French Polynesia Jan/Feb

An Oceania cruise to the South Pacific has been at the top of my bucket list, but the cost has been an issue. I just found a good deal during the flash sale and have booked the 10 day cruise from Jan. 26 until Feb. 5.  I am now concerned about going during the rainy season.  I live in a cold climate and always want to travel to warm places Jan - March. Does anyone have an opinion on traveling there during this time?  Super bad idea?

This seems like such a great opportunity to try Oceania, I really hate to cancel.  Thank you!

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, hokie_fan said:

An Oceania cruise to the South Pacific has been at the top of my bucket list, but the cost has been an issue. I just found a good deal during the flash sale and have booked the 10 day cruise from Jan. 26 until Feb. 5.  I am now concerned about going during the rainy season.  I live in a cold climate and always want to travel to warm places Jan - March. Does anyone have an opinion on traveling there during this time?  Super bad idea?

This seems like such a great opportunity to try Oceania, I really hate to cancel.  Thank you!

Not sure, but you can easily Google weather and find out what the weather will be during your time cruising.

Edited by ronrick1943
spelling

3 hours ago, hokie_fan said:

Super bad idea?

This seems like such a great opportunity to try Oceania, I really hate to cancel.

No, I don't think it's a super bad idea, however weather that time of year certainly is a gamble.

There is likely to be some rain, but one year to the next varies as to whether it's a big nuisance or merely a slight irritant.

If the travel budget permits, go and get a feel for the different islands.

If you like it and need to go back, then Regatta is there again in Aug / Sept next year.

• Like 1

Was in that area in Feb (2024) on the Regent Mariner, and the weather was windy, rainy, with multiple tender ports canceled including Bora Bora & Moorea (and more). So you really can’t predict Mother Nature! 

• Like 2

We have done this cruise twice in February.  We now have it booked for September 2025.  We are hoping for better weather.

Just a suggestion. When we docked in Poquette we had almost a full day before our flight left. We decided to book a jeep trip through the center of the Island thru Viator. It turned out to be the highlight of the trip. It's a little hard on the ass, but the scenery is amazing. This is what you'd expect the South Pacific to be like.

P1021805_resize.JPG

Hi Hokie_fan!

We also booked the exact same cruise during the flash sale. The prices were too good to pass up especially as we were already intending to book the cruise but were just holding off a bit.  

I was a little nervous about the weather but it can be nice with barely any rain during the rainy season and the complete opposite during what is supposed to be the drier season.  You just never know.  So while we know that there is an increased risk of rain with a Jan.-Feb. cruise, we decided it was worth the risk for the excellent itinerary and pricing.  

I've previously visited in July and September. Our July cruise was perfect weather. The last 3 days of the September trip we experienced a total down pour pretty well nonstop for all 3 of the days and while I am fine with a bit of rain I admit that 3 days of very heavy rain was not even slightly enjoyable. My parents cruised end of Jan. - early Feb.,  years ago, and they never saw a drop of rain.  

There are a few other people on the Cruise Critic roll call for this cruise if you care to check it out.

Brooke

We have visited 3 times in Jan and Feb.  Twice the weather was wonderful but once it rained all 10 days. I would go again anytime!