Uniworld dress code?

Generally casual, no jeans/shorts/flip flops. I typically wear black pants and a nice top. No ties needed for men and you’ll likely see few jackets (if any).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also can depend on where you are cruising and the overall temperature.

We were on Uniworld on The Nile River and we found the dinner dress was a lot of the time whatever people wore during the day on excursion.

The only thing I did not see was sleeveless (muscle) shirts on men.  T-shirts and shorts were very common.

Depends on the itinerary, but if we are back with time, we generally always 'fancy up' just a bit for dinner regardless of what others do.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Also can depend on where you are cruising and the overall temperature.

Good point. I was thinking mostly of the European itineraries. 

• Like 1

Unless Uniworld dress code is very different to Scenic dress code, which  I doubt - on our Scenic Europe river cruise, jeans at dinner were quite common as were shorts.

It was warm weather (early September)  and  I estimate aprox 1/4 of the men were in shorts for any given dinner

Not skimpy gym type shorts of course - but regular almost knee length cargo types and similar.

Also t-shirts were commonly worn - again, nice neat ones., not gym wear type ones.

Similar observation to CDNPolar.

• Like 1

Always best to go to the source. From the Uniworld website FAQ:

What should I wear on my cruise?

For destinations in EUROPE: 
It's best to prepare for a variety of weather conditions, depending on your travel season and the regions through which you will be cruising. Layering clothing items is always your best bet, as this allows you to adjust to most temperatures, including artificially maintained temperatures, by adding or removing items throughout the day. 

Comfortable, sporty, smart-casual daywear is appropriate both onshore and onboard. Everyday slacks, khakis, walking shorts and everyday skirts/dresses are recommended. For warmer temperatures, we suggest lightweight clothing that can be layered, such as a mix of sweaters, lightweight knit shirts, slacks and walking shorts. For early spring and late fall departures, you’ll find sweatshirts, heavier cotton or wool tops and long-sleeved shirts, and corduroy or heavy khaki pants perfectly suitable. Mix and-match color schemes work best to help keep baggage light. You will participate in a significant amount of walking over uneven terrain during your time ashore. We recommend comfortable walking shoes with good ankle support. Sturdy sandals are another good option. For evenings, any resort-type wear is perfectly suitable; however, we do ask that you not wear shorts to dinner. Men may want to bring one sport jacket for dressier restaurant venues and for special events onboard such as the Captain’s Welcome and Farewell festivities. Women may wish to bring a cocktail dress or two for finer dining or entertainment experiences. Don’t forget to pack a lightweight waterproof jacket (preferably hooded) or even a heavier weight wind-breaker for colder temperatures. 

We recommend wearing comfortable, smart-casual clothing both onshore and onboard. We also suggest sturdy walking shoes, as you will do a significant amount of walking on shore excursions, often over cobblestones or uneven terrain. A sun hat, rain gear, and a coat or wrap for chilly evenings are useful items to have. While there is no formal dress code for dining ashore, concerts, special events onboard, etc., men may want to bring a sports jacket and women a cocktail dress or pantsuit. Neckties are optional. Please note that shorts are not allowed at dinner aboard the ship. 

For our EXOTICS destinations: 
These programs are very different from European river programs; attire is more casual due to the region’s warmer temperatures. During the cruise/tour portion of your program, comfortable, lightweight clothing in lighter colors is strongly recommended. We suggest clothing that can be layered, such as a mix of cotton shirts, lightweight knit shirts, sweaters, everyday khakis, slacks, skirts/dresses, walking shorts and sun hats. 

Prepare for a variety of weather conditions, depending on your travel season and the regions through which you will be cruising. Layering clothing items is always your best bet, as this allows you to adjust to most temperatures, including artificially maintained temperatures, by removing or adding items throughout the day. Mix/match color schemes work best to help keep baggage light. 

You will participate in a significant amount of walking over uneven terrain during your time ashore. We recommend comfortable walking shoes with good ankle support. Sturdy sandals are another good option. 

Don’t forget to pack a lightweight waterproof jacket (preferably hooded) or even a heavy weight windbreaker for colder temperatures, especially during early spring, fall and winter departures. 

PLEASE NOTE: To enter the temples and other holy sites, guests should ensure that their shoulders and knees are covered. 

Egypt: For evenings, we recommend casual and cool attire; however, we require footwear to be worn at all times in the dining room. Sport jackets and cocktail dresses are not needed at any time during this program. You may wish to pack at least one “smart casual” outfit for the onboard Gala Reception. 

For those on the Jordan extension, while sleeping quarters will be heated, the winter months can drop below freezing at night. Please pack accordingly for outside weather. 

India, Vietnam & Cambodia: For evenings, we recommend casual and cool attire; however, we require footwear to be worn at all times in the dining room. Sport jackets and cocktail dresses are not needed at any time during this program. 

Peru: We recommend comfortable walking shoes, quick drying and lightweight clothing, lightweight long pants and rain gear, long-sleeved tops for jungle excursions, wide-brimmed hat, extra socks, and a bathing suit.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kristelle said:

Unless Uniworld dress code is very different to Scenic dress code, which  I doubt - on our Scenic Europe river cruise, jeans at dinner were quite common as were shorts.

Remember that Scenic is Australian, and Australians generally dress quite casually. 

• Like 1

Look at the small print of a Scenic cruise and technically shorts are a no no but they do seem to be accepted as long as they are passable and no one complains. Pause here so I can be accused of being part of the fashion police. 
In the past I have got the impression that the restaurant staff take note of the general feeling and either go with the flow or not. During my first years of river cruising I observed several individuals turned away from the main restaurant due to them not adhering to the dress code but it does seem to be more relaxed now. I’ve only ever seen one guy get angsty and he was an American. Generalities do in some cases cause challenges I’ve discovered through these forums.

• Like 2

I dont recall anything i n the fine print re shorts - must have been very fine because  I read everything obsessively - but certainly reality, not paper, said otherwise - and as previously mentioned, aprox 1/4 of men on any given evening would be wearing shorts to dinner.

Would of been very strange if anyone had complained and 1/4 of men were turned away.🤪

Whether that is because Scenic majority of guests are Australian or why I do not know - but it certainly was the case.

However OP is going on Uniworld and if Uniworld is different then that is what they will need to follow.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TN_travels said:

I have never seen anyone in shorts at dinner on Uniworld, even in warm weather. On one cruise a man in shorts was told to change.

What @gnome12 said and I have also indicated.  Uniworld on the Nile I would say that most men were in shorts and t-shirts in the dining room.

I think this is a dynamic policy that is adjusted for the cruise itinerary.

This Uniworld Nile cruise was the most casual cruise I have ever been on.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kristelle said:

I dont recall anything i n the fine print re shorts - must have been very fine because  I read everything obsessively - but certainly reality, not paper, said otherwise - and as previously mentioned, aprox 1/4 of men on any given evening would be wearing shorts to dinner.

I think the point is that the OP is asking about Uniworld, not Scenic. Perhaps Scenic is just different. As far as the “norm” on Uniworld European itineraries, I have never seen people wearing shorts to dinner (even last August when it got to 105° outside on my Douro cruise) and only rarely have seen people wearing jeans to dinner. 

Edited by bubbulz
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, bubbulz said:

I think the point is that the OP is asking about Uniworld, not Scenic. Perhaps Scenic is just different. As far as the “norm” on Uniworld European itineraries, I have never seen people wearing shorts to dinner (even last August when it got to 105° outside on my Douro cruise) and only rarely have seen people wearing jeans to dinner. 

Totally agree with the above- I think people on Uniworld tend to dress for dinner as though they are going to a nice restaurant for a special occasion and dress accordingly. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bubbulz said:

I think the point is that the OP is asking about Uniworld, not Scenic. Perhaps Scenic is just different. As far as the “norm” on Uniworld European itineraries, I have never seen people wearing shorts to dinner (even last August when it got to 105° outside on my Douro cruise) and only rarely have seen people wearing jeans to dinner since 

Yes I know.

My post you quoted was in direct response to a post mentioning fine print in Scenic literature.

Yes as I already said, perhaps Scenic is different. It must be since shorts and jeans at dinner were commonplace.  And Uniworld in Europe is different to Uniworld on the Nile since CDNPolar reported most  men on that Uniworld cruise wore shorts at dinner.,

I also already said: 

5 hours ago, Kristelle said:

However OP is going on Uniworld and if Uniworld is different then that is what they will need to follow.

So feel   free to ignore my comments about my experience if they are not relevant. 

• Thanks 1

On my Uniworld Nile cruise last year, a young woman in her early 20’s was turned away from the dining room for being dressed “inappropriately”. 

I believe she was wearing a blouse that exposed her midriff. In her defense, she looked very cute and quite appropriate for a similar venue in the U.S.  But we were in a Muslim country, so standards of dinner dress may have been more strict. 

At any rate, she changed and came back down and that was the end of it.

• Like 2