1 stupid questionl 1 normal question

I will start off the the silly one. I JUST read that Serenade has salt water pools? What the heck does this mean? Sea water? Salt in lieu of chlorine? Can you tell its salt; does it make you sticky like the ocean? I have never heard of such a thing!!!!!!!!!! They didn't have this on HAL. What kind of water in the hot tubs? Are the bathroom showers normal water (HA HA just kidding on that last question)

Second question; What kind of money savings are we talking about when you book the wine package for about 7 - 10 bottles???

Thanks for your help

I'm not quite sure about on the ships, but my brother-in-law's pool is cleaned by some sort of salt water system instead of chlorine. The water is crystal clear, and although I haven't been in it, my nephews and everybody else that swims in it has never said anything about it.

What's funny is when I read something about salt water pools, I thought it was salty like the sea, and never thought about using the salt system to keep it clean.....

salt water pools = ocean water

Why? And how can that be enjoyable? I guess they do it because it is easier then fresh water, is there another reason?

I'm not sure if I would even like to go in the pool now

Why? And how can that be enjoyable? I guess they do it because it is easier then fresh water, is there another reason?

If that is enough to keep you out of the pool, what do you intend to do when you get off the ship and go to the beach on one of the islands? Thousands of people swim in salt water pools every week without suffering any ill effects. Frankly, I, and many others like me, prefer a salt water pool to one of those over-chlorinated fresh water pools that I often find in hotels and municipal pools. If you feel sticky salt on your body after you emerge from the pool there are fresh water showers at poolside. Salt water is also more buoyant so many who are less than skilled swimmers enjoy that quality which salt water provides.

HOW? It is clear and clean. The water is changed every day. There are some lines that use fresh water, but it is not changed. Which you would like to use? If you would only like fresh water, try Princess.

The ship is floating in a large pool of water. That is where the ships get ALL of their water from. Yes, all of their water. The water you drink has to be filtered. HAL does have fresh water pools. That is ocean water that was filtered. Now the only way it is going to make you sick is if you drink it. I would not recommend drinking the pool water, on RCI, on HAL, or from the pool in your friend's backyard. If you don't taste the water, you will not know it is salt water, unless you try and float, and then you will float much easier in salt water than you will in fresh water.

Why? And how can that be enjoyable?

Because you are on a cruise in the middle of the sea?

It's surprising that people choose the ocean as the venue for a vacation, yet express aversion to saltwater pools. Not trying to give you a hard time at all. It's just that when you are actually out in the ocean, it's nice to feel like you are....well...out in the ocean! :) Give it a chance.....

I really love the saltwater pools!!!

Tracy

If you are grossed out by the thought of salt in the water,just imagine what else is in there(with all the kids,people who have been drinking all day,etc..:eek: ).....Now you have something to really focus on........

It may be that some ships still have salt water in their pools, most do not. I know that Holland, Princess and Crystal for example do not. some said that water aboard cruise ships is "filtered." That is not entirely true, All modern cruise ships make their own water, but not by filtering. they make it through a system of very costly and effective evaporators, the equivalent of distilling it at low pressure. this changes salt water to fresh. Then, the water is filtered and treated just as it would be by a municipality in the USA, Canada or the U.K. This purifies it and makes it free of bacteria and safe to drink. Ordinarily, excess freshwater is re filtered and used in the swimming pools just as is is on dry land. but some people prefer saltwater pools to swim in, and I believe some ships have both fresh and salt water pools.

At the present time..all of the Royal Caribbean swimming pools on all of the present in service fleet are saltwater pools.

I have heard that the Jacuzzis are fresh water, but we have never tried them out. I think the one time we were going to..they were netted. :D

First off I grew up on an island and spend weekends out in the ocean jet skiing, water skiing, swimming, fishing etc. I've been snorkeling in the warmer waters and many other ocean sports. I have also been in many swimming pools and they are completely different experiences to me, which is why I asked if the salt pool is still enjoyable, but I will sit still on the beach with salt water (go figure!). I just can't picture sitting still in salt water thats all. I guess I just need to experience it to understand.

Thanks for clearing it up for me, and feedback on the wine package?:cool:

At the present time..all of the Royal Caribbean swimming pools on all of the present in service fleet are saltwater pools.

I have heard that the Jacuzzis are fresh water, but we have never tried them out. I think the one time we were going to..they were netted. :D

I was wondering how they caught the jacuzzis. So they net them - interesting.

Second question; What kind of money savings are we talking about when you book the wine package for about 7 - 10 bottles???

To answer the second part of your question, RCCL claims as follows:

Royal Caribbean’s Diamond, Platinum or

Gold Wine & Dine package enables you

to purchase a predetermined number of

wines from our special selection and save

up to 25% off normal wine list pricing.

For example, if you choose a 5-bottle

package you will receive 5 bottles of wine

that you can consume at any time.

It is less expensive to do the package than to purchase the bottles separately. We purchased a seven-bottle gold package in December.

When it rains over the ocean, is it salt water or fresh water????:confused:

Les

I think its salt, unless there is something built into the ocean converting this fresh water to salt water? However, I find that hard to believe since 70% of the earth is water.. so I think it just rains salt water.:rolleyes:

Thanks KelJ.. looks like we will be buying a big package!

I just can't picture sitting still in salt water thats all. I guess I just need to experience it to understand.

Well CM....if the ship is a-rockin' you won't have to picture it. It will be wavy, just like the surf! lol

Methinks you will love it!

As for the wine.....since I know I will drink wine at dinner, I always get the package. You definitely save money, as long as the smallest package isn't more bottles than you will drink over the course of a week.

Tracy

Yes they net them...to keep the Jacuzzis "free" and the people out and away from them. Apparently they don't want people "bothering" the Jacuzzis at night while they are resting and recirculating.:D

Rain is always fresh water. It comes from clouds, which have nothing do with "out at sea":)

Sorry, I know nothing about the wine package. :p

I think its salt, unless there is something built into the ocean converting this fresh water to salt water? However, I find that hard to believe since 70% of the earth is water.. so I think it just rains salt water.:rolleyes: Thanks KelJ.. looks like we will be buying a big package!

When it rains in the ocean it is fresh water. Water evaporates, salt doesn't.

Why do you think people stranded at sea hope for rain.... it can become their drinking water if they can catch it.

When it rains in the ocean it is fresh water. Water evaporates, salt doesn't.

Why do you think people stranded at sea hope for rain.... it can become their drinking water if they can catch it.

Sounds like elemtary school all over again:eek:

Well you started it! Obviously we have nothing better to do on Friday evenings, and have no other social life other than the boards and cruising!:D It is raining here again., and more:(

I am getting old, gotta stay in and gather up my energy for my cruise on the 22nd!!

Nice and sunny here, just in time for me to leave town for my holiday. Doesn't it always work that way?

Archived