Will RCI ever improve in Tampa....

Okay - I would just love to be able to drive 20 minutes around the corner and jump on a RCI ship. The Grandeur was here after Katrina, but that just didn't work out with timing. I know that the Voyager class wont work because of the Sunshine Skyway (still working on a way around that - or through it - j/k LOL)!!! But come on already!!! Tampa is doing all of these great things to improve downtown, but RCI doesn't show any sign of improving its options from Tampa. The ships and itineraries that it runs are not very appealing for the price. It seems like Carnival has the market here.

What am I missing??? Why wont RCI improve their market out of Tampa?

I takes so long to get through Tampa Bay, which cost money in fuel. They have a lot of fog problems in the bay. It can't handle very large ships because of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. I love the city of Tampa and I have cruised out of it, but I don't think you see anything bigger than a Legend Class ship.

Tampa has a really nice port facility. I've sailed from several others and can honestly say, this one is the easiest to navigate. Plus you have the shops and restaurants to visit while you wait to board - no need to taxi to another location. I don't know what it takes to get onto RCI's case about it... Carnival's ships are usually pretty full, I can't help but think that RCI would have the same experience. Maybe local government needs to step up?

Liz

I agree! Neither Orlando or Miami have the setup that Tampa has with Channelside and the aquarium right there!

Let me pose a new question here....RCI is spending billions and probably trillions to produce multiple Freedom Class and now even the Genesis class ships. Would it kill them to bring out a newer, smaller ship that could sail from Tampa. I think I could get over the itineraries for a newer ship!

If you've seen the plans for downtown the models show about 7 cruise ships...not sure where they plan on getting them all from!!!

Living in Tampa Bay I totally agree with the other poster. Having taken about 18 cruises ( only one out of Tampa) I feel that this port only gets the older ships that are not very appealing. I know that Carnival had a 90,000 ton ship here but I forget which one. Having said that, I would think that the other lines could do something to improve on the market here. I am not a Carnival "fan" and would love to see NCL or Princess in our ports. I drive by the port daily on my way to work. I would also like to see a better selection of ports out of Tampa Right now all your choices are the West on smaller, older ships. I feel that the port of Tampa and the whole bay area have a lot to offer but alas, we are neglected by the cruise industry.

I agree! Neither Orlando or Miami have the setup that Tampa has with Channelside and the aquarium right there!

Let me pose a new question here....RCI is spending billions and probably trillions to produce multiple Freedom Class and now even the Genesis class ships. Would it kill them to bring out a newer, smaller ship that could sail from Tampa. I think I could get over the itineraries for a newer ship!

If you've seen the plans for downtown the models show about 7 cruise ships...not sure where they plan on getting them all from!!!

Smaller ships are more expensive to operate and the larger cruise lines are building bigger, not smaller. Tampa has no one to blame but themselves. When the new Sunshine Skyway was being planned no one thought about cruise ships getting larger and larger. Tampa is limited to the older ships. They were lucky that Carnival brought the Miracle in but they still have problems on occasion with fog shutting down the channel and having to dock at other facilities when gas tankers are in. I cruised out of Tampa once when I lived in the bay area. I saw nothing special about it at all.

Personally I don't think any ports thought of the size of some of these ships now. 200,000 ton ship :eek: wow how would have thought.. As for the port I sailed twice out of tampa. We will be sailing on Legend in Dec. and hope to sail on Miracle in the future. I wish Tampa could bring in more ships. Its my home town and its easy for us to travel there.

Kim

Maybe its just logistics..You have Miami Ft Lauderdale and PC,which are huge ports of course...Then they have Galveston,and hopefully NO up and running again.Maybe because of the central location,you guys get bypassed :(

Personally I don't think any ports thought of the size of some of these ships now. 200,000 ton ship :eek: wow how would have thought.. As for the port I sailed twice out of tampa. We will be sailing on Legend in Dec. and hope to sail on Miracle in the future. I wish Tampa could bring in more ships. Its my home town and its easy for us to travel there.

Kim

The difference with the other ports, they can build larger facilities to handle the big ships. Impossible to do in Tampa with the Sunshine Skyway as I don't see that bridge coming down anytime soon.

The difference with the other ports, they can build larger facilities to handle the big ships. Impossible to do in Tampa with the Sunshine Skyway as I don't see that bridge coming down anytime soon.

Well, what's the problem! I don't understand! Why can't we just rebuild it! I'm sure the barge that hit the Gandy bridge would be willing to help out!

Well, what's the problem! I don't understand! Why can't we just rebuild it! I'm sure the barge that hit the Gandy bridge would be willing to help out!

lol...that was funny....

anywho...so we are getting enchantment and grandeur...but not until 07/08....and only during "snowbird" season...go figure!

what about us locals!!!???

lol...that was funny....

anywho...so we are getting enchantment and grandeur...but not until 07/08....and only during "snowbird" season...go figure!

what about us locals!!!???

I guess that's a start! Maybe a few more requests to RCCL and they'll get the point! I would be fine if they brought the Jewel here!!!!! I know, I know....wishful thinking! I'm serious, I know plenty of people that hate the Sunshine Skyway...just for different reasons! What were they thinking anyway!!!!!!????? LOL About the only thing it's good for is seeing the ships sailing under if you happen to be there at just the right moment (and it isn't so windy you're scared to death you will blow over!) Sorry - I'm not much of a bridge person!

Archived