LUAU Question

tootsy

Still Old Lahaina Luau. They have the most "authentic" luau in terms of Hawaiian hula - and not risque like some of the other luaus out there. Did you check out the Old Lahaina Luau's website for a description of their luau? They will have traditional crafts demonstrated along with games that kids can participate in before the luau starts. And I think that food should play some role in your decision since that's what you'll be eating for dinner (unless you plan on starving for that meal).

Spleen

While Mai Tais and other drinks are plentiful at Old Lahaina, we didn't see anyone who abused it. JMO but the drinks are kind of weak although they don't limit the quantity, also I would think the operators of OLL would keep a close eye on their patrons. Still if you want to avoid the alcohol, the Luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu is the perfect choice. An excellent adventure/learning experience for all ages but it is a long day. Their entertainment is more varied than OLL and is representative of Polynesia

We will most likely be staying 4 nights pre-cruise on Oahu, probably at the Turtle Bay resort.

The resort is close to the Polynesian Cultural Center and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback about the Horizons show and dinner there?

We will be sailing POH and only have the 1 night, 2 days there and I wanted to know if Old Lahaina Luau was so much better than the other and worth doing, especially with the limited time in Maui.

I've done the evening show at the Polynesian Cultural Center and thought it was a great show & very professionally done. Haven't done the dinner part.

I've also done Germaine's Luau. If you're determined to do a luau on Oahu, there are many sites where you can get tickets for LESS than $65 per person and still get their free transportation from many points in Waikiki.

We booked the Old Lahaina Luau in the traditional seating about 6 weeks ago for a date in August. They still had availability at that time, but I would book ASAP if you're interested in this one as I've heard it is THE BEST in Hawaii and it books up very quickly. They were VERY, very nice and friendly on the phone when I made the reservations, even going out of their way to recommend a nice drive on the way to Lahaina for us.

Definitely rent a van for your group of 7 instead of relying on a shuttle service. We're getting a "premium class" car for about $65 for the entire day.

I've been to the Maui Sheraton's luau (I think this is where NCL takes you if you book through them) and it was the worst luau I've ever seen. There were literally hundreds of people sitting at banquet tables eating horrible banquet food that was really below par. The entertainment was very forgetable and the whole time, I felt like I was at a poorly run wedding reception.

Lady Jag,

Thanks for the info. Reservations for the Old Lahaina Luau on Friday, the 23rd, are all gone, so that's a no-go for us. Not sure what to do now. I really wanted to see a good luau this trip.:(

Anyone seen the Royal Lahaina Luau or the one at the Hyatt?:confused:

If I can't find another good recommendation, I'll just stay with NCL and hope for the best.

Spleen - any other recommendations? We'll be docked with NCL overnight in Kahului on Friday, 6-23-06.

Worried in Indy,

salgal

Sure, no problem! ;) Sorry to hear they're all booked up though. :(

Here's a website that might help:

http://www.gohawaii.com/maui/

Sorry I can't help with the Hyatt luau. The Maui Hyatt, in itself, is a terrific place. Love the pools & waterfalls there and it's right on the beach. Maybe if you post a specific topic on this board about that luau, you'll get some help.

Good luck!

FYI - I just looked up the luau at the Kaanapali Sheraton on Maui and this luau is only held on Wednesdays, which couldn't be the one offered by NCL, as we will be in port on a Friday.:eek: I'm really stumped. My TA or NCL can't or won't tell me which one is offered through the ship. I booked it, so I guess I'll either come back to the boards with praises or gripes. We'll see. Would appreciate it if someone returning from the Pride of Aloha cruise with the overnight in Maui on a Friday could provide an answer for me. Anyone out there going to this NCL luau before me? If so, please return with some info!

salgal

leaving 6-17-06

Spleen, Lady Jag, and the rest:

Well, since reading all of the negative posts about NCL's luau that I had scheduled for the 7 of us, we all decided to cancel that excursion. I couldn't get reservations for the Old Lahaina Luau:( but now have "pending" reservations for the Royal Lahaina Luau, which I've been hearing has a lot less people and is a good show. Have either of you heard anything about this one? Do you know where this Royal Lahaina Resort is located in relation to the Lahaina area?

Also took your advice and we plan to rent a van for that first day (overnight) in Maui, which also gives us the whole day to sightsee and shop. With 7 of us, it's much cheaper to split costs for the van rental than to each pay shuttle charges. I think my SIL plans to use Thrifty for island rentals. Good idea,you think?:rolleyes:

Spleen, you have been such a great help, as have the rest of you. I sincerely want to thank you all for the great advice and personal opinions. If any of you are on this cruise or will be in our vicinity during our cruise, let me know. I'd love to meet the faces with the comments and thank you in person!:p

Thanks again!

ALOHA!:D

salgal (POA 6-18-06)

Salgal - Royal Lahaina is strangely enough in Kaanapali, not Lahaina. It's on the west end of the strip. See the map below:

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/maui_kaanapali.html

Don't recall the comments on this one - I think some have had a good experience - I don't recall anybody coming back and complaining too much about it.

BTW, did you try also for reservations at Feast at Lele? It's run by the same people that do Old Lahaina Luau - it's a little more upscale than OLL and it's table service instead of buffet - but it also gets high marks from people. It may also be sold out like OLL but it might be worth a try ...

http://www.feastatlele.com/

And I think that with 7 of you, renting the van is DEFINITELY the way to go. Just make sure that you have a designated driver!

Spleen

Some info for the Old Lahaina Luau:

When we booked the OLL, we were one of the last people to get in for the date we asked for. Approximately one month prior to sailing, some friends of ours that wanted to go to the OLL, were turned down. They called back again right before the sailing and found out that there was availability, since folks cancel from time to time. Keep checking!:D

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone done a Luau on Kauai, I will be traveling on the Pride of Hawaii the end of June and the only overnight stay is in Kauai. Was hoping to be able to do the Old Lahaina one, but the ship leaves at 6 PM:mad:

Any info on Kauai would be appreciated.

Thanks Spleen, was getting all excited about Smith's, but they only have them on M-W-F, our ship is there on a Saturday night. This is a new cruise on the Pride of Hawaii so hopefully some of the Luaus will change to have one on Sat night.

We will be going to the Royal Lahaina Luau on June 5. I PROMISE to come back and write a full review. We are excited about it after seeing the Travel Channel clip on it! :)

Was wondering anyone who has done the Polynesian Cultural center luau and the Old Lahainia Luau, which did you like better? Have heard the Old Lahainia is the best on the Islands,but wondering how good the PCC one is.Have seen the show years ago and enjoyed it.How longofa drive is it fromthe cruise ship terminal to the Polynesian Cultural center?

DianeF: Both luaus are wonderful. There are several differences.

Polynesian Cultural Center Luau. This luau is on Oahu and is run by the Morman's who operate the Cultural Center. There are no alchoholic drinks at this luau. For kids, this is a must do luau! The Cultural Center is a fabulous way to spend a day viewing the culture of Hawaii.

Old Lahaina Luau: This luau is held in Maui and is a spectacular luau, including exquisite scenery, fabulous entertainment, and a meal that is very well prepared and orderly. Drinks are included, as many as you can handle, and the staff is extremely attentive. The luau is run like a well oiled machine. Very hard not to come away with a great experience. We went in 2003 and will return on our cruise in 2007. Bookings are already being taken for 2007, so call early. They do have a website online. Reservations for seating are taken on a first-come, first-served basis. You can sit on mats "Hawaiian style" or on chairs at long tables that are tiered.

Whichever Luau you book, enjoy!:D

Archived