Explora 1 newbie

Queen of my Heart

If you have specific questions, I’d be glad to answer. We will do our 4th EJ cruise in Dec. We are huge fans. Beautiful ships, amazing food, we really enjoy the gym and the included steam and sauna areas of the spa. Entertainment is what you would expect on a smaller ship. More lounge type shows which we like in a lovely venue. So many pools and hot tubs to choose from! Speciality restaurants are outstanding, especially Sakura and their amazing sushi bar. Excursions are pretty standard, perhaps a bit pricey. My negatives: need more bar seating, better ice cream selections and they need to bring back the Moët Champagne. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Queen of my Heart said:

I have only done one ocean cruise before (Seabourn) and am a solo traveller.

We've done a couple of Explora sailings and a bunch of Seabourn.  Both are great in their own ways, just different (Explora aims to be a resort hotel, Seabourn aims to be a luxury cruise).  In terms of differences from Seabourn, here's a few:

- no Officer-hosted tables or much interaction with the ship's officers on Explora 

- Explora has a "solo host" and solo activities (same person who hosts other groups like LGBTQ+ or Friends of Bill)

- no special food orders or changing menus on Explora

- no unlimited caviar 24/7 on Explora (just a few specific menu items that contain caviar, but no caviar for purchase)

- fewer entertainment or guest speaker options on Explora

- Much nicer/newer/bigger "hard product" on Explora as @PrivateIdaho highlighted

- More pool/hot tub options, but prefer SB's service around the pool (chair massages, cold fruit on sticks, etc).

- Excursions on Explora are more expensive and less certain to run than SB; can't use OBC on Explora for excursions you've booked in advance.

- Spa on Explora much bigger/modern than SB, but treatments are more expensive.

- SB has "signature events" like caviar in the surf or marina day or evening at Ephesus

- SB has a loyalty program, Explora does not

- Explora can have more people (~900 vs SB's 450 or 600)

FWIW, my brother was a solo traveler on Explora II recently and had a fantastic time.  

Congrats on giving Explora a try; please share your experience after you sail.  

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 1

No special orders and no caviar?  So is there caviar for purchase?

Which restaurants are open for breakfast and do they have things such as Avocado Toast or would that be a special order and not be able to be ordered?

I love Seabourn and love that there is always a bar person circulating to take drink orders.  Do you have to get up and go to a bar to get a drink (the horror) or do you flag down a waiter….hmm I mean host.

Avocado toast is available everywhere including room service. You will have no problem getting drink service - they’re over eager you won’t even have sat down and gathered your breath before they pounce on you. 
There is no caviar for purchase 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, uktog said:

Avocado toast is available everywhere including room service. You will have no problem getting drink service - they’re over eager you won’t even have sat down and gathered your breath before they pounce on you. 
There is no caviar for purchase 

Thanks.  I guess I will have to suffer through a week without caviar LOL.