Celebrity Beyond Handicapped Access

Posted (edited)

This is probably a stupid question given Celebrity is know for being an over 55 cruise line, but how accessible is Beyond for a wheelchair or rolling walker?

I was just diagnosed with a spine crushing my nerves. I use a wheelchair to avoid extreme pain and a walker for a few steps. A month ago I was fine. Now I own a wheelchair and waker. Your life can turn on a dime. YOLO, So really live every minute.

Edited by DennysDad

We have been on the Beyond three times. My wife also uses a wheelchair and cannot walk very far before having to stop and sit for a bit. She has spinal stenosis. We have never had a problem with the wheelchair. The cabin hallways are wide enough —- so long as there are no trays in the hallway.  We fold the wheelchair up to store it in the cabin. 

Eden even has an elevator to get down to the restaurant from the main level above it. 

You will have a great time !!!

mac_tlc

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

We have been on the Beyond three times. My wife also uses a wheelchair and cannot walk very far before having to stop and sit for a bit. She has spinal stenosis. We have never had a problem with the wheelchair. The cabin hallways are wide enough —- so long as there are no trays in the hallway.  We fold the wheelchair up to store it in the cabin. 

Eden even has an elevator to get down to the restaurant from the main level above it. 

You will have a great time !!!

mac_tlc

Thank you so very much.

It's a hard condition to live with. Sending her positive thoughts.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

How does Celebrity handle boarding tender boats with a wheel chair or scooter?

If I had mobility issues, I’m not attempting a tender boat myself..many are ran by shoreside companies, and I’m not sure how much they care..YMMV

I would feel comfortable on board and getting on/off a gangway..they seem very accommodating in my experience in watching others.

Best of luck to the OP going forward, they are right, things can change on a dime. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Don't E Class ships have a modern "Gateway" for boarding its own plush  tenders in certain ports?

Regular tender boarding often  involves steep ramps down to the tender & alot of "bobbing" in water while folks board.  Have seen folks injured getting on..Quality of tendets vary..ship vs port supplied.   We try to avoid tenders.

Edited by hcat

48 minutes ago, zitsky said:

In general, wheelchairs and scooters are not permitted on tenders.

As noted, the E class ships may have easier access to the Tender, but then the problem is the shoreside approach which may not be accessible.

8 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

In general, wheelchairs and scooters are not permitted on tenders.

As noted, the E class ships may have easier access to the Tender, but then the problem is the shoreside approach which may not be accessible.

Good point.. did not know wheelchairs and scooters not permitted..hmm    What about walkers that can fold.,( to use in port),?

4 hours ago, DennysDad said:

This is probably a stupid question given Celebrity is know for being an over 55 cruise line, but how accessible is Beyond for a wheelchair or rolling walker?

I was just diagnosed with a spine crushing my nerves. I use a wheelchair to avoid extreme pain and a walker for a few steps. A month ago I was fine. Now I own a wheelchair and waker. Your life can turn on a dime. YOLO, So really live every minute.

Not on Beyond but on other Celebrity ships I have cruised needing a wheelchair following surgery. The positives were that the staff were fantastic and most areas were very easily accessible.

The negatives were that my husband found pushing me on the carpeted areas hard work. We always said if I cruised again with serious mobility issues I would hire a scooter to save his back! The second negative is that you can struggle in ports with tidal changes. We were unable to safely get off the ship in Lisbon until the afternoon.

Other things that may be useful…Test the comfort of the bed and pillows for you on boarding. Your room attendant can swap pillow types and provide a mattress topper if needed.

Obviously I don’t know anything about your condition but on board there should be at least one pool with hoist access. On Eclipse it was the Solarium pool. I was able to discuss water based strengthening exercises with my physio prior to my cruise and the pool attendants were fantastic helping me in and out…Possibly worth chatting to your medical team…

Don’t be reluctant to ask for cushions if you are struggling to get comfortable sitting in the dining chairs…After wriggling for a night or two the M’D obviously spotted my discomfort and came over with two different cushions which after that were ready for me every night on my chair.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zitsky said:

In my DW’s case, she can walk a few steps and can do any stairs into/out of the tenders. We fold up the wheelchair and bring it on the tender so we have it on shore.  Celebrity staff usually is very helpful in getting the chair up and down the stairs. 

On Beyond, the Solarium pool has a lift.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

Not on Beyond but on other Celebrity ships I have cruised needing a wheelchair following surgery. The positives were that the staff were fantastic and most areas were very easily accessible.

The negatives were that my husband found pushing me on the carpeted areas hard work. We always said if I cruised again with serious mobility issues I would hire a scooter to save his back! The second negative is that you can struggle in ports with tidal changes. We were unable to safely get off the ship in Lisbon until the afternoon.

Other things that may be useful…Test the comfort of the bed and pillows for you on boarding. Your room attendant can swap pillow types and provide a mattress topper if needed.

Obviously I don’t know anything about your condition but on board there should be at least one pool with hoist access. On Eclipse it was the Solarium pool. I was able to discuss water based strengthening exercises with my physio prior to my cruise and the pool attendants were fantastic helping me in and out…Possibly worth chatting to your medical team…

Don’t be reluctant to ask for cushions if you are struggling to get comfortable sitting in the dining chairs…After wriggling for a night or two the M’D obviously spotted my discomfort and came over with two different cushions which after that were ready for me every night on my chair.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise!

Thank you so very much for the information. 

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

In my DW’s case, she can walk a few steps and can do any stairs into/out of the tenders. We fold up the wheelchair and bring it on the tender so we have it on shore.  Celebrity staff usually is very helpful in getting the chair up and down the stairs. 

On Beyond, the Solarium pool has a lift.

mac_tlc

Thanks again for all the advice. My situation is much the same as your wife's. I also can walk, but only a few steps without pain. 

• Like 1