La Cucina “Osso Buco”

On the menu for La Cucina it lists Osso Bucco Alla Milanese which should normally be veal shank but in the description it says lamb shank.  Is this a mistake?  Does anyone know if it’s veal or lamb?  Just curious since all these new menu changes and cutbacks just happened.  If it’s lamb they should not call it Osso Buco.

• Like 1

It has been lamb since at least 2021 and when I had it it was excellent.  Osso buco really just refers to the cut so IMO the only real foul would be to not use a shank.  You can find lots of recipes out there for lamb osso buco from reputable cooks.

I would be very surprised if it's veal and would assume it's lamb. NCL has removed all veal dishes from just about every menu over the past couple of years. There are no veal dishes any longer on the Haven dinner menu (veal scallopini removed about 18 mos. ago), Cagneys, or other specialty dining menus as far as I can tell. It's disappointing.

It is definitely Lamb.  I had it in March on POA and it was very good.

And during our Escape cruise last week, they had Lamb Shank on the MDR one night.

It looked and tasted exactly like the one I had in La Cucina.  Maybe no one was ordering it for this cruise, so they added it to the MDR menu (they do have 22 versions) to use it up. 

9 minutes ago, Pablo Diablo said:

I would be very surprised if it's veal and would assume it's lamb. NCL has removed all veal dishes from just about every menu over the past couple of years. There are no veal dishes any longer on the Haven dinner menu (veal scallopini removed about 18 mos. ago), Cagneys, or other specialty dining menus as far as I can tell. It's disappointing.

Veal is quite hard to find nowadays anywhere due to the efforts by PETA to ban it outright. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies.  I have not seen Osso Buco served as lamb in any Italian restaurant I’ve been in and I eat in a lot of Italian restaurants. I would try it though as I do like lamb but the flavor would be stronger than veal.

I never tried the osso buco on NCL because I don’t care for lamb.However we cruised last month on the MSC seashore in the yacht  club and Veal Osso buco is on the menu each week. It was delicious.

I had the Osso Buco in La Cucina one week ago on the Breakaway. It was absolutely delicious and I would also say it was probably the best entree of the cruise. The service in La Cucina on the Breakaway was also the best service we received in any specialty dining restaurant on that cruise. Highly recommend! 

• Like 1