Getting enough ADHD meds for long cruises

As seniors, we love longer cruises. Lately, we've been traveling on Holland America. We enjoyed a Grand voyage last year so much that we signed up for January's Pole to Pole 133-day cruise. It is our longest cruise yet.

Massachusetts has strict controlled substance laws, which include my ADHD med. In MA, you can only get a 1-month prescription at a time. I can get a 1-month vacation override. That will cover the first 2 months, but I don't know how to cover the other 4 months. My Dr. has no problem writing the script, except it's illegal in MA, and she doesn't know how to solve the problem either. I have tried other meds, but they didn't work very well. Going without isn't an option, as I wouldn't be able to enjoy the cruise without the med - I'd drive my husband nuts too.

I can't be the only person who comes against this issue. Some seniors must run up against these laws for needed pain medication. Anybody have some solutions? We may have to cancel the cruise.

It is a problem, not just for ADHD meds, but also for many other controlled drugs (especially anything containing a narcotic).  In some States, there can be "vacation exceptions" but it does sound like your State has a 2-month limit.  So, what to do if you will be out of the country for more than 2 months?  You can certainly talk to your pharmacist and physician about options.  

You do have another issue.  Some countries, around the world, have strict limits (and even bans) on certain controlled drugs (Japan and Thailand quickly comes to mind).  In those countries, you often need to seek pre-trip approval (we have done this with Japan).  In some cases, you simply cannot bring a specific drug into certain countries, or you must see a physician in that country and obtain the drug (assuming it is even available) through a physician licensed to write scripts in that country.

Getting a script filled in another State (as suggested above) might work, but drug plans and computer data bases can make this a problem.  Many States will not always accept a script from an out-of-state physician for controlled substances.

Hank

• Like 3

I don’t know about your particular medication but for one prescription the doctors increased DH’s daily dosage from one pill to two so now when he gets his 90 day supply we get 180 pills 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Can you order them from an online pharmacy? Possibly do a refill at a port along the way? Drive to a nearby state to have the script filled?

ADHD meds are a pain, my son can only get a 30 day supply, it can’t be mailed, and he needs to see his physician every 3 months to get his prescription. That was fun when he was away at college.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

ADHD meds are a pain, my son can only get a 30 day supply, it can’t be mailed, and he needs to see his physician every 3 months to get his prescription. That was fun when he was away at college.

Wow that’s tough. Here I can get a prescription for a year and don’t even need to see the doctor, they will re write it without seeing me about it.

I get one month and can get a second for travel is needed according to the rules but my friends pharmacy gives her 3 months at a time. I go to a smaller locally owned pharmacy and she goes to a big national chain. 

• Like 1

I would immediately contact the Special Needs department for the cruise line.

This is not an uncommon problem.

Alternatively, have you checked nearby states for their rules?  Possibly you can get the additional two months at a neighboring state with more flexible regulations.

A few years ago, we had some medications filled in Canada when we lost our meds (we're NYC based).  A recommended local doctor contacted our NYC doctor and wrote a local script which was filled in Vancouver. These were non-narcotic drugs.

Here are some earlier posts on this subject: