New RCCL SHip coming to Galveston ..maybe next year???

Just returned home form picking upmy docs for our Carnival cruise and the travel agent said she had heard through the grapevine that a RCCL mega ship may be coming to Galveston next year..

She said she can't confirm ..it is just what she had heard.

Anyone else have info on this..I would love to cruise again with RCCL on a large ship.

Loved the Rhapsody by would like to try something else.

Thanks...

From what's been posted on these forums there was some rather expensive changes that needed to be made to accomadate a Voyager class or larger ship. I'm not sure if the Radiance class ships might fit or not.

I don't see this happening unless they do some major dredging at the Galveston cruise terminal. I don't even think they can accommodate Radiance class ships here.

The Grand Princess has no problems in Galveston so the Radiance class should have no problems either.

Grand Princess is 951' x 118' x 26' draft.

Conquest is 962' x 116' x 27' draft.

Radiance is 962' x 106' x 26.7' draft.

Maybe RCCL has relooked at being able to get a Radiance ship in Galveston after the other two ships have had no problems, even though they will have 10 feet less room to spare. It could also be brought in as a replacement for the Galaxy that will not be returning to Galveston.:)

INHO Don't look for another new RCL ship till Fall 07. You can view the galvestion port schdule http://www.portofgalveston.com/cruiseinformation/

and see that in the fall a bunch of ships come in and then leave in the spring leaving just 3 ships (1 rcl & 2 ccl) for the summer. That is how the pattern been for the last couple of years. Unless RCL brings something in for summer 07 to compete with CCL on a 4/5 day schdule we have to wait till fall 07. Also remember its not only the draft its how long the ship is to do the turn around. Maybe some could look that up for us.

Also remember its not only the draft its how long the ship is to do the turn around. Maybe some could look that up for us.

Why not go up about 3 or 4 posts in this very thread to see that someone has already done that?

I'd like to see the Rhapsody do a 10-12night Panama Canal to replace the Galaxy in 2007! We love the ship, Galveston (or Houston) is convenient for us, and as long as the price is less than another line out of FL...

We priced the Galaxy this year & even driving with no airfare needed could still FLY to FL & go on several different ships for less. Wasn't competetive so we had to pass this year. Now that choice is gone, gone, gone...

I'd like to see the Rhapsody do a 10-12night Panama Canal to replace the Galaxy in 2007! We love the ship, Galveston (or Houston) is convenient for us, and as long as the price is less than another line out of FL...

We priced the Galaxy this year & even driving with no airfare needed could still FLY to FL & go on several different ships for less. Wasn't competetive so we had to pass this year. Now that choice is gone, gone, gone...

We checked into the same trip for late 2006 and hoped it was to be on the Rhapsody. Unfortunately the schedules had not changed and if we wanted to go to the Panama Canal, we would have to go to Florida to catch a ship.

Hopefully 2007 will produce a sailing somewhere other than the Western Caribbean out of Galveston on a RC ship.

RCI has siad the channel needs to be dredged to get a large ship in.

RCI has also said, the old oil drilling platform would have to be moved to get a large ship in.

Pick your choice....I also think that the moon is made of blue cheese and all politicians are honest so I guess I believe both RCI answers.

The more precise rumor is that a Radiance class ship will be comming to the new Houston Bayport cruise port. This port will be able to handle 3 cruise ships. The channel will be dredged to accomodate larger ships as well as a turning basin. Here is a link to the new port. It will also be cargo terminal as well.

http://www.portofhouston.com/geninfo/bayportproject.html

Galveston had better quit planning to make changes and start making changes. Houston is after them.

The Barbers cut terminal has been a HUGE controversy here,and once they finally got their approval,they have been very careful not to step on any ECO's toes.Taken from your link

The Port of Houston is not planning and has not requested deepening the channel to 50 feet. For that matter, the Army Corps of Engineers has no such plans, either.

If the Army Corps of Engineers ever decided to deepen the Houston Ship Channel and the Bayport Channel to 50 feet, they would need to complete a separate environmental impact statement. For example, the Houston Ship Channel is currently being deepened to 45 feet from 40 feet. This action required Congressional approval in the Water Resources Development Act, a bond election approval by the voters of Harris County, completion of an EIS by the Corps and annual appropriations by Congress.

The Port of Houston is committed to maintaining established International Standards. In 2002, the Port of Houston became the first U.S. port to achieve compliance with ISO 14001. We received that designation based on voluntary environmental management systems implemented at Barbours Cut and the Central Maintenance Facility.

Now...A given is that I have no idea how deep a Radiance class needs,and maybe 45 feet is enough.

Also,on Mariner in Oct (yeah I know..another he told me) We were told that Texas is being given serious consideration for the Enchantment,but was careful not to say Galveston.

I hope something comes down the pipe...I love Rhapsody...But would love to do a Radiance class.

Now...A given is that I have no idea how deep a Radiance class needs,and maybe 45 feet is enough.

Draft of a Radiance class ship is 26.7 feet. Draft of a Vision class is 24 feet. Does 2.7 feet make all that much difference? Perhaps the problem is in the length or in the turning basin.

Keep in mind that this is only a theory...I haven't got my tape measure out!

I am in Galveston a lot, and have also looked at past and future docking schedules published by the port. Conquest & Grand Princess (the two current "biggies") have always docked at terminal #1. If a ship is at terminal #1, then the turning area in fron of terminal #1 is blocked by the ship that is docked...the second ship must sail past it and turn in front of terminal #2 to dock there. Terminal #2 (the default RCI/Celebrity) sits directly across from an oil rig that has been there for years, and effectively reduces the turning radius in front of terminal #2.

The depth is ok, and the turning radius at #1 is ok, but RCI uses #2, and it's turning radius is smaller...maybe?

Could be...The Grand is only here Nov-April,and there are always alternate sailing days...(Sats)...and since the Splendour is also,Seasonal...Its do-able...Besides,Rhapsody always beats Conquest in...Seems like they have a lot of illness that requires them to return to Coz:confused:

Ok,just a little joke...Well I mean it is true...But I am sure its nothing ,really I am sure its perfectly safe :D

With there only being 4 Radiance class ships I highly doubt one will be going to Galveston.

Oh Eric...Put away your sour grapes....You KNow you wont get anything on that "other" coast :D

Besides....remember,6th largest & fastest growing US Port :)

Oh Eric...Put away your sour grapes....You KNow you wont get anything on that "other" coast :D

Besides....remember,6th largest & fastest growing US Port :)

haa.. sooo true indeed.....:)

Archived