other line for the cost of one on Saga and, possibly, when I was younger, fitter and not widowed, I might well have done this.

On the cruise I went on in November, my first, it was obvious that most people felt they got good value for money and no-one stuck out as particularly rich !

• Like 4

In answer to the original question - what puts me off from booking P&O at present is the perception that, in order to get what you want, you've got to book the minute that bookings open, otherwise you'll miss out on getting a good time at the restaurant or entertainment. It seems like you are on a starting line and when the starting gun is fired it's a sprint to get what you want, and woe betide anyone that's not quick enough. It seems very pressurised.

I've got no problem with the concept of booking my dining prior to the cruise.  I've just booked a range of Warner hotel holidays for next year, and have booked all my dining times. The facility to do this is available as soon as the holiday is booked, and people accept that the earlier you book, you get the best choice of times and venues.  None of this waiting until two weeks before the holiday and then having to pile in to a melee to get what you want. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

In answer to the original question - what puts me off from booking P&O at present is the perception that, in order to get what you want, you've got to book the minute that bookings open, otherwise you'll miss out on getting a good time at the restaurant or entertainment. It seems like you are on a starting line and when the starting gun is fired it's a sprint to get what you want, and woe betide anyone that's not quick enough. It seems very pressurised.

I've got no problem with the concept of booking my dining prior to the cruise.  I've just booked a range of Warner hotel holidays for next year, and have booked all my dining times. The facility to do this is available as soon as the holiday is booked, and people accept that the earlier you book, you get the best choice of times and venues.  None of this waiting until two weeks before the holiday and then having to pile in to a melee to get what you want. 

Very brave of you to admit to being one of the Warner crowd. Don't tell anyone, but we have had 3 this year and another in August. I suspect you are platinum, so get 15% off your OBC...oops..bill. We tend to book Warners fairly late so Sometimes miss out on our preferred dining times. We never book P&O early as deals often get better. We were on Arvia last month and booked everything that was available 14 days before sailing. That's the game, but cancel if you change your mind . Book loads when you board, then relax...all done.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I don't think you do have to book the minute bookings open?

The only thing I've found that needs to booked under pressure of time is 710 club  which you  can't book til you board 

Other than a Norwegian  taster menu night on Iona fjords cruise in Epicurean which always sells out fast as it only operates on one night of the cruise

Maybe there's other stuff but I would hazard a guess it's possibly people creating dramas that aren't needed being honest

What things are people booking urgently when bookings open that they couldn't book with less urgency?

I would be interested to know?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Very brave of you to admit to being one of the Warner crowd. Don't tell anyone, but we have had 3 this year and another in August. I suspect you are platinum, so get 15% off your OBC...oops..bill. We tend to book Warners fairly late so Sometimes miss out on our preferred dining times. We never book P&O early as deals often get better. We were on Arvia last month and booked everything that was available 14 days before sailing. That's the game, but cancel if you change your mind . Book loads when you board, then relax...all done.

We've just been to Nidd and Thoresby, and booked 4 breaks for next year while we were there. What with the onsite booking discount and the multibooking discount, we saved a sizeable chunk of money. Warner's will price match too, so if the holiday is subsequently offered at a lower price than I paid, they will either credit my account so the money can be spent  on a future booking or reduce the price of an existing booking 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I don't think you do have to book the minute bookings open?

The only thing I've found that needs to booked under pressure of time is 710 club  which you  can't book til you board 

Other than a Norwegian  taster menu night on Iona fjords cruise in Epicurean which always sells out fast as it only operates on one night of the cruise

Maybe there's other stuff but I would hazard a guess it's possibly people creating dramas that aren't needed being honest

What things are people booking urgently when bookings open that they couldn't book with less urgency?

I would be interested to know?

Well, you don't HAVE to book the minute the bookings open, but my perception is that if you are not quick off the mark. your choice gets limited quite quickly - as @Windsurfboy explains in his original post. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Fortunately that is a perception and not factual and shouldn't just use that to not cruise on Arvia or Iona.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Fortunately that is a perception and not factual and shouldn't just use that to not cruise on Arvia or Iona.

Exactly.  This is the point I tried to make yesterday.  The perception that everything has to be booked in advance is based on outdated posts from one or two contributors on here that are, frankly, misinformation.  The more recent experience of many posters on here (and, no doubt, the thousands and thousands of passengers on Arvia and Iona who don't post on here) is that there is no need to book in advance.  Walk-ins and on the day bookings are widely available.

It is a real shame that the erroneous perceptions of one or two posters, repeated ad nauseum, have an enduring negative impact on others who might think they'll get useful info and advice from these boards.

My advice - ignore virtually all that you read on here about Iona and Arvia.  They will suit some current P&O cruisers, but not others.  And they will suit whole new generations of cruisers, but not others.  The only way to find out whether or not they will suit you as an individual is to try them.  Do not be put off from doing so by some of the disinformation you'll read on here, which represents the perceptions of one or two disgruntled passengers out of the 10000 who cruise on these ships every fortnight.

• Like 2

Speciality dining booking for my cruise open next Saturday and I intend to take care it as soon as I wake up, around 7am UK time (so not the minute things open, I'm not staying up until 1am for this!). I'll check back throughout the next hours and days and let you know how quickly things book out. This will at least be factual though of course not representative of Iona in general (other sailings could be less/more busy). 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Having first brought up Saga, let me interject something.  Yes Saga is significantly dearer than P&O.  If I add  to  the cost  of my P&O suite the cost of speciality dining  every night, my 250 mile taxi journey each way, drinks (minus OBC) using the cost of premium package although we buy as we go , plus contribution to annual insurance. Then P&O is circa £320pppn cf Saga £500pppn, Cunard Queens grill £500pppn.

So yes Saga is more expensive,  however I didn't see people on the ship who looked in shock from having spent so much.. Everyone seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves, most were Saga regulars , many, like us were looking forward to next Saga cruise. People who had found something they really enjoy and happy spending what I expect was their hard earned money on it. That's their choice. 

The same goes for Cunard although a different experience to  Saga.

Thought we'd give P&O another go after 8 years. But if we hadn't been able to book speciality dining  ahead and had ended up with physical or virtual queues* for each meal, would definitely see P&O as much more traumatic than spending  extra  few thousand on the other lines.

Like to try different lines, looking at Seabourne for 2026, did look at Ritz Carlton Yacht club , but that was scary.

* A Virtual  queue may be better than physical ones, but certainly not as relaxing as no queue or a defined time, when you can plan accordingly. That is what I expect on a holiday 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

My original post was about booking speciality restaurants. My cruise isn't till Sunday 9th, ie 12 days to go. There are hardly any times left in Epicurean.  That is not a perception its a fact

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I’ve got other reasons why I’m choosing not to cruise at the moment, so it’s not this one issue that is a barrier 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

It is a real shame that the erroneous perceptions of one or two posters, repeated ad nauseum

A bit like the perceptions of those who say nothing ever goes wrong for anyone on such and such ship and that everyone needs to adopt to their way of doing it then?  

As I'm clearly one of your erroneous posters.  My original comment #7 where I joined the conversation stated what I believe to be true, ie many of the older and more experienced cruisers book out the speciality restaurants the moment they can, not everyone but a great number.  That comment also mentions Britannia, a ship I love and sail on regularly.  Regarding her I mentioned if you need to change a reservation in a speciality restaurant it is virtually impossible as reservations are full.more or less from bookings opening or at the best on day 1 of the sailing.

That's not spreading erroneous information about Arvia or Iona, itsa general observation on booking speciality dining in advance which is what the thread was about.

As an aside and nothing to do with me, others have stated they dislike using the app or queues which is why they do it.

Personally I intensely dislike Arvia, I make no bones about it.  However boot on the other foot I booked my one and only cruise on her due to ICF's extremely enthusiastic comments after his first cruise on her. That isn't a problem to me because he clearly loves the ship experience on her but there are two views of everything and mine is different, not erroneous just different.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, MyriamS said:

Speciality dining booking for my cruise open next Saturday and I intend to take care it as soon as I wake up, around 7am UK time (so not the minute things open, I'm not staying up until 1am for this!). I'll check back throughout the next hours and days and let you know how quickly things book out. This will at least be factual though of course not representative of Iona in general (other sailings could be less/more busy). 

If it's a fjords cruise and you want the Norwegian taster menu night then I think that might be the only thing you need to book early on ish

If it's not the fjord cruise I will be amazed if you can't get what you want in terms of what you can pre-book

Maybe choice of limelight club nights is the only other thing that's under pressure?

If I had to guess. But I'm sure you will be fine getting what you need

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Having first brought up Saga, let me interject something.  Yes Saga is significantly dearer than P&O.  If I add  to  the cost  of my P&O suite the cost of speciality dining  every night, my 250 mile taxi journey each way, drinks (minus OBC) using the cost of premium package although we buy as we go , plus contribution to annual insurance. Then P&O is circa £320pppn cf Saga £500pppn, Cunard Queens grill £500pppn.

So yes Saga is more expensive,  however I didn't see people on the ship who looked in shock from having spent so much.. Everyone seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves, most were Saga regulars , many, like us were looking forward to next Saga cruise. People who had found something they really enjoy and happy spending what I expect was their hard earned money on it. That's their choice. 

The same goes for Cunard although a different experience to  Saga.

Thought we'd give P&O another go after 8 years. But if we hadn't been able to book speciality dining  ahead and had ended up with physical or virtual queues* for each meal, would definitely see P&O as much more traumatic than spending  extra  few thousand on the other lines.

Like to try different lines, looking at Seabourne for 2026, did look at Ritz Carlton Yacht club , but that was scary.

* A Virtual  queue may be better than physical ones, but certainly not as relaxing as no queue or a defined time, when you can plan accordingly. That is what I expect on a holiday 

Where we clearly differ is I would consider

"spending an extra few thousand on other ships"

more traumatic than using a virtual queue on a few nights of my cruise

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

My original post was about booking speciality restaurants. My cruise isn't till Sunday 9th, ie 12 days to go. There are hardly any times left in Epicurean.  That is not a perception its a fact

I've been able to book Epicurean in person on the ship (apart from Norwegian taster nights) let alone 12 nights before for my cruises so far?

For Arvia and Iona

I also don't even start looking at booking things til about 2 or 3 days before the cruise

What timeslots are you trying to book?

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I've been able to book Epicurean in person on the ship (apart from Norwegian taster nights) let alone 12 nights before for my cruises so far?

For Arvia and Iona

I also don't even start looking at booking things til about 2 or 3 days before the cruise

Same here.  They don't make all the slots available on the app.  

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Anything between  6.30 and 8pm has gone, many nights you can't get in till 8.30

13 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

If it's a fjords cruise and you want the Norwegian taster menu night then I think that might be the only thing you need to book early on ish

If it's not the fjord cruise I will be amazed if you can't get what you want in terms of what you can pre-book

Maybe choice of limelight club nights is the only other thing that's under pressure?

If I had to guess. But I'm sure you will be fine getting what you need

Correction: it's not this Saturday, but the one after where restaurants booking open. I'm just too excited about my cruise and impatient to get there, I guess! 🙂

It is a fjord cruise but I'm looking to book the afternoon tea in the Epicurean instead of the Norway taster menu. I'm sure the latter is great too, but it just doesn't make sense to me to pay extra for dining on a cruise where you get so much free food. 

I'm making an exception for afternoon tea in the Epicurean as it seems like great value for money (the same fancy afternoon tea in London would probably cost two or three times the price).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

That's totally different to saying there's barely any slots left 12 nights before?

Like I say it's all a bit dramatic IMO

So even on board when the cruise started there were some 6pm slots still available plus more released during the cruise at times

And when I spoke to maitre d he just said people can just book any 6pm online then let me know what dates they have booked and I can change times to later if needed for them

So if you want multi nights take the early times and go speak to maitre d

They want to help

Only thing they couldn't help me with was Norwegian Taster that I didn't even remember til on board and already had a waiting list 

9 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Same here.  They don't make all the slots available on the app.  

Do you know why they don’t make all the slots available on the app? 

I’m happy to use technology to make bookings both before and during the cruise - but if they are restricting what’s available, it adds to my perception that the booking system is ‘problematic’. I don’t particularly want to have to go to each venue to see if they can fit me in. 

14 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

So you can book 6pm and 8pm most nights or 6pm or 8.30pm on a few

Isn't this just very similar to choosing early or late sitting on MDRs without freedom dining? 

Do they even release slots between those times? 

I've never checked tbh?

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

That's totally different to saying there's barely any slots left 12 nights before?

Like I say it's all a bit dramatic IMO

So even on board when the cruise started there were some 6pm slots still available plus more released during the cruise at times

And when I spoke to maitre d he just said people can just book any 6pm online then let me know what dates they have booked and I can change times to later if needed for them

So if you want multi nights take the early times and go speak to maitre d

They want to help

Only thing they couldn't help me with was Norwegian Taster that I didn't even remember til on board and already had a waiting list 

Wouldn’t it be easier if more slots for all times were available on the app, rather than having to go to the maitre d and spending time telling him what you want ?