Good reminder not to share your travel info on the internet

55 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

I would imagine there are tons of loopholes.

I belong to San Diego's largest credit union, they do not even offer MFA\2FA for their web banking. Doubt I would be successful in any suit against them.

You may or may not - depending largely on whether or not they are following industry standards.

...but you very well might - since people have already won cases specifically like that, precisely because the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council said in 2005:

"The agencies consider single-factor authentication, as the only control mechanism, to be inadequate for high-risk transactions involving access to customer information or the movement of funds to other parties."

see: Shames-Yeakel v. Citizens Financial Bank

On 6/2/2024 at 5:26 PM, kctwinmommy said:

While this was a Carnival cruise, it applies to everything. Airfare bookings, hotel reservations, etc... And while I feel for the woman, it's on her. She's the one who shared it and how is Carnival supposed to know. Plus, they did offer her a $10,000 credit, which she refused.

https://nypost.com/2024/05/31/us-news/familys-15k-carnival-cruise-vacation-canceled-without-their-knowledge-after-sharing-booking-number-on-facebook/

That's what SHE says. I frankly don't think she is being completely honest. Maybe less.

• Like 5

@BlerkOne oh for sure, who knows what happened. Based on what others have posted/commented, it sounds like she's making the media rounds with her story too. Getting more coverage for who knows what. However, at the end of the day, it's a reminder to use common sense and not share your personal info.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kctwinmommy said:

@BlerkOne oh for sure, who knows what happened. Based on what others have posted/commented, it sounds like she's making the media rounds with her story too. Getting more coverage for who knows what. However, at the end of the day, it's a reminder to use common sense and not share your personal info.

Every day I become more suspicious. But true. Try not to be stupid.

I am expecting copycats.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 11:57 AM, pc_load_letter said:

ETA: I talked to my wife about this who books all our trips. On our last cruise on Firenze, our traveling friends added us to their booking to ease speciality dinning reservations. I asked my wife, "do we get an email or anything notifying us of a change?". Wife said nothing is sent. IDK, seems to me that something should be sent if there is nothing to authenticate a user who can willy nilly modify your cruise.

If you mean the "Cruise Companions" section then you absolutely get an email about it asking if you want to add so-and-so as your cruise companion. Only if you accept can they be added to your booking as a cruise companion. Note: you give them your email address (or vice-versa) to be added to your/their booking. Not your booking number.

If you/your wife gave them your booking number or vice-versa, then you run the same risk as the family in this news article.

On 6/2/2024 at 2:51 PM, sgttami said:

Amazing what people share sometimes:

Posting how long they will be away from home

The airports they are leaving from

Ship names and cabin numbers

Click on the profile and there's a family photo in front of their home with the town listed

If you want to share your travel experience and photos, do so after it's over...lol

Or you can just make your social media page private and only “friend” people you actually know. It’s really simple to do. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cruising_Addict said:

Or you can just make your social media page private and only “friend” people you actually know. It’s really simple to do. 

That would defeat the "look at me!!!!" vibe that she desperately needs...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 6/4/2024 at 8:46 AM, Cruisercl said:

Really? I have never been able to do this with NCL.

Can you show me where? It is not on any NCL website reservation that I have had.

Also, in the FAQs is says they need to be done by telephone.

TIA.

It was prior to COVID, so they may have changed.

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 3:42 PM, staceyglow said:

It seems to be that it's the customer that is coming off looking bad in this situation.  She's trying to embarrass Carnival by going public, and it is backfiring.

Carnival doesn't owe this woman a thing.  She should have accepted those inside cabins they offered and consider it an expensive lesson learned.

It's not Carnival's fault that the woman was stupid. 

Edited by simplelife
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/3/2024 at 6:38 AM, aborgman said:

It only applies to 3rd parties who are your "healthcare provider". Your neighbor down the street can blab your healthcare info all they want.

You can post your own information however you wish

On 6/5/2024 at 2:49 PM, kctwinmommy said:

Getting more coverage for who knows what.

People know that if they generate enough coverage and fake outrage that companies will pay them to go away, even if the original poster is in the wrong.

That's my suspicion in this case, especially since they rejected Carnival's offer despite being in the wrong.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, notscb said:

People know that if they generate enough coverage and fake outrage that companies will pay them to go away, even if the original poster is in the wrong.

That's my suspicion in this case, especially since they rejected Carnival's offer despite being in the wrong.

Has Carnival even confirmed they made an offer? I don't think they did, so the "offer" could just be more misinformation.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't think they did, so the "offer" could just be more misinformation.

That particular detail came straight from the tiktok user. It's firsthand info, and she even went as far as to say that they denied the offer. Carnival already tried to make this story (and this person) go away, but I suspect they are going to have to pay actual cash if the story continues to gain traction, despite the customer being at fault.

1 hour ago, notscb said:

That particular detail came straight from the tiktok user. It's firsthand info, and she even went as far as to say that they denied the offer. Carnival already tried to make this story (and this person) go away, but I suspect they are going to have to pay actual cash if the story continues to gain traction, despite the customer being at fault.

And what makes you assume that the TikTok user is telling the truth?  It may be firsthand info, but I don't believe it's been confirmed.

I honestly hope for its own sake that Carnival sticks to its guns.  The public reaction seems to be in Carnival's favor.  Carnival knows what bad publicity is (remember the poop cruise?) and this isn't it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, staceyglow said:

nd what makes you assume that the TikTok user is telling the truth?

In the world of social media and public relations, it doesn't matter if it's true or not. I'm just responding to a question that was asked.

If anything, the tiktok user looks more ridiculous not taking Carnival's offer (if there truly was one), which definitely works in Carnivals favor. But still, the story has garnered enough attention that I'm sure Carnival PR is calculating how much it would take to make it go away regardless of fault.

6 minutes ago, notscb said:

In the world of social media and public relations, it doesn't matter if it's true or not. I'm just responding to a question that was asked.

If anything, the tiktok user looks more ridiculous not taking Carnival's offer (if there truly was one), which definitely works in Carnivals favor. But still, the story has garnered enough attention that I'm sure Carnival PR is calculating how much it would take to make it go away regardless of fault.

Except that every media post mentions what an idiot she was for putting herself in a position to have this happen.

If my Chevy was stolen because I left the keys in it and the motor running, and I got on TikTok saying that Chevrolet owes me because it was too easy to steal my car, do you think Chevrolet is going to give me money?  

Honestly, I think the main reasons this got so much traction is that the media is treating it as a) a cautionary tale an b) an entertaining story due to the ridiculous woman telling it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Except that every media post mentions what an idiot she was for putting herself in a position to have this happen.

and I got on TikTok saying that Chevrolet owes me

Not really. A lot of media glosses right over the part where she shared her confirmation information and goes right to how she "lost 15k" because of Carnival. This is the part of the story that they can run a headline on or sensationalize- regardless of fault.

If you got on tiktok and your video went viral, regardless of fault, Chevy *might* give you money to make you go away. I'm not saying they owe you or that they will, but corporate PR is there for a reason.

I'm not saying anything illogical, just pointing out what the original poster is likely trying to do here, especially in light of not taking any offer they claim to have already gotten.

1 hour ago, notscb said:

One lie leads to another. I don't know that Carnival tried any such thing. 

If there is any merit to the "story", Carnival might settle, but so far, truth doesn't seem to be part of the equation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

And just as hot coffee needs a warning label for a few, Carnival is attempting to reach the unreachable

Yep... because legally they have to.

It's not legally acceptable for corporations to say "Well, we told everyone but it keeps happening". If it keeps happening - you HAVE to do something to prevent it, no matter how stupid you think the customers involved might be.

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

Yep... because legally they have to.

It's not legally acceptable for corporations to say "Well, we told everyone but it keeps happening". If it keeps happening - you HAVE to do something to prevent it, no matter how stupid you think the customers involved might be.

Unlikely. I'll try to remember to see if Clorox has any covid warnings.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Unlikely. I'll try to remember to see if Clorox has any covid warnings.

Unlikely? It's literally the primary basis for numerous product liability cases, including the McDonalds/Liebeck coffee case.

...and yes, Clorox had COVID warnings:

"Bleach and other disinfectants are not suitable for consumption or injection under any circumstances. People should always read the label for proper usage instructions.

Disinfecting surfaces with bleach and other disinfecting products is one of the ways to help stop the spread of COVID-19, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Our products are safe when used properly. It’s critical that everyone understands the facts in order to keep themselves safe and healthy, which is why we continue to educate people about how to use disinfectants safely and effectively against COVID-19."

3 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Unlikely? It's literally the primary basis for numerous product liability cases, including the McDonalds/Liebeck coffee case.

...and yes, Clorox had COVID warnings:

"Bleach and other disinfectants are not suitable for consumption or injection under any circumstances. People should always read the label for proper usage instructions.

Disinfecting surfaces with bleach and other disinfecting products is one of the ways to help stop the spread of COVID-19, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Our products are safe when used properly. It’s critical that everyone understands the facts in order to keep themselves safe and healthy, which is why we continue to educate people about how to use disinfectants safely and effectively against COVID-19."

I don't think Carnival has much liability exposure, or they wouldn't sell Cheers. I have never seen a warning label on a cruise line balcony that if you climb over the rail, you might fall.

Google should come with a warning label...

here's what Google executive said," We are not a truth engine." Google does not serve as our answering bot or our artificial intelligence-filled bot.

8 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't think Carnival has much liability exposure, or they wouldn't sell Cheers. I have never seen a warning label on a cruise line balcony that if you climb over the rail, you might fall.

"First, under the general maritime law, a cruise line’s over service of alcohol to its
passengers constitutes a breach of the duty of reasonable care. See Doe v. Royal Caribbean
Cruises, Ltd., 2011 WL 6727959, at *4 (S.D. Fla. 2011) (where plaintiff was served alcohol at ship
lounge, was observed by crewmembers staggering around drunk and rebuffing advances of another passenger, and was later raped by other passenger, plaintiff stated actionable claim for negligence);Doe v. NCL (Bahamas), Ltd., 2012 WL 5512347 *6 (S.D. Fla. 2012) (“[A] cause of action for over service of alcohol [by cruise line] sounds in negligence”); Tello v. Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd., 2013 WL 1500573 (S.D. Fla. 2013) (Cruise passenger whose son fell overboard after bartenders over served him multiple drinks adequately pleaded a claim of negligence under the general maritime law)."