Stromboli - best side of ship?

SunnyNy

We'll be sailing from Taormina to Naples, passing by Stromboli.  Would port or starboard give the best view (if any) of it?  I can't quite figure it out from the maps.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, SunnyNy said:

We'll be sailing from Taormina to Naples, passing by Stromboli.  Would port or starboard give the best view (if any) of it?  I can't quite figure it out from the maps.  Thanks.

Could be either side. Top deck is best. You will probably get an announcement and the ship will probably slow down so people can see it.

1 minute ago, marazul said:

Could be either side. Top deck is best. You will probably get an announcement and the ship will probably slow down so people can see it.

I was hoping we might see it from our balcony cabin, in case it's very late at night when we pass by.

24 minutes ago, SunnyNy said:

I was hoping we might see it from our balcony cabin, in case it's very late at night when we pass by.

It is not that far out of Taormina.  You should stay up anyway to see the transit through the Strait of Messina and that is best from deck so you can see both sides. Stromboli will be a while after that.  And you could get lucky if it is on your side. Most likely, it will be on the port side if it is just sailing pass it. If you are on a small ship it could even sail around it and it could then be on either side. Go up on deck. 

• Thanks 1

Apparently, the OP's cruise mentions Stromboli. So they will get close enough to see it. I have been near in total darkness while the volcano was doing nothing. I have also been near on a cruise while there were some fireworks going on.

31 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

If you're headed north (as you would going from Messina to Naples) it will be on the port side.  Late at night you won't see anything at all, you won't be close enough. 

Hmmm...it was on the starboard side for us, sailing from Trapani.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Hmmm...it was on the starboard side for us, sailing from Trapani.

You are going east and north of the Aeolian islands sailing from Trapani, so starboard. It would be straight north and east of the islands sailing from Taormina,  so port. Look at a map.

Edited by marazul

1 hour ago, marazul said:

You are going east and north of the Aeolian islands sailing from Trapani, so starboard. It would be straight north and east of the islands sailing from Taormina,  so port. Look at a map.

Our ship (Noordam) obviously sailed a ways out of the most direct course (we were headed to Rome/Civi) to see Stromboli, and the closest approach would be west of Sromboli, not east. But the OP could also sail west of Stromboli, if the Captain wished.

17 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Our ship (Noordam) obviously sailed a ways out of the most direct course (we were headed to Rome/Civi) to see Stromboli, and the closest approach would be west of Sromboli, not east. But the OP could also sail west of Stromboli, if the Captain wished.

I meant you were going east towards the peninsula and north of the islands, so you would be approaching Stromboli from its west side and your starboard side. Badly expressed, but in the same direction

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, SunnyNy said:

Would port or starboard give the best view (if any) of it?

Simples.

Position yourselves on an outside deck somewhere you could move easily from one side to the other, and also the bow.

Cannot remember where we were coming from or going to, but our night viewing was starboard forward from where we saw lots of small eruptions. Captain lingered there for around an hour as there was quite a bit of low-key activity. We could also see the headlamps and/or torches of those doing night hiking on Stromboli

Edited by edinburgher

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

Simples.

Position yourselves on an outside deck somewhere you could move easily from one side to the other, and also the bow.

Cannot remember where we were coming from or going to, but our night viewing was starboard forward from where we saw lots of small eruptions. Captain lingered there for around an hour as there was quite a bit of low-key activity. We could also see the headlamps and/or torches of those doing night hiking on Stromboli

Yes, I'm aware we can always go to a top deck and move around for views.  I was hoping someone who's done a Taormina to Naples or similar route could advise which side of Stromboli the ship would likely pass.

2 hours ago, SunnyNy said:

Yes, I'm aware we can always go to a top deck and move around for views.  I was hoping someone who's done a Taormina to Naples or similar route could advise which side of Stromboli the ship would likely pass.

It depends on the ship and the size of the ship. You can get many different responses. Look at post #5 again.

• Thanks 1

I'm aware we can always go to a top deck and move around for views.  I was hoping someone who's done a Taormina to Naples or similar route could advise which side of Stromboli the ship would likely pass.

Reading the replies above, members are trying to be helpful in saying saying that it could be either side and that being on an upper deck would be better than sitting on your balcony in case you are on the "wrong" side.

Our Captain had given an approximate arrival time either over the tannoy or in the daily programme, although I cannot remember which. Passengers began assembling on an upper open deck shortly before then although it got busier once it was realised that there was some action.  The little white moving lights puzzled everyone for a while until someone in the know said they were headlights or torches, the wearing of which were apparently mandatory for Stromboli night hiking.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

On my 2022 cruise Stromboli was on the port side when heading south to the Messina Strait and on the starboard side when heading north after passing through the Messina Strait.

Thanks, PurpleTraveller.  Based on your experience and the others' comments, I plan to book a starboard side cabin.  It's pretty close to the top deck, so we can make a quick trip up if our balcony view is not good.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your comments and advice.  I'm going to book a starboard cabin, but be prepared to go to a top deck.  I hope Stromboli is active then!

Thanks to all for your comments and advice.  I'm going to book a starboard cabin, but be prepared to go to a top deck.  I hope Stromboli is active then!

Good plan.  Have you posted on your cruise line's forum?  Others who have been on the same itinerary and ship would be able to confirm your choice.