1/2 day trip to baths with Patouche

AllenF

We just got back and we used Patouche to do a trip to the Baths on Virgin gorda. They were outstanding great service and great price and we beat the ships excursions and Speedy's there. We snorkeled/swam in to the side everybody walks to thru the rocks and then we went to the other side and snorkeled back to the boat. They provided us with drinks and info about the baths. We took the extreme machine over it holds 50 but we had about 12 in my group and we combined with the frequent floaters group of about 25. Originally we were both going to have to seperate groups using 2 boats but we joined up and had a blast the boat was not crowded and had an upper and a lower deck. Great Tour :)

http://www.patouche.com/day_charters.htm

I would like to do Patouche when the Carnival Legend arrives there on June 18th. However since this a Sunday does anyone know what time they leave and what the cost is for adults and children. Legend I believe is only there until 2:00, but it is the only ship that day.

As the group leader of the Frequent Floaters I always try and find a good tour company that offer exception service and value for my group.

I started my groups tour option research back in Oct. of 05. I think I must have emailed Julie over 100 times with so many questions. She was quick to reply and always gave me answers to any of the questions that the group would throw my way. First I had arranged to have the boat privately since we are an all adult group and wanted to keep it that way. Some companies will not let you do this unless you charter the boat for the full amount of passengers it will hold or you pay for the empty seats. Julie was great, she said come on go have fun even if I had only 30 persons. She also set up our taxi service for us ahead of time so all we had to do was get off the ship, sit down shut up and away we went.

We got to the Patouche office and were greeted by Bosco and Squirt along with a smiling Julie. I agreed to have Allen's group join ours as both groups had some drop outs for that day and it made more sense to use just one boat.

As Allen mentioned we were fast out on the water and hit the beach before it got really crowded. A real plus with this fast boat. The crew provided us with beer, rum punch or sodas and a brief history of the surrounding islands on the trip over to Virgin Gorda. We were given brief instructions on our options for the trip from the boat to the beach, snorkel equipment if you needed it, waist belts to help make it much easier for those that weren't good swimmers and even for those that were well versed at this type of thing. They even made sure that the one gal that had never been in the ocean before was comfortable for her first time.

There was enough time to walk under,over and thru the interesting boulders before getting to the small area of vendors with shirts and drinks. No hassels from anyone though.

Great snorkeling all the way back to the boat. More beer, punch and juice for the trip home.

Great company to do business with and a much better way to go for just a little extra more than the ferry.

• 3 weeks later...
As Allen mentioned we were fast out on the water and hit the beach before it got really crowded. A real plus with this fast boat. The crew provided us with beer, rum punch or sodas and a brief history of the surrounding islands on the trip over to Virgin Gorda. We were given brief instructions on our options for the trip from the boat to the beach, snorkel equipment if you needed it, waist belts to help make it much easier for those that weren't good swimmers and even for those that were well versed at this type of thing. They even made sure that the one gal that had never been in the ocean before was comfortable for her first time.

There was enough time to walk under,over and thru the interesting boulders before getting to the small area of vendors with shirts and drinks. No hassels from anyone though.

Great snorkeling all the way back to the boat. More beer, punch and juice for the trip home.

Great company to do business with and a much better way to go for just a little extra more than the ferry.

How deep is the water from the boat to shore? I am not a swimmer, but this excursion sounds great.

Thanks & regards,

Arlene

How deep is the water from the boat to shore? I am not a swimmer, but this excursion sounds great.

Thanks & regards,

Arlene

Arlene,

You can't touch the bottom from where the boat anchors. It is not a long swim to the beach where you start the tour through the baths. You have the choice to swim back from the beach at the end of the caves which is allot longer swim so I would suggest that you walk back to the arrival beach then swim back to the boat. The crew makes sure you are secure enough with either a ring or board to float with. One gal in my group has never even been in the ocean as she is a non swimmer. She did this and was so thankful that she did. It was a highlight for her, something she will never forget.

Arlene,

I can't swim a lick but the folks a Patouche will take good care of you, as they have always done for me. Weak or non swimmers are one of their specialties and they have the necessary floatation gear for you. No worries!;)

Hi:

Does anyone have any photos of the boat anchored off of the baths so I have an idea of how far it is to shore.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Regards,

Arlene

About this far, but think it could vary...

Wow, these pictures are fabulous. I can tell much better from these than the ones you emailed me as they were very small.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Arlene

• 1 month later...

You should ask Julie at Patouche. They have smaller boats so if you find others on you sailing that may want to go with Julie may work with you on that. Definatly worth the effort to get others to join you if Julie can put it together.

There is a ferry, Speedy's but I do not know the particulars.

• 1 month later...

I was planning on booking a trip to The Baths with Patouche, but unfortunately they don't have a scheduled trip on the day that I will be there. I would have to charter their boat oil and water and I don't have enough people to do this. Anyhow, we were thinking about taking Speedy's over there. I don't think this is a tour but just a ferry. Has anyone else used Speedys? I really dont want to miss out on the baths/virgin gorda. Does anyone have any other suggestions or a good tour to use (if not speedys)?

I was planning on booking a trip to The Baths with Patouche, but unfortunately they don't have a scheduled trip on the day that I will be there. I would have to charter their boat oil and water and I don't have enough people to do this. Anyhow, we were thinking about taking Speedy's over there. I don't think this is a tour but just a ferry. Has anyone else used Speedys? I really dont want to miss out on the baths/virgin gorda. Does anyone have any other suggestions or a good tour to use (if not speedys)?

Does your ship have an excursion to the Baths? We are planning to book thru the ship because I would be afraid that we won't make it back to the ship on time if we do it on our own and take the ferry with Speedy's. It will cost more, but I think it would be worth it.

Regards,

Yes, my ship does have an excursion for this. I think I will have to give it some thought and a lil more research. Normally, I don't worry about getting back on time, because there is always enough time, but we have to be back onboard at 3:00 pm. :( The first ferry leaves at 9:00 am and I guess the last one is 11:30. This really doesn't seem like enough time. I can never understand why they don't give us more time at some of these ports. :-(

One couple in my group used Speedy's. Had a hard time finding it (of course they never pre plan anything so had no clue) Then I guess you are dropped off and have to hike down the hill to the Baths area where they had to pay an entrance fee. Again since I didn't do this not too sure on what they are saying.. I do know they made it back to the ship no problems.

You can always ask on the roll call boards for your sailing to see if others would be interested in joining you on the trip with Patouche. It is defanitly worth trying to get others to join you for this relaxing way to go and back. We had lots of time to shop, hit pussers for a drink and back to the ship.

Does anyone know if it would be safe to bring my digital camera on the excursion with patchoue and leave it on their boat???? Will it get wet?

I plan on bringing waterproof cameras for the water, but my digital always takes much nicer pictures.

Those in my group that left valuables on the boat had no problems at all.

The captain was the only person that stayed behind with the boat all the crew went along with the pax.

BTW several of us purchased the waterproof neck wallets for $$, sail & sign card plus they held our digital cameras. If you get the good ones (Magellans Cataloge is where I got mine) they really work. Not a drop of water..

Oh and at the beach there is a few vendor stands where you can purchase tees, hats other misc things as well as food and drink, so take some $$$ along.

Archived