Queen Elizabeth - Dinner at Golden Lion Pub

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Desert Cruisers said:

Does anyone know if dinner is still offered at the Golden Lion Pub on the Queen Elizabeth? 

They were still doing food in the Golden Lion on the Tokyo - Vancouver crossing in May & June of this year. Lunch was served from midday to 14.30, and dinner was served from 18.00 to 20.30. The times are from the daily programme for the Glacier National Park sea day on our trip. 

Edited by Saulxures
Incomplete answer.
  • Like 1

Curious why on QM2, only lunch is served at the Golden Lion, but not dinner ... ?  QM2 is the flagship of the fleet and yet it seems to have worse service in this regard, than the others?

Having experienced a ploughman’s lunch in the Golden Lion on Queen Anne I would never dream of eating dinner there if it was available. Very small portions - and while we don’t want to eat a lot at lunch time the offerings were tiny. IMG_7716.thumb.jpeg.a6ccd0836d1fe7f77e9e78fec51e2435.jpegWorse than that the quality was well under par, quite different to food available everywhere else on the ship. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TowandaUK said:

Very small portions ...

Somewhat unfortunately, this is true. I had the fish and chips on the Queen Mary, and it only took me about 5 minutes to finish the whole lot. A 30 minute wait for a 5 minute feed isn't that great a deal! 

1 minute ago, Saulxures said:

Somewhat unfortunately, this is true. I had the fish and chips on the Queen Mary, and it only took me about 5 minutes to finish the whole lot. A 30 minute wait for a 5 minute feed isn't that great a deal! 

I ordered both a PIE and a FISH & CHIPS and they came at the same time, and it was perfect size/portion after having eaten both.  I agree that if I just got fish & chips, it would be too small, but the 2 portions made it a great meal, as was able to try 2 things and feel satisfied.

6 minutes ago, Kordy said:

I ordered both a PIE and a FISH & CHIPS and they came at the same time, and it was perfect size/portion after having eaten both.

That sounds like a very sensible approach!

The curry at the Golden Lion on QE was underwhelming and the rice was not good at all. F&C pretty good though. Decent size. The curry on QM2 was excellent. 

Yes, I concur. I had the curry on QM2 last week in the Golden Lion and was very pleased.  I had both the pie & the curry and both were excellent.  Highly Recommended.

20 hours ago, TowandaUK said:

Having experienced a ploughman’s lunch in the Golden Lion on Queen Anne I would never dream of eating dinner there if it was available. Very small portions - and while we don’t want to eat a lot at lunch time the offerings were tiny. IMG_7716.thumb.jpeg.a6ccd0836d1fe7f77e9e78fec51e2435.jpegWorse than that the quality was well under par, quite different to food available everywhere else on the ship. 

To be fair, the ploughman was only 4' 4"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

To be fair, the ploughman was only 4' 4"

But what an odd combination of bits. Surely the essentials of a ploughperson’s is large chunks of bread and cheese, and if you must a couple of picked onions.

I'm over 6 foot, but not a ploughman (too hilly up here). Farmers used to be quite short, all the doorways in my farmhouse are well under 6 foot as my forehead will testify, since it was built several hundred years ago and everyone must have been midget sized in those days.  Though on the one hand that would not be a filling meal for me, on the other hand I greatly prefer food portions to be on the lower side, to avoid food waste or excess consumption to clear the plate. I can always get something else, and there are no reports of people starving to death on Cunard, at least so far.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I'm over 6 foot, but not a ploughman (too hilly up here). Farmers used to be quite short, all the doorways in my farmhouse are well under 6 foot as my forehead will testify, since it was built several hundred years ago and everyone must have been midget sized in those days.  Though on the one hand that would not be a filling meal for me, on the other hand I greatly prefer food portions to be on the lower side, to avoid food waste or excess consumption to clear the plate. I can always get something else, and there are no reports of people starving to death on Cunard, at least so far.

Usually in the restaurants, the portions tend to be too large for us, and my husband often asks for a small one, though, strangely, rarely of puddings. Steaks in particularly are often far too big. However that ploughman’s seems to fail in terms of both ingredients and size.

Improved maternal nutrition makes all the difference to height.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

This is a ploughman’s! (Purchased at a local donkey sanctuary)

if I had had this - even half portions of this, I would have been happy. 

image.thumb.png.20c8ce6dfa4de649dc0a03fa7dfbd44a.png

Not mad about the ham, which looks a bit watery, but in general agree. Definitely the right idea. Is that the Donkey Sanctuary near Sidmouth?

1 minute ago, TowandaUK said:

Yes the donkey sanctuary near Sidmouth. Lovely day out. 

I seem to remember QE2 was taken to visit them when on trials, for some reason.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 3:04 AM, Kordy said:

Curious why on QM2, only lunch is served at the Golden Lion, but not dinner ... ?  QM2 is the flagship of the fleet and yet it seems to have worse service in this regard, than the others?

The concept of evening meals in the Golden Lion (QE) was introduced to accommodate  the guests who often return to ship later in the evening from their shore side tours , this is mainly on the Alaskan itineraries  for example Whale watching and several other ships tours that often take place late afternoon/early evenings .  

More practical for them to pop into the Pub on returning back to ship for a bite to eat without having to worry changing into smart attire.

I expect the reason it is not offered on QM2 is her itineraries are mostly Transatlantic without ports and late evening shoreside tours.