Front of security line in select European airports

CPT Trips

I'm not clear on this.

Is there a separate 'Clear' line at security, or is it just using Fast Track?

I'll be departing LHR 2 weeks on Friday for my Douro trip but it seems using T5 not T3 where the system is supposed to be.

As of Sunday (when I used it), Frankfurt Airport has expanded its Smartway service to include U.S. (and I think Canadian) airports--at least from some of the gates.  (We were flying Condor from the B gates--using the Ost security point.  You'd need to do a test of your flight to see if it is available.)  This is a service run by Clear but you do not have to be a Clear member to use it.  There were no lines at any of the security checkpoints at the time we went through, but it would have been very useful if there were lines.

Here's the link to Smartway:  https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en/airport-guide/check-in-and-luggage/fra-smartway.html

15 hours ago, loriva said:

As of Sunday (when I used it), Frankfurt Airport has expanded its Smartway service to include U.S. (and I think Canadian) airports--at least from some of the gates.  (We were flying Condor from the B gates--using the Ost security point.  You'd need to do a test of your flight to see if it is available.)  This is a service run by Clear but you do not have to be a Clear member to use it.  There were no lines at any of the security checkpoints at the time we went through, but it would have been very useful if there were lines.

Here's the link to Smartway:  https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en/airport-guide/check-in-and-luggage/fra-smartway.html

I just stumbled upon this.  How was your Condor experience? We are flying Condor for the first time next month after 50 years of a faithful major US carrier allegiance (golden handcuffs with little continuing appreciation). This insight about Sartway is certainly appreciated.

7 hours ago, Farang said:

I just stumbled upon this.  How was your Condor experience? We are flying Condor for the first time next month after 50 years of a faithful major US carrier allegiance (golden handcuffs with little continuing appreciation). This insight about Sartway is certainly appreciated.

The experience on Condor was fine.  Its business cabin is modeled on its former parent, Lufthansa, and the seats were comfortable.  Amenities on the flight were nice--Condor gives you one of four travel organizers (a small metal box like a pencil case, an insulated lunch bag, and two others) along with the usual toothbrush, etc.  The meal was quite good, with the appetizer course coming with three different items plus cheese (you can save for dessert) and a salad.  The crew were very personable and served quickly so we could get some sleep on the route to Germany.

The pre-flight experience is where it was more problematic.  Condor only books the lowest-fare economy on any connecting (non-Condor flights).  We had to reach out to each individual airline to upgrade and/or book seats.  Also, boarding German airlines seems like a free-for-all--no lining passengers up in groups, any order in boarding.  (Our friends on this cruise flew Lufthansa out of Munich and reported the same experience.)  They also do not start boarding nearly early enough--meaning the flights are consistently late.  (FlightAware showed both of our flights were consistently delayed by over an hour--and this proved so for both our flights.  Luckily, we had built in enough extra time at connecting airports and made all our connections.)

The price was more than a thousand less per person than Viking's offered flights and the latter only offered us routings with two stops (same as Condor) so we booked independently.  That price rose a bit once we booked seat assignments/upgrades but was still a savings.  Would  probably use Condor again, but only if we can find a one-stop routing.  Condor partners with Alaska Airlines, so if you don't have one of their frequent flyer accounts you can sign up and use it.

Please let me know if you have other questions,

2 hours ago, loriva said:

The pre-flight experience is where it was more problematic.  Condor only books the lowest-fare economy on any connecting (non-Condor flights).  We had to reach out to each individual airline to upgrade and/or book seats.  Also, boarding German airlines seems like a free-for-all--no lining passengers up in groups, any order in boarding.  (Our friends on this cruise flew Lufthansa out of Munich and reported the same experience.)  They also do not start boarding nearly early enough--meaning the flights are consistently late.  (FlightAware showed both of our flights were consistently delayed by over an hour--and this proved so for both our flights.  Luckily, we had built in enough extra time at connecting airports and made all our connections.)

Thanks for the thorough description. We actually chose Condor because it is ironically one of the few direct flights to Frankfurt from our base.  I have been watching the on-time performance of our booked flights (which only operate June through September) and they are consistently one to two hours late.  I thought it was due to really short turn-arounds.  Our chosen fare touts priority boarding, which your description appears to suggest that doesn't happen.

4 hours ago, Farang said:

Thanks for the thorough description. We actually chose Condor because it is ironically one of the few direct flights to Frankfurt from our base.  I have been watching the on-time performance of our booked flights (which only operate June through September) and they are consistently one to two hours late.  I thought it was due to really short turn-arounds.  Our chosen fare touts priority boarding, which your description appears to suggest that doesn't happen.

They did board business class first.  But only made the announcement at the last minute and then had everyone move to another area.  Easier would have been to have a designated area where passengers could line up at their leisure.