Celebrity needs a copy editor

Posted (edited)

Best laugh of the day, in the pre-cruise questionnaire they sent out. Maybe how do YOU like to spend? Like is repeated twice! And yeah, snokerling is the best! Plus I prefer sight seeing, but the sites may be good too. Then in the shorex,  there was a warning that "participants must be able to walk 65 miles..."

How do like to like to spend your day in port?

How do like to like to spend your day in port?

Beach Day
Snokerling
Golfing
Shopping
Site-seeing
Relaxing onboard
Edited by sofietucker
  • Haha 4

OMG 🤦🏻‍♀️ this is good for a chuckle...but not really funny. Professionalism is key to earning the confidence of the consumer in any organization.  Or maybe it's just the educator in me...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Spell check should have caught "snokerling", and maybe it did. It probably created the hyphenated "site-seeing".

Honestly, I have to look up and remind myself on "sightseeing" when I start typing it. On the surface, it makes no sense. "Sight" is the ability to see, so "sightseeing" is literally "the ability to see seeing". And, you "sightsee" to see "sites". So "site-seeing" is perfectly logical. Especially if English isn't your first language.

English is a fun language...

(And now back to my morning coffee and get ready for a baseball game.)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well, Turkey is partly in Europe, and Egypt is west (albeit southwest) of there... But I'd think a minimal knowledge of geography would be required to work at a cruise--or any travel) company. OTOH, I just saw a US survey of 1200 people in which 57% said Arabic numerals should NOT be taught in schools.

Edited by sofietucker
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, markeb said:

Spell check should have caught "snokerling", and maybe it did. It probably created the hyphenated "site-seeing".

Honestly, I have to look up and remind myself on "sightseeing" when I start typing it. On the surface, it makes no sense. "Sight" is the ability to see, so "sightseeing" is literally "the ability to see seeing". And, you "sightsee" to see "sites". So "site-seeing" is perfectly logical. Especially if English isn't your first language.

English is a fun language...

(And now back to my morning coffee and get ready for a baseball game.)

I always thought the traditional term "sightseeing" referred to seeing the sights--that is, places of interest, beyond sites of archaeological and military significance (ruins, battlefields, etc.). For instance, the Eiffel Tower and the Eye ferris wheel in London--or the Cavern Club in Liverpool--are sights but not sites. Virginia Beach's Boardwalk is a sight; its First Landing Park is the site of the English arrival  in the New World...

Edited by sofietucker

11 hours ago, canderson said:

This was one of my favorites from a recent session with my cruise planner:

planner.thumb.jpg.fc2f5f154306204fb4fcbc038e41ce12.jpg

makes ya think twice about feeding your child martinis...

I guess a generous attitude would be that X is deliberately planting "easter eggs" for us to find, to encourage us to keep reading. But I agree with Georgia_Peaches about the lack of professionalism; I used to teach this stuff and tell my students that errors will damage your reputation. Still, it is hereafter known as snokerling to us...